The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seriously.. Is Tanev part of our Top 4 D now?

BlueLemming

Which is why we should trade the overpaid defensive liability *with a brand new, long term contract and an NTC, who is getting worse and worse, yet people are convinced still has value for some reason. ;)

*fixed ;)

And he still does have value fwiw.

I would not move Tanev, kid is unreal and only going to get better imo.

I think when Edler gets back he should be put on the 3rd pairing and 1st pp unit.

Hamhuis-Tanev

Garrison-Bieksa

Edler-Stanton

Playing against weaker opposition can hopefully build some confidence for him and he can start playing like we know he can.

I would love to hear why so many people think this is the case given we JUST signed him to a new, long term contract, WITH an NTC?

Personally I think Tanev's the most likely (as much as I'd HATE to lose him). Corrado appears ready to fill in from below, Tanev's value (given his skill skillset and RFA status) has never been higher and our top 4 D all have NTC's and good few prime years left.

I'd imagine as a pretty talented youn D who looks on the cusp of taking the next step, he could fetch a pretty talented young forward with similar qualities....just saying.

Ask him to waive his NTC and play him in sheltered minutes if he doesn't because we are better if we kept Tanev and traded Edler than trading Tanev and keeping Edler. Edler could fetch us as much if not more than Tanev could.

Ask him to waive his NTC and play him in sheltered minutes if he doesn't because we are better if we kept Tanev and traded Edler than trading Tanev and keeping Edler. Edler could fetch us as much if not more than Tanev could.

You do realize Gillis' job also includes attracting UFA's and getting guys to sign and re-sign here for some level of discount, right?

It's funny that so many here are talking about "putting Edler on the 3rd pairing" and "letting him get his confidence back"...

Doesn't anyone realize that before his injury he was leading Canuck defensemen in icetime? I'm pretyy sure that having the trust of the coaching staff would give someone plenty of confidence.

Just because a few misinformed "fans" say that he "sucks" doesn't mean that the player in question buys into the theory...

You do realize Gillis' job also includes attracting UFA's and getting guys to sign and re-sign here for some level of discount, right?

Thanks Captain Obvious! You do realize Edler needs to play better because he is not playing well right now which has cost us games, right?

He's getting big minutes and the coaches trust and has failed to have success so far with big minutes, so he should get less minutes. He is also injured so I expect him to be rusty when he returns, which isn't good seeing how he has played like poo prior to his injury. Since he's been injured we have not just been winning but have played better than when he was here.

I need an explanation from you on why we should keep Edler given how he has played. I'm all for keeping Edler if he picks up his game to the level that he has shown in the past, but we haven't seen that Edler for a while so I am not getting my hopes up.

Gillis also tested the market for Edler at the draft before his NTC kicked in if you did not already know.

Thanks Captain Obvious! You do realize Edler needs to play better because he is not playing well right now which has cost us games, right?

He's getting big minutes and the coaches trust and has failed to have success so far with big minutes, so he should get less minutes. He is also injured so I expect him to be rusty when he returns, which isn't good seeing how he has played like poo prior to his injury. Since he's been injured we have not just been winning but have played better than when he was here.

I need an explanation from you on why we should keep Edler given how he has played. I'm all for keeping Edler if he picks up his game to the level that he has shown in the past, but we haven't seen that Edler for a while so I am not getting my hopes up.

Gillis also tested the market for Edler at the draft before his NTC kicked in if you did not already know.

He's not playing at all right now...not sure how he's costings us games...?

That the coaches were still giving him big minutes should offer you a clue.

He's big and usually a pretty damn good d-man with pretty good offensive and defensive skills (hence his value in a trade).

I did already know that. I was a proponent of it in fact as it was BEFORE his NTC kicked in. Still a bit douchey but at least not breaking any contract.

He's a top-2 defenceman on this team right now. The kid is playing with Hamhuis, eating up well over 20 minutes a game without Edler and he's playing in big situations against the opponents top line. Tanev is quickly surpassing our veterans on the depth chart. He's racking up points, scoring goals and is probably our best D-man in his own zone. Just watching him single-handedly break up odd-man rush after odd-man rush against Edmonton showed his value. If it were up to me here's how I'd rank our defencemen right now:

1) Tanev

2) Bieksa

3) Garrison

4) Hamhuis

5) Stanton

6) Edler

7) Weber

8) Alberts

And the way Weber's playing so far, he could surpass Edler too. It's no surprise this team has allowed a lot less against in the span Edler's been injured, but it's good to see someone like Tanev stepping up and grabbing this opportunity.

Don't want to be the one to spoil the Tanev praise cause I thought the Edmonton game was one of his best but you have to realize against top teams he isn't exactly the #1 defense-men.

Chicago -1 (1 game) Pointless

San Jose -3 (4 games) 1 assist

Anaheim +1 (1 game) Pointless

Los Angeles -1 (2 games) 1 goal

St'Louis -1 (1 game) Pointless

Phoenix -1 (2 games) Pointless

Compare that to

Edmonton +3 (2 games) Pointless

Toronto +2 (1 game) 1 assist

Ottawa +3 (1 game) 1 assist

NY Islanders +1 (1 game) 2 assists

New Jersey +2 (2 games) 1 assist

Florida +1(1 game) Pointless

Philadelphia +1 (1 game) 1 assist

Buffalo +1 (1 game) Pointless

Carolina -1 (2 games) 1 goal

+14 1 goal 6 assists against average teams.

-6 1 goal 1 assist against top teams.

He might develop and get used to the better teams but right now they are his weakness.

He's not playing at all right now...not sure how he's costings us games...?

That the coaches were still giving him big minutes should offer you a clue.

He's big and usually a pretty damn good d-man with pretty good offensive and defensive skills (hence his value in a trade).

I did already know that. I was a proponent of it in fact as it was BEFORE his NTC kicked in. Still a bit douchey but at least not breaking any contract.

Sorry never put out what I wanted to say the way I wanted. When he was playing he was costing us games with his play. You must still have faith in Edler, like the coaches/management, which is fair. Though I see him getting moved this off-season if he doesn't pick up his game.

Don't want to be the one to spoil the Tanev praise cause I thought the Edmonton game was one of his best but you have to realize against top teams he isn't exactly the #1 defense-men.

Compare that to

He might develop and get used to the better teams but right now they are his weakness.

I think it's more Canucks vs good teams sadly, and did you conveniently leave out the Boston game to strengthen your argument?

Honestly, what's most likely is that nothing happens with any of our d-men short of Corrado getting antsy that there's no spot for him to advance for the foreseeable future. His best hope is taking the 7th spot and splitting time with Stanton/filling in for injuries next year if we don't re-sign one/either of Weber/Alberts. That's a lot of d-men to get through just to play a few shifts. Otherwise he's stuck in Utica (at least getting good minutes).

Something has to give and management will have to decide if Tanev and his soon to be large raise would be better being swapped for a younger, cheaper forward or....?

Compare that to

Don't worry. You didn't spoil the praise. That doesn't really say much at all.

Compare that to

Interesting to look at but I don't think that says all that much. I watched him in those games and often he was one of the few canucks playing well. What are the +/- of everyone else in those games? Probably similar (which is why +/- can be unreliable unless it's outstandingly worse than everyone else).

Nevertheless, it's obvious he plays better against weaker teams but so do most other canucks and rarely does he play awful against stronger teams (PK, shot blocks, etc.).

(Not to mention +/- doesn't show the amount of goals he's prevented, which has probably been quite a few)

For once this team has some good exciting depth yet everyone wants to ruin it, and possibly ruin their development, by trading experienced veteran players and throwing young guys to the wolves. It's ok to over-ripen prospects. Let's let Tanev and Corrado develop so that when there is finally room in the top 4, they are legitimately ready, not ready in the eyes of a few antsy anti-Edler clones.

Archived