The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shanahan's incompetence bearing proof

Suspensions should be ruled by an independant comitee made up of former players, refs and manegement types. A clear set of undisputable rules should be on the ice with no tolorance. Doesn't matter if it's game 1 of the season or 7 of the final. The rules need to be enforced professionally. Refs are too worried about entertainment and that needs to end. If the game was policed properly the entertainment would follow. (open ice and skill players not being gooned)

Yep, considering how many dirty plays that have happened this year already, it's clear that the disciplinary system is having negative effects, and will continue to get worse until they fix it.

The league has a chance to make things better depending on what they do with Thornton. Though I'm guessing they'll make things worse instead.

Thornton weighed the odds & knowing that the DPS has the Bruins' back...he went for it. The league's tolerance for violence, maliciousness & acts of retribution perpetrated by Bruins (& other O-6s)....is very different. These entitlements have created confusion through-out the league. Thornton, as a multiple-suspension-dodger in the past...is clearly banking on discounted discipline....as did Duncan Keith before he blind-sided & targetted Daniel Sedin. They both weighed the odds 1st. Non-hockey play violence is indefensible...but clearly it is NOT being discouraged enough in certain markets by the league... & by extension the DPS.

Suspensions should be ruled by an independant comitee made up of former players, refs and manegement types. A clear set of undisputable rules should be on the ice with no tolorance. Doesn't matter if it's game 1 of the season or 7 of the final. The rules need to be enforced professionally. Refs are too worried about entertainment and that needs to end. If the game was policed properly the entertainment would follow. (open ice and skill players not being gooned)

There are certain referees or officials who are far too worried about losing their shot at advancement to post-career league positions. What if....they were to piss-off the wrong people in power? Thats the real problem here. Last season - it wasn't the junior officials making the most "questionable" calls. It wasn't junior officals being flown from coast to coast to work...certain games. With no less than 45 other potential referees available to choose from, VanCity had signifigant cause to distrust only 2 particular officials....yet these were the very guys that the league regularly chose to fly-in & work the VanCity games vs 2 of the O-6s.

On the ice,...in the leagues board rooms...& within NHLOA...this league is all about power-mongering & pay backs. Can't wait to see what a new commsisioner would do to clean house & level the playing field for everyone.

I would say his inconsistency shapes how players play more so. Also, suspensions I think, need to be longer to get players to change their attitudes.

Agreed. Look at Matt Cooke. He was one of the dirtiest players in the league, after a couple lengthy suspensions he vowed to change his game and has. Still has a reputation but is a much better and cleaner player now.

Not a chance. Players do what they can get away with. The NHLPA doesn't regulate play in the league. Once again, open your eyes.

They do it in the IIHF well enough. The standards have produced some of the best tournament play that I have ever seen. Did you think that the 2010 Olympic hockey tournament was well-officiated & played? Same refs...just rules with teeth...to keep the discipline & a lid on things. NO hot-heads or super-pest antagonists would be allowed to remain in an international game today. They are forced by the rules & the consequences...to have a greater respect for their on-ice opponents.

The NHL needs to move forward on this...not backwards. Shouldn't Gino Odjick's current plight give folks a little more reason to pause....& think about this issue - again?

The 2013-2014 season has been one of unprecedented attacks against player safety.

Rick Nash spoke about the issue shortly before returning to the ice. He stated "You watch the highlights and it seems that there's a head shot every night."

Just today Zac Rinaldo attacked Antoine Roussel, James Neal kneed Brad Marchand, and Shawn Thornton attacked Brooks Orpik sending him off ice on a stretcher. That's one days worth of games.

While the players are professionals, they are playing in a league without a moral compass. The officials are woefully inadequate at their jobs and Brendan Shanahan has failed miserably at providing the NHL with any kind of consistency.

In effect, the leagues rules are essentially open to interpretation. In a sport as fast and brutal as hockey, this is a recipe for disaster.

This is true of all the major sports. Different umpires have different strike zones in baseball, pass interference is called differently from football game to football game. The NHL fails in having such a wide range in how games are called. Games are called differently through the course of the game as well as the course of the season. The playoffs are another animal entirely. It's aggravating, a penalty is a penalty is a penalty, preseason, regular season or playoffs, regardless of score or circumstance.

We all see it, games are managed rather than called as seen. Eg: Ref. 1 "Home team is down by 2 in the 2nd period, geez, how many penalties is the visiting team going to get called for?" Ref. 2 "I dunno, as many as it takes to get the homies back in the game." It's all so predicatable.

As for the players being professionals, I wonder how much of their inhumanity is chemical related. Steroids and amphetamines are the first 2 that come to mind. In post game interviews some guys look and sound like they are hepped up on a lot more than adrenaline.

Shanahans shanahanigans are a joke, absolutley no consistency to suspensions or what is suspendable. I fail to see the difference between Lupuls' attempted elbow on Henrik and Keiths' elbow on Daniel. Both are attempts to injure, Keith got 5 for success and Lupul should have got 3 for the attempt.

How to fix the game? Name Gretzky Czar of all things Hockey on planet Earth and give him carte blanche to get rid of the rot and shore up the foundations of the best game in the world?

This is true of all the major sports. Different umpires have different strike zones in baseball, pass interference is called differently from football game to football game. The NHL fails in having such a wide range in how games are called. Games are called differently through the course of the game as well as the course of the season. The playoffs are another animal entirely. It's aggravating, a penalty is a penalty is a penalty, preseason, regular season or playoffs, regardless of score or circumstance.

We all see it, games are managed rather than called as seen. Eg: Ref. 1 "Home team is down by 2 in the 2nd period, geez, how many penalties is the visiting team going to get called for?" Ref. 2 "I dunno, as many as it takes to get the homies back in the game." It's all so predicatable.

As for the players being professionals, I wonder how much of their inhumanity is chemical related. Steroids and amphetamines are the first 2 that come to mind. In post game interviews some guys look and sound like they are hepped up on a lot more than adrenaline.

Shanahans shanahanigans are a joke, absolutley no consistency to suspensions or what is suspendable. I fail to see the difference between Lupuls' attempted elbow on Henrik and Keiths' elbow on Daniel. Both are attempts to injure, Keith got 5 for success and Lupul should have got 3 for the attempt.

How to fix the game? Name Gretzky Czar of all things Hockey on planet Earth and give him carte blanche to get rid of the rot and shore up the foundations of the best game in the world?

I agree with this. I don't think the nhl is fake as the wwf, but the fix is in, and the refs definately can change the outcome of a game. But I guess considering the background of alot of the owners and what they're tied up in(especially ours) it should come as no surprise. It's only business.

His suspensions shape how players play the game. They indicate what is suspendable and what is permissible. It does affect the game. Open your eyes.

Punishment is not a deterrent. When you are in the heat of a play, you're not thinking "I'm not going to do this because I might get suspended".

Agreed. Look at Matt Cooke. He was one of the dirtiest players in the league, after a couple lengthy suspensions he vowed to change his game and has. Still has a reputation but is a much better and cleaner player now.

BS, Matt Cooke is as dirty as ever, he has just learned to be sneakier about it.

Archived