The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1st Grade Boy Suspended for ‘sexual harassment’... For Kissing A Girl on The Hand

TOMapleLaughs

Six-year-old Hunter Yelton, a first grader at Lincoln School of Science & Technology in Canon City, Colorado, was recently suspended for kissing a girl in his class on the hand.

Six-year-old Hunter Yelton, a first grader at Lincoln School of Science & Technology in Canon City, Colorado, was recently suspended for kissing a girlin his class on the hand. Hunter spoke to KRDO Newschannel 13 and explained, "It was during class yeah. We were doing reading group and I leaned over and kissed her on the hand. That's what happened." The boy went on to take responsibility for what he did, "She sent me to the office, fair and square. I did something wrong and I feel sorry. I’ve been trying to be good at school."

Hunter got in trouble because his actions fit the elementary school’s definition of ‘sexual harassment.’ So now Little Hunter has a record with school district RE-1 as a sexual harassment offender.

It’s terminology that Hunter’s mother, Jennifer Saunders, felt was inappropriate saying, “'Sexual harassment.’ This is taking it to a, to an extreme that doesn't need to be met with a six-year-old. Now my son is asking questions, ‘What is sex mommy? It should not ever be said, ‘Sex,’ in a sentence with a six year old."

This is not Hunter’s first run in with the school authorities as he’s been suspended in the past for rough-housing and for kissing the same girl from this most recent incident, on the cheek. The female classmate and her parents have not come forward but according to Ms. Saunders, "She was fine with it, they are ‘boyfriend and girlfriend’. The other children saw it and went to the music teacher.” Hunter’s mom says that she has made efforts to work with her son on improving his classroom behavior by grounding him and giving him, “…very big restrictions.” It does seem like there have been discussions at home because the young man has his own articulate explanation for why he does what he does saying, “I just have a lot of energy. I mean six-year-olds. They have a lot of energy."

KRDO spoke to Dr. Sandy Wurtele , a child clinical psychologist and professor at the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, who specializes in child sexual development. About Hunter kissing a classmate the psychologist said, “For most six-year-old boys, absolutely. That would be a normal behavior.” She was surprised by the suspension and thinks that the term ‘sexual harassment’ could be problematic for children. "I don't think a six-year-old would understand what harassment is…That has some longer term implications,” said Dr. Wurtele adding, “This part of development is just as important if not more than their academic subjects." Instead she suggested that this could be a teachable moment and should involve the students, their classmates and their parents so there wouldn’t be a negative stigma attached to the behavior. “Move away from that 'we don't do this' to in what situations is it acceptable?...You may have different rules of showing affection than you do maybe at home."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/first-grade-boy-suspended-for-%E2%80%98sexual-harassment%E2%80%99-000631364.html

I dunno, maybe he's a problem child and they were just looking for an excuse to suspend him? Seems ridiculous. 'Murica?

Well...technically, touching of any kind is prohibited - even here in BC.

So no, not just America....

Kids aren't supposed to hug nor even hold hands.

http://www.ctvnews.c...chool-1.1528691

A ban on touching during recess at a B.C. elementary school has shocked parents, who call the new no-touch policy "ridiculous."

For most kids, recess is a chance to run around and goof-off with their friends, but a new ban on touching at a school in Aldergrove could put a damper on playtime.

School administrators at Coghlan Fundamental Elementary School in B.C. have banned kindergarten students from touching each other during recess.

New no-touch policy introduced at B.C. elementary

Coghan Fundamental Elementary School in Langley has implemented a no-touching policy for kindergarten students at recess.

New no-touch policy introduced at B.C. elementary

Coghan Fundamental Elementary School in Langley has implemented a no-touching policy for kindergarten students at recess.

Students were sent home with a letter on Friday, advising parents of the new hands-off rule which prohibits games such as tag, holding hands and imaginary Star Wars light saber duels.

Julie Chen, a mother from the school, says she does not understand the motive behind such a strict ban.

"I can’t imagine little kids not being able to hug each other or help each other on the playground," Chen told CTV news. "Not tag, no hugging, no touching at all."

The letter states that the ban was put in place as a result of several playground injuries over the past few weeks due to games and other hands-on play during recess.

The school says it will have a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to the no-touching policy and children who break the rule will miss playtime or be sent to the office.

School district spokesmen Ken Hoff says the ban is simply a measure to ensure student safety and not meant to severely punish students for touching.

"It wasn’t meant to be an instantaneous situation where the hammer is just going to drop if a child touches another child," Hoff said. "I think what it was meant to convey is we are taking the issue seriously," he added.

The letter asks parents to talk to their children about the new rules and encourage them to come up imaginary games that don’t involve "fighting".

Buzz Bishop, writer of popular parenting blog DadCAMP, says the new ban sounds absurd.

"School bans touching? Touching. How can they be serious?" Bishop wrote in a recent post.

"Are we that terrible at monitoring our kids that we can’t handle the few running amok on the playground, and we must put the entire student population on lockdown? Apparently we are," he added.

Chen feels the new rule is simply taking things too far.

"I get that kids have to have rules but at some point, where do we draw the line?" Chen said.

"I am not going to tell my daughter she can’t touch her friends at school. I am going to teach her boundaries."

That gutless lil puke. He should be expelled for kissing a girls hand. I just hope the authorities deal with that puke and take him to the state penitentiary, where he can rot for the rest of his young life.

Absolutely disgusting, I don't know how I'm going to be able to sleep at night knowing this kid isn't locked up.

Archived