The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seriously.. Is Tanev part of our Top 4 D now?

BlueLemming

I knew the guy would always be a good top 4 as injury insurance but since Edler's absence, and actually even before that, Torts has been using him as top 4 and he averages what, 17-19 minutes a game now? His play has been incredibly reliable.

I encourage you guys to read the Tanev section of this article:

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/12/11/tortorella-players-3-canucks-who-have-benefitted-most-from-the-coaching-change

After reading it and watching Tanev the past few games, I see no reason why this kid should not be in our permanent Top 4. Literally any mix of Tanev-Hamhuis-Garrison-Bieksa will work extremely well. Just wish he had a better shot, but that's all he's missing.

There's no way we can let this guy walk in FA, nor can we give him the top 4 contract he's earned and play him or Edler bottom 6. It's one or the other, in my opinion. I like both guys, but there's only 4 top spots and there's no way we lose Garrisson, Bieksa or Hammer in a trade.

Feel free to disagree though, or point out the flaws in having Tanev as top 4.

It's funny. In the off season there was a thread about Tanev not signing right away. There were quite a few people that babbled on about how easy he would be to replace and how he couldn't hit and when he did he bounced off other players, couldn't score, was over rated etc etc etc.

I think the proof is in the pudding at this point amigo.

Tanev absolutely is a top 4 defensemen. If he had a booming slap shot, and 20 more pounds on his frame, people would be calling him our #1 d-man.

Yeah he's only 190 lbs and look how effective he is. I can't wait for him to fill out, the sky's the limit for this kid.

Glad to see I'm not the only one that see's this much potential for the guy. Most recent highlight for me was when he broke up the 2 on 1 last night with the diving poke check. I flipped when I saw it haha.

I'll admit during the off season he was a guy I wasn't sure we should keep long term because I thought he would want more money than what he's worth but boy is he ever proving to be well worth having.

The only thing missing is size. If he develops his physical game and breaks 200lbs then I think he'd be the perfect shutdown d-man. He can't be always getting hit the way he does in the playoffs. If he gains weight and gets meaner then he'd definitely be worth having in the top 4 over Edler. If that happens then the offence would only be a bonus.

He's and RFA so MG won't definitely let him walk. His only downside of being a top 4 D man is his lack of of offense, but hopefully that can develop with time. He's been very good for the Canucks!

Ah, right! RFA. Totally forgot about that. At least that's good to know if all else fails.

Moving Edler for another top-6er and bringing up Corrado makes so much sense. I'm sure it would have happened already if the NTC wasn't a factor.

Yeah unfortunately the NTC there. I remember reading a quote from MG not that long ago on the forum saying MG does not plan on ever approaching a player and asking him to waive his NTC out of the blue. He said he would wait for the (unhappy) player to come to him and discuss what the best option is for that player. I believe that could eventually be the case. Edler is definitely a top 2 D on other teams and he will want to be that top 2 elsewhere instead of a bottom 2 here.

He's and RFA so MG won't definitely let him walk. His only downside of being a top 4 D man is his lack of of offense, but hopefully that can develop with time. He's been very good for the Canucks!

I was hoping I'd see one post with a more realistic opinion on his play rather than just fawning over how great he is and he's the next best thing since sliced bread. He's great for us defensively, and he's working on the puck moving part of his game to add offence that way, but he's not an offensive threat (particularly for his shot) and he's not a physical player. Does he need those things? Not really, he's good as is, but lets just dial it down a notch.

Moving Edler for another top-6er and bringing up Corrado makes so much sense. I'm sure it would have happened already if the NTC wasn't a factor.

Or, there's the point about getting a reasonable return. You know, considering there was the option of trading him before the NTC kicked in earlier and they didn't get serious enough offers at that point.

Depends on the return for sure... If the team is in the running I could see elder being part of a trade deadline deal, as that is when teams might overpay.

Actually I could see it even if we aren't in the running with the only difference that we don't need a player back

But positively - trade deadline. That's when. Cause we don't need to hang onto an extra top-4 d when we have trouble scoring. Hopefully this is clear to mgmt

Very surprised at how well he's developed. Our defense in general has thrived under Torts's system, and Tanev has definitely taken advantage of our weakness on the right side of the defense, but he's also showing that he can play in that spot.

Archived