The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone know is Jaw Surgery is covered by MSP? (Orthognathic)

key2thecup

I'm going to be getting braces, the doc recommends orthognathic surgery as well as I have a underbite..... I think I would benefit from it as well aesthetically..... it depends on the cost though.

Does anyone know if MSP covers this surgery?

Cause I don't have employee dental coverage or anything like that, I'm paying for the braces out of my pocket...

I read this under the dental surgery guide gov of bc and I'm confused...

Covered services generally include consultations, extractions, orthognathic surgery,

trauma, etc. Services not covered by MSP include restorations, as well as radiographs and

other diagnostic services, unless specifically listed in these Schedules. Please note that booking or admitting fees for covered services are not permitted under Section 17 of the

Medicare Protection Act. Given the mix of priv

ate and public coverage, it is important that

patients be clearly advised what portion of t

heir services are covered by MSP and what is

the patient’s responsibility.

Hmm thanks for the quote. Did he refer you to an oral surgeon?

Edit: http://www.archwired...opic.php?t=6302

I doubt many on CDC will know, unless they're oral surgeons themselves. Is your doc a GP or are you referring to "doc" as your dentist?

Nope ortho...... the referal to the surgeon is going to cost 300 for a consult ... so I want to learn beforehand..... or most likely will go without the surgery since i don't have a extra 4-8K to pay for that on top of the braces lol

Just call your dentist and ask - they will tell you if what they are recommending is covered or not. But if you know that the referral will cost you $300, then it is most likely elective and you will have to pay out of pocket. If it was a medically necessary procedure, the referral would be part of that and covered by MSP.

I have had that surgery performed by Dr. Gill in Langley. The short answer is no MSP doesnt cover the surgery. Mine set me back $5500 (private insurance wouldnt cover that either). Really evaluate whether the surgery is worth it to you: The pros are how the teeth look. The cons are the cost and potential loss of sensation in the gums or around the mouth. I will say that recovery time was about 6-8 weeks and you will not be doing anything physical for a month post surger (and you'll likely have periodic nosebleeds the first couple of days post surgery). Also if you do decide to proceed make sure you follow the instructions to the letter. Hope that helps.

Archived