The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seriously.. Is Tanev part of our Top 4 D now?

BlueLemming

Did it really? Or are you just assuming that because we are winning, one thing that hasn't excelled is our PP which is 6/24 since Edler left. Oh but our team has excelled right?

He has one less goal then Hamhuis (the leader in goals for by defensemens) even though he played 12 games less than Hamhuis. But Edler sucks I thought.

Last time I checked 6 for 24 is 25%. And that would be considered an excellent PP. And that is well above what our PP was while he was playing. His current pace would put him at 30 points for the season if he played in 82 games. Not acceptable for the teams best 'offensive defencemen'. He is also a -12 on a team where none of the other top 6 are negative players.

This sounds like a players who deserves some of the criticism he is taking. Its not like this hasnt been going on all season.

You dont make playoff teams built with only 6 defenseman.

Yes Tanev, and man he is good, is one of our top four, but our strength is we have a really bored Alberts, and an eager Corrado.

And the beauty of it is, when Edler really decides to play, or focus on what the team needs him to do, Edler is worth two great defensemen.

I'm quite well aware of what I'm arguing. And I don't know where you get the idea that your opinion has more grounds in reality. My argument is based on stats, while yours is purely based on your opinion. (and it's "biased", not "bias". If you're going to try and come across as more knowledgeable, you should at least get the terminology right)

So taking away Edler's PP TOI means that his icetime is similar to the other top four defenders on the Canucks? Fair enough. I'd say that still shows that Tortorella has confidence in him, wouldn't you?He certainly wouldn't give anything close to what Hammer and Tanev get to a defenseman playing as poorly as you claim, would he?

Based on that evidence, the only conclusion that I can come up with is that the coaching staff doesn't agree with your assessment of his play.

BTW: I wouldn't have an issue with moving Edler for the right deal. (although I doubt we'd agree on what would be the "right deal") In fact, I proposed doing just that last year, before his NTC kicked in. IMHO, the Canucks closed the door on moving him at that point.

Your argument has no basis in reality if you think Edlers play this year has been acceptable. Anyone who watches this team with any regularity know that Edler is currently the weakest link on our top 6, and also the highest paid one. And the word is 'bias,' in which the word 'biased' is derived from. At least attempt to look something up before trying to correct someone and look like a pompous douche. Sorry did I use that 'terminology' correctly?

Using Edlers TOI does not prove anything other than Torts has no choice but to use Edler. Torts has publicly called out Edlers play, does that sound like someone that is happy with his play. Edler has a big 0 PP goals so far this season and only 2 PP assists, while averaging 2:45 on the PP every game.

I dont need stats to back up my argument, all you need is a set of eyes.

Actually?

Your argument has no basis in reality if you think Edlers play this year has been acceptable. Anyone who watches this team with any regularity know that Edler is currently the weakest link on our top 6, and also the highest paid one. And the word is 'bias,' in which the word 'biased' is derived from. At least attempt to look something up before trying to correct someone and look like a pompous douche. Sorry did I use that 'terminology' correctly?

Using Edlers TOI does not prove anything other than Torts has no choice but to use Edler. Torts has publicly called out Edlers play, does that sound like someone that is happy with his play. Edler has a big 0 PP goals so far this season and only 2 PP assists, while averaging 2:45 on the PP every game.

I am sorry Sir, I have to disagree.

If you have the eyes to see what he is doing correctly, you should have the wisdom to realize.....there is a time and place for everything?

I dont know....Im saving Edler.

Last time I checked 6 for 24 is 25%. And that would be considered an excellent PP. And that is well above what our PP was while he was playing. His current pace would put him at 30 points for the season if he played in 82 games. Not acceptable for the teams best 'offensive defencemen'. He is also a -12 on a team where none of the other top 6 are negative players.

This sounds like a players who deserves some of the criticism he is taking. Its not like this hasnt been going on all season.

6/24 is not an excellent PP. 25% is though. We've been missing his shot and puck moving skills, I know you hate him as a man but maybe you should realize that he barely makes mistakes. Just watch when he comes back, he can play everywhere. PK, PP and 5 on 5, he logs so many minutes... Clearly we are missing him but since we're winning you're blinded by it.

And +/- is such a good individual stat isn't it? Even though hockey is a 5 man game.

So what you're saying in a nutshell is that you have an opinion, therefore you're right...

BTW: This also means that not only do you think your opinion trumps mine, you also think it trumps Tortorella's.

6/24 is not an excellent PP. 25% is though. We've been missing his shot and puck moving skills, I know you hate him as a man but maybe you should realize that he barely makes mistakes. Just watch when he comes back, he can play everywhere. PK, PP and 5 on 5, he logs so many minutes... Clearly we are missing him but since we're winning you're blinded by it.

And +/- is such a good individual stat isn't it? Even though hockey is a 5 man game.

So we can decipher that a) you are horrible at simple math b] that you are blind...he plays more PP time than anyone on the blue line and has 0 PP goals and 3 PP as so far this season. How can you possibly say he rarely makes mistakes? That is the most homer statement I have heard on here yet. I dont see how we are missing anything from him except for the ice time he was eating, which Tanev is doing a better job of anyway.

+/- isnt a stat I put a lot of emphasis on, but when there is a -12 difference between you and every other player on the team who plays the same position as you do, and you are supposed to be the teams top offensive defencemen, that does say something. So if the +/- is simply a stat attributed to team play, explain how discrepancy between him and every other player on the team.

So what you're saying in a nutshell is that you have an opinion, therefore you're right...

BTW: This also means that not only do you think your opinion trumps mine, you also think it trumps Tortorella's.

I guess if I was the only one with that opinion then I would be the only one that was right. But many educated hockey fans share that same opinion with me. Its not about being right or wrong, which is where you are clearly stuck. Its just about the facts that are right in front of you.

The fact that you think you share the same opinion as Tortorella, essentially saying that you either a) can read his mind or b] have insider information of the inner workings of the Canucks coaching staff and their thoughts on Edler, I actually find amusing to no end.

I would love to see Edler come back and make me eat my words by being the player he should be. But so far this season, he deserves the criticism he has taken thus far.

I guess if I was the only one with that opinion then I would be the only one that was right. But many educated hockey fans share that same opinion with me. Its not about being right or wrong, which is where you are clearly stuck. Its just about the facts that are right in front of you.

The fact that you think you share the same opinion as Tortorella, essentially saying that you either a) can read his mind or b] have insider information of the inner workings of the Canucks coaching staff and their thoughts on Edler, I actually find amusing to no end.

I would love to see Edler come back and make me eat my words by being the player he should be. But so far this season, he deserves the criticism he has taken thus far.

"Educated" hockey fans? :lol:

You mean a bunch of whiny CDCers like yourself? Like the slew of "educated" fans that I argued with two years ago who were convinced that Bieksa was garbage?

And I don't need to be able to read Tortorella's mind. The ice time that he was giving Edler before the injury tells me all I need to know about what he thinks of his game. In fact, any "educated" hockey fan should be able to figure that out without my having to spell it out for them.

....and you still think that there is one.

Tell you what:

You take the original "bias" post that I corrected for you and show it to an English teacher at whatever middle school it is that you currently attend. (or have recently dropped out of)

Perhaps he or she will be able to explain it to you in a simple manner which you will be able to comprehend. My talents are many and varied, but alas, they do not include the ability to perform brain surgery over the internet.

The Oilers made a huge mistake not offering Tanev a nice offer sheet that the Canucks couldn't match because of their cap situation. Thankfully, The Oilers brass collectively are a bunch of bumbling idiots and didn't see the great opportunity they had to scoop a very solid young defenseman from the Canucks for next to nothing but a 3 year $12 Million contract.

Archived