The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

More People Attended Paul Walker's Memorial Than Nelson Mandela's Vancouver Memorial

DonLever

I don't see a problem with more people mourning for Paul Walker, even though Mandela was a much more important world figure. It's the way they died. Walker was young and died in a tragic car accident, Mandela died of old age. Pretty sure if Walker died of old age 40 years from now instead, there wouldn't be as big a fuss about it. And by all accounts, Walker seemed like a pretty decent guy... Nothing wrong with car enthusiasts gathering to remember him.

People are making this a way bigger issue than it is. That's what's wrong with society.

I grew up watching the fast and furious movies and loved cars in general. The only time I ever learned about Nelson Mandela was in social studies or history in high school.

So I'm pretty sure for the people who went for Mandelas funeral were older gents and for walkers it was probably mid 20s to 30s.

Remember when Cory Montieth died in Vancouver this year? We saw hundreds gathered outside the hotel where he died. For several days. Dozens of women were weeping and flowers piled high on the sidewalk

We don't see the same scene for a revered world leader like Mandela, yet some people poured out their emotions for a guy who had ONE hit tv show. Go figure.

In 10, 25, 50 years, who do you think will be remembered, Paul Walker, Cory Montieth, or Mandela?

I would put my money on Mandela.

They were both men and I am sure Mandela would be disgusted that people were even making such a completely meaningless comparison of the two. Yes Mandela will go down in history for his defiance in the face of tyranny, how many people mourn him is irrelevant. How many people understand the message he was trying to get across is more what I am concerned about.

Remember when Cory Montieth died in Vancouver this year? We saw hundreds gathered outside the hotel where he died. For several days. Dozens of women were weeping and flowers piled high on the sidewalk

We don't see the same scene for a revered world leader like Mandela, yet some people poured out their emotions for a guy who had ONE hit tv show. Go figure.

In 10, 25, 50 years, who do you think will be remembered, Paul Walker, Cory Montieth, or Mandela?

I would put my money on Mandela.

who cares? honestly? why do you care about this stuff?

a car club wanted to honour a dude who probably got them into cars, or at least legitimized their interest. so they got a group together and raised some money and went on a cruise. why does this bother you?

don't blame the kids blame the school system especially down south where they quite often deal with local history or US history only i have met plenty of Americans come up here for high school and know squat about World History

wait... blame the schools down south because more people in VANCOUVER attended Paul Walker's memorial than Mandela's? I'm not sure what is worse, the fact that you had to reach THAT far just to degrade US schools or the fact that others were more than willing to follow and support such a flawed opinion.

Not really a fair comparison.

Paul Walkers "Memorial" was as much a fundraiser as it was a memorial, dedicated to the Typhoon victims in the Philippines which Walker was raising money for at the time of his death. Mandelas was more of a straight up memorial to honour him.

Personally, I never knew who Paul Walker was before he died, once I saw the face I recognized him, but I had no idea the guy from Fast and Furious was as popular as he was. Seems like he was a good guy though, undertook a lot of causes and raised a lot of money.

It's pretty sad how few people know about Mandela and what he did, don't think he was ever mentioned in school which is pretty sad. He was truly one of the most influential and important world leaders of the past century, and I'm sure if more people were exposed to what he did there would be more mourning him.

I really like how the French honoured Mandela by lighting up the Eiffel Tower in the colours of the South African flag.

1841313.jpg

who cares? honestly? why do you care about this stuff?

a car club wanted to honour a dude who probably got them into cars, or at least legitimized their interest. so they got a group together and raised some money and went on a cruise. why does this bother you?

It does not bother me at all. I am just looking at this from a philosophy point of view. Like what the priority in life is.

I don't know why you are making a big deal out of this, I would say that it's pretty obvious why more people attended the Paul Walker Tribute/Fundraising ride as compared to the Nelson Mandela memorial.

I would just go ahead and say that most of the people at the Paul Walker ride were between 17-25 years old, most of the people in that age range probably wouldn't know who Nelson Mandela is. If they do know who he is than they would most likely not know what he did.

In high school I don't even think they mentioned Nelson Mandela once and most people obviously knew who Paul Walker was as we have grown up watching the Fast and Furious movies. I don't think a lot of 30+ year olds would have gone out to the Nelson Mandela memorial as they are busy with more important things or don't care as much as the people who went to the PW cruise.

For example, if Kofi Annan and lets say Lady Gaga were to die within the same week, who do you honestly believe would have more people attend a memorial for them?

Edit: I'm 19 and I really didn't know what Nelson Mandela did in South Africa or for the world, but I had heard of who he was and that he was an important person in history. I'm not saying all people who are 17-25 wouldn't know who he is, but many most likely wouldn't.

It does not bother me at all. I am just looking at this from a philosophy point of view. Like what the priority in life is.

oh, sorry. i thought you were trying to be 'smug old guy doesn't get pop culture' or something. but if we're talking about this from a "philosophical" point of view, then i'd say you're absolutely right then. Mandela WILL be mentioned in a few high school history classes down the line. he'll be mentioned briefly for 20 minutes in a class one week of the year.

while Paul Walker may not be mentioned at all, he DID, at least indirectly, propagate the capitalist process (surely much to Mandela's chagrin). Marx was surely right when he said capitalism is a vampire. You can't kill it. Mandela, on the other hand, is dead. His dream will live on as a paragraph in a history text book, while the capitalist process will continue to consume and re-produce itself, again as marx said, like an ouroboros

so what does this say about our priorities in life? easy: capitalism won.

Mandela was a political figure, and much like Gandhi, Mother Teresa or the Dalai Lama, people wind up finding out they were far less extraordinary people than depicted. On the other hand, hard to argue with a guy who entertained people and gave locally to charities along with volunteering his own time, which many entertainers can't be arsed to do. People value entertainment highly, this should come as no surprise. What's more shocking to me is supposed intellectuals who are turning their noses up at others for not being fanatical about Mandela (or "history") don't seem to, themselves, be thinking very much.

Archived