Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

No respect in league and only a matter of time befor a player dies from a dirty play

Discussion

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 Maniwaki Canuck

Maniwaki Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

Those of you who point to the NFL about this stuff as better are right. But the NHL is run by a bunch of neandethals who want to keep the debate right where it is: should we go back to the pre-instigator days or not? What a joke. Players do not, and never have, "policed themselves". That's part of the same bush-league mentality that gives us "game management" and all the rest of the crap that passes for normal in this league.
The culture of the game has to change, and the biggest part of that is the refereeing. But an olympic sized ice surface would help too, by putting more emphasis on skating and less on hitting. Physical play doesn't have to be made illegal: you can cut down on it by giving more room to skill players. As long as we have small ice surfaces, the cage-match paradigm will continue to prevail and fringe players will behave accordingly. In short, there are some structural problems with the game that no amount of outrage or moralizing will fix.

#32 Maniwaki Canuck

Maniwaki Canuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

Getting your "face beat in" as a routine part of the game is hardly safer. There's a reason players from that era are now paying a price with long term health issues.

No kidding, including, of course, our own beloved Gino, probably my favourite Canuck of all time. I realize it's a bit hypocritical to love what he did for the team as an enforcer on the one hand, and want the more extreme versions of that out of the game on the other, but the human cost is too great.

#33 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,870 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 04:24 PM

When there's a niche role carved out for "energy"/ "agitating guys like Marchand and Kaleta, whose jobs are to "throw opponents off their game" with borderline antics, then it's no surprise that these kinds of guys are deemed as getting, if this was the real world, their just desserts (whether this is through policing e.g. reffing or vigilante justice e.g. a goon runs them).

I'm not saying that I want to see it happen but hey, I could envision another Steve Moore - Bertuzzi incident among the very worst scenarios. Someone could crush or even pummel another team's guy to unconsciousness or even death just because the hit took their guy out and, in the heat of the moment, the retaliatory act goes too far. Thornton on Orpik almost reached that stage with Brooks getting K.O.'d.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#34 Mustapha

Mustapha

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

3 point games

Lame shootouts

Games are more about selling merch than real entertainment.

Too many refs on the ice

Too many BS teams in BS cities (Tampa Bay? Raleigh? Like Justin Faulk off)

NHL hockey is ruined already, so who cares.

bobssig.jpg

this is why i shaked my head at those Canuck fans that cheered on the fLames to make the playoffs... that fan base is stupid as f thats the fan base that still to this day are convinced Alberts faked going down for a call on hit on that McGrattan hit that sent him to retirement. 

I hated that fan base since 04 and will forever hate them. they have such a huge inferiority complex about our team and the city/province. I hope we dispose of these losers quickly. 

#35 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 12:36 AM

The mix of suspensions vs on ice justice make getting respect hard these days. Respect among players only happens when they earn it from their opposition, not because some dude sitting in an office 1000 miles away says you should be respectful. Also, class is waaay overated, this is Hockey, not horse polo.

#36 ice orca

ice orca

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,608 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 07:33 AM

Anybody find it odd that it's taking almost week to get a ruling on Thornton? Jacobs has probably been screaming in Bettmans ear for the last 4 days about how Thornton I such a nice guy and class act, you know he had to fight 7 of those dirty Canucks at once in a game 2 years ago.

#37 Tre Mac

Tre Mac

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:26 AM

People get outraged about John Scott having a roster spot but he is exactly what the League needs to refrain players from cheapshots. If Scott played for the penguins there's no way Thornton goes after Orpik like that. To me, the 90's were the hayday of hockey. Awesome pace, high scoring and a enforcer on every team. Thats how hockey should be played.

#38 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,284 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:15 AM

The instigator penalty doesn't just prevent fighters from going after cheap artists.

Before the instigator penalty, the Flyers would simply have a goon grab a star player and start punching him, to trade off a worse player for a better one, and intimidate more skilled teams into submission.

And why give goons MORE opportunities to start fights after clean hits? Orpik shouldn't have to fight for his clean hit if he didn't want to.

PBF020-Skub.gif

#39 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,284 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:19 AM

People get outraged about John Scott having a roster spot but he is exactly what the League needs to refrain players from cheapshots. If Scott played for the penguins there's no way Thornton goes after Orpik like that. To me, the 90's were the hayday of hockey. Awesome pace, high scoring and a enforcer on every team. Thats how hockey should be played.

Don't forget "Shadows" water-skiing on star players. And skilled guys getting pushed out of the league by goons.

NHL hockey is better now. Scoring is down because of the high quality of players, goaltenders, and coaching systems.

PBF020-Skub.gif

#40 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,629 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Don't forget "Shadows" water-skiing on star players. And skilled guys getting pushed out of the league by goons.

NHL hockey is better now. Scoring is down because of the high quality of players, goaltenders, and coaching systems.

I agree with D-Mo.
Guys like Thornton and Neil are in the NHL because they can play the game and bring an edge.
John Scott - not sure it's as easy to argue his merit as a skater.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.