The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seriously.. Is Tanev part of our Top 4 D now?

BlueLemming

This isn't always the case with players, but for Tanev, there's no way I'd let him have a look at July 1. Too many other teams would be all over him, and surely one team lacking solid D would jump out of their socks with an offer. If I'm Gillis, I'd sign Tanev to as many years at $4M that he wants. I don't care about his lack of offense; when I'm paying for top-4 Dmen, I want reliable d-zone play first. Tanev delivers that. He's a better player in his own zone than Edler could ever hope to be. Gotta find a way to blow Edler out of here. But Tanev stays long-term. People on this board mentioning moving him out are hard-of-thinking.

Yes.

Him and Del Zotto are polar opposites, and I would not pay Del Zotto anymore than Tanev. If Del Zotto gets more as an RFA this summer than Tanev, then I will laugh till my ass falls off.

Tanev's a keeper. I'm considering buying his jersey :)

Tanev is a good player and he will be a solid top 4 D for a long time, but Edler has far more upside.

I think people are forgetting how good he is.

Edler is 27 and about to enter his prime years.

Yes edler is having a bad year, but he'll return to being an impact player.

You guys are forgetting that when edler is playing well he's better than tanev in all aspects: skating, passing, shooting, hitting, defensive coverage.

I agree Edler has more upside, but when are we going to see it? He was a much better player at 24 than he is at 27, that's an enormous problem. I'm not forgetting how good he is, I'm just waiting to see it again. Until then he's a turnover machine who is mentally-weak. You may notice the Canucks' defensive game has improved nicely in the 5 games Edler has been out. Not a coincidence to me.

I agree Edler has more upside, but when are we going to see it? He was a much better player at 24 than he is at 27, that's an enormous problem. I'm not forgetting how good he is, I'm just waiting to see it again. Until then he's a turnover machine who is mentally-weak. You may notice the Canucks' defensive game has improved nicely in the 5 games Edler has been out. Not a coincidence to me.

We played him as a #3 back then, against weaker opponents. I remember seeing a post where he played against minus players on average, while this season he's playing against players who are around +3 +4 on the season

Tortorella is pushing him to see if he can reach what's there.

If he doesn't, Edler will be an elite #3 18-19min guy.

I think we'll see it soon but every player has ups and downs throughout their career.

People seem to see a lot of his mistakes but I see mistakes from all our D.

There is a reason that he was playing the most of all our D before his injury.

I see his physicality, and his overall offensive play.

Two things that our D doesn't have enough of when he's not playing.

Any good team can play thru a few injuries to their top players. We are a good team.

But long term having Edler out will hurt us.

I don't think Tanev needs to fill out to be effective. How many huge hits did Nick Lidstrom dish out during his career?

Tanev can skate with, and maintain body position on, almost any forward in the league. He thinks the game well, so I don't see why he has to get bigger, and potentially lose a step to be called a number 1 D man.

He's a top-2 defenceman on this team right now. The kid is playing with Hamhuis, eating up well over 20 minutes a game without Edler and he's playing in big situations against the opponents top line. Tanev is quickly surpassing our veterans on the depth chart. He's racking up points, scoring goals and is probably our best D-man in his own zone. Just watching him single-handedly break up odd-man rush after odd-man rush against Edmonton showed his value. If it were up to me here's how I'd rank our defencemen right now:

1) Tanev

2) Bieksa

3) Garrison

4) Hamhuis

5) Stanton

6) Edler

7) Weber

8) Alberts

And the way Weber's playing so far, he could surpass Edler too. It's no surprise this team has allowed a lot less against in the span Edler's been injured, but it's good to see someone like Tanev stepping up and grabbing this opportunity.

One thing people are forgetting is that Tanev played very well against a small EDM team. Top 4 minutes against bigger teams e.g. STL, ANH, LA etc. is a ? right now. Typically, Edler plays big minutes against those teams because he is strong enough and skilled enough. I havn't seen enough of Tanev in those situations so I guess we will have to see.

He played fine against the Bruins. They're a big time, right?

That shorthanded goal with Santorelli was the stuff of legend.

Tanev is a good player and he will be a solid top 4 D for a long time, but Edler has far more upside.

You guys are forgetting that when edler is playing well he's better than tanev in all aspects: skating, passing, shooting, hitting, defensive coverage.

BTW, Edler is a leftie and Tanev is a rightie.

Tanev is competing for ice time with bieksa and garrison when the D is healthy.

I think you're ignoring just how terrible Edler has been for the equivalent of 2 FULL seasons now. He's slow as hell after his injury, and his complete lack of hockey sense makes his defensive coverage a complete joke. Tanev skates much better and actually knows how to play defense. If we're going to pay big bucks for D, I'd like them to not be complete liabilities in their own end.

BTW, Edler is a leftie and Tanev is a rightie.

Tanev is competing for ice time with bieksa and garrison when the D is healthy.

Edler is a bum. You obviously don't watch him at all. For starters Tanev was a better skater than Edler is now when he was five years old. Edler is one of the worst skaters in the league. Easily one of the slowest players in the game. His passing is not better in any world, and his defensive coverage is absolutely horrendous.

Where some people conjure up absolute BS like from I will never know. Defensive coverage :picard: ... yeesh.

20 minutes against Boston...+2 with 1 goal off the rush while short-handed. How do you think he did against a big, tough, and mean Boston squad that is 1 point out of first in the east, was on a 4 game winning streak, rested (versus the Nucks on a back-to-back) top-tier team?

His puck smarts and hockey IQ are exceptional. He may lack physicality but his positional play and the manner in which he uses his body to block lanes and contain is pure artistry. With guys like Bieksa, Garrison, Stanton, he doesn't need to be a physical force.

After watching opposing teams play the body on him I did wonder if Tanev could adjust his game to

counter. I certainly did not pencil him in as a top 4 dman this year, if ever. Even as undermanned as

the Bruins were on Saturday night and even with the ozone time they had I thought Tanev probably had his best game this year. It appears that his play is catching up with his hockey mind. Hockey people have

talked about his hockey IQ all the way back to bantam. Gillis and crew have hit a HR with this kid.

Edler still holds that last top 4 spot because of experience. Tanev needs to play well in a sequence of years, not games, before I can say that he's a real top four defenceman.

Regardless though, I'd be real happy to see Edler's value put towards a forward. Have Tanev and Corrado battle it out for that last top 4 role and Ryan Stanton as the staple for the sixth spot.

Let's see if Gillis is capable of making a hockey deal with Edler. One for one.

Is Tanev now a top 4 D?

The answer is no!

He is a first pairing D blossoming!

He is our most dependable D. and his offense is coming along nicely.

The question is out of the top 5 D who would you trade first and who would you trade last?

First: Edler or Bieksa (even though he is playing great this year)

Last: Garrison or Tanev with Hammer in the middle of the 5.

We have Hutton, Corrado, McNally and Subban on the way and Stanton made his first mistake in a long, long time against Boston so he is coming along great as well.

Edler would be the first D to move.

I would love to hear why so many people think this is the case given we JUST signed him to a new, long term contract, WITH an NTC?

Personally I think Tanev's the most likely (as much as I'd HATE to lose him). Corrado appears ready to fill in from below, Tanev's value (given his skill skillset and RFA status) has never been higher and our top 4 D all have NTC's and good few prime years left.

I'd imagine as a pretty talented youn D who looks on the cusp of taking the next step, he could fetch a pretty talented young forward with similar qualities....just saying.

Hmm. I'd keep Tanvev over Corrado, just because he's performed so well. Corrado had a few games in at the end of the season, and yes, he kept his head above water, but not to the level Tanev did in 2011. Corrado seems to be the better piece to move, between the 2 of them. My opinion, of course

Hmm. I'd keep Tanvev over Corrado, just because he's performed so well. Corrado had a few games in at the end of the season, and yes, he kept his head above water, but not to the level Tanev did in 2011. Corrado seems to be the better piece to move, between the 2 of them. My opinion, of course

Sure...but Corrado won't get you as good of a return. You're not getting a young, promising top 6 forward for Frankie. Have to give to get ;)

Sure...but Corrado won't get you as good of a return. You're not getting a young, promising top 6 forward for Frankie. Have to give to get ;)

Which is why we should trade the overpaid defensive liability who is getting worse and worse, yet people are convinced still has value for some reason. ;)

Archived