The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A view from the other side: Perspective of Boston Bruins Fans on tonight's game

Johnny's Logic

Lol some of the comments on that forum made them seem just as uneducated as some of us on here, pretty even on that standpoint. As for their players (except for marchand) if they were on our team we wouldn't be saying the same thing. Two skilled teams, one with a way rougher edge and reputation, that's all.

They got their reputation for being a dirty team, from the cheap hits by several of their top guys, to the constant diving, to their staff denying all of it. So no, it's not just Marchand that is the problem.

Lucic doesn't play dirty? he almost ended Miller's career with a dirty hit.

Lol wow drama queen much? There wasn't even talk of Miller not finishing the season let alone career threatening. Hard to take you seriously when you pull this crap outta your ***.

i was at the game tonight, speaking for the bruins fans in my section and general area, they were pretty good. granted the score was 6-2...

my dad was at the game tonight and apparently a boston and canuck fan got into a fight and the boston fan accidentally punched a cop while they were breaking it up, hope he's a boston fan living in vancouver and not actually from boston cause i think he's gunna miss his plane while he's sitting in jail for the night lol

How about Krejci or Lucic to start? Neither of them dive, and neither of them play dirty. After that though... it's pretty slim pickins.

Lucic isn't exactly dirty but he plays on the edge and goes over board sometimes (Miller interference) but thats how he plays. Thats the way Kassian needs to play as well haha.

I just want to add if not for some puck luck and timely execution on the Canucks part, they easily could have had their asses handed to them tonight. Bruins were controlling the game before falling behind. Game could have easily gone the other way.

Exactly! Van fans should not take to much out of this game. Canucks had some long over do puck luck and should not make to much out of it.

Take aways:

1) What if? Torts had coached Van back in 2011. I simply like his style more than AV's. Called a TO and refocused his team. Doesn't always work but that combined with puck luck and Van was humming.

2) Kesler, Santo, Richardson and Tanev: simply wow!

3) Liking this team more with the increased TOI for the 3rd & 4th lines.

I don't think its fair to the players to chalk this game up to puck luck or the Bruins illness. They could've scratched Rask that's bad coaching on them. Since coaching helps wins games it was their stupid move to make. But that still doesn't explain the goals on Johnson. We would've won regardless, our boys got fired up by Torts and they played. You don't get 6 goals with just puck luck. We are winning because like the players are saying they have brought into Torts... Just hope we keep it going. GCG!

The coach called a time out because he could sense the momentum shifting and the Canucks could go down.

Worked out in this case but let's give Booth the credit.

So many like to ride his tail here and he bailed out a team that was lacking confidence or whatever early on.

I'm shocked. You won't give credit to Torts.

I guess good job Gillis for seeing what Booth can do. He's Certainly been back to his normal self the last few weeks.

Lucic isn't exactly dirty but he plays on the edge and goes over board sometimes (Miller interference) but thats how he plays. Thats the way Kassian needs to play as well haha.

I actually like Lucic. The miller hit was not one of his better moments, but what player doesn't have a brain fart? Not defending him for that, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing a hometown boy in a Nucks jersey. But its a business and people play where they can get paid... enough of my Bruin loving post. The Bruins lost and can go suck it!

I just want to add if not for some puck luck and timely execution on the Canucks part, they easily could have had their asses handed to them tonight. Bruins were controlling the game before falling behind. Game could have easily gone the other way.

Puck luck and timely execution are usually the keys to winning a hockey game.

Lucic - I don't care if he was born in Vancouver or not, there'd be a hell of a letter asking "WHAT THE $@#& WERE YOU THINKING!!!" faxed to the Canucks from my fax machine! HELL F*NG NO!!!

:lol:

I can see it now: "Uh hello Milan? Yeah, it's Mike. Hey I'm going to have to pull that contract offer off the table. There's a guy out there who totally rules at NHL 2K13 and he tells me that you're a bad signing."

"Yeah, I know we had a deal, but this guy has a fax machine and everything! Obviously, he knows what he's talking about."

"Maybe give MacT a call. Yeah, they get pushed around a lot and they don't hate the Bruins, they hate the Canucks."

I'd say there were more than 3 or 4 decent posts, didn't count how many good individual points I saw, but granted the discussion has deteriorated from there. I don't take issue with the bitterness per se, as I mentioned in an earlier post, since reality does happen to leave a pretty bittter aftertaste.

The only two things particularly bothering me about this thread are the two extremes I see:

1 - Some lowlife classless comments here give the better Vancouver fans a bad name, unfortunately. I don't think the vocal and stupid minority defines the fan base, but some tend to blur the lines, which makes it a bit messy. I wonder whether some of the most classless comments here are by trolls posing as Canuck fans, but don't doubt there are some here we can well and truly be embarrassed about.

2 - Others seem to be trying too hard to distance themselves from that element, which seems pointless, since it exists just about anywhere you find 'fans' in the NHL or anywhere else, for that matter. Going out of your way with the 'both sides do it' fallacy isn't as helpful as some might think.

What if we're not "trying" to do anything? What if that is exactly what we think?

Boston has a reputation for seriously injuring other players in very questionable ways. Even way back when, Donald Brashear of the Canucks was injured by Marty McSorely, a Bruin.

Someone has clearly forgotten about Todd Bertuzzi on Steve Moore. Also Matthias Ohlund's slash on Mikko Koivu...

This forum should be divided into 2: mature members could have their own threads, and the idiot/overreact types can have their threads full of exclamation marks and uses of words like 'puke', 'gutless' and 'classless'. And 'suck it'.

It's a good idea Jack, but I'm afraid that thread #1 would have few members indeed.

Puck luck and timely execution are usually the keys to winning a hockey game.

Yeah, I think it's a stretch to say that the Canucks were lucky. The B's seemed to have the edge early in the first two periods, but the Canucks weathered those storms and gradually took control.

There were a couple of areas where fortune smiled, however. Firstly, Rask was definitely off his game. But IMO, these things even out over the course of the season. No-one cuts the Canucks slack for losses when the opposing goalie stands on his head...

The big turning point for me was the timeout. It was a shrewd move by Torts and it worked to perfection, but it could have been different. Right after the TO, Boston had a glorious scoring chance, just outside the blue paint. A couple of minutes later, Booth scored and the Canucks were on their way.

That was where the "luck" ended, IMO. Boston had opportunities to come back after that goal, but a boost to the Canucks' collective confidence and a couple of big saves by Lou put them over the top.

Lol wow drama queen much? There wasn't even talk of Miller not finishing the season let alone career threatening. Hard to take you seriously when you pull this crap outta your ***.

Miller tried coming back that season but he struggled with post concussion symptoms. That's half a season when the average NHL career is around five years. That's a fact bud, not drama. Defend cheap shots all you want, I'll keep calling them out. I also enjoyed watching Buffalo put John Scott on the ice the next time Buffalo played Boston and Lucic refused to answer Scott's invitation. So much for the Boston 'honest' players BS. There's a little Boston drama for you to keep wherever you want.

not from the same forum i think but a few bruins fans reactions i'm reading right now: these are some of the ones that got the most upvotes/reputation points. I slightly edited a few for brevity or clarity.

"Smith showed off his skill again tonight and Marchand was starting to act chirpier. Kissing his ring finger and "raising the cup" was classic Marchy, especially against Vancouver."

"With Loui: 16-5-2

Without Loui: 6-4-0"

"Smith got another goal. Might as well been the only one on the ice tonight. I'm also really bitter and really drunk."

"Time to listen to my sister and her fiancé chirp me. Hurray.

Oh well. Three words - kiss the ring."

"Win or lose, I love all you guys. One of the few highlights of my week is coming here on game nights and watching these games with you guys."

"alright i'm done. get healthy b's"

"Definitely impressed with what Torts been able to do with this team so far. They have that edge they've been missing."

"They exploited Johnsons weakness, moving side to side..."

"This is my first game thread with Nucks fans, and after one period I have to say you guys are all really cool"

"Apparently Iginla is OK, he was just practicing Vulcan salute."

"GG boys, all of Canada's players and fans have been especially great in my experiences this week, at least the Hawks got wrecked as well."

""I miss Glenn Healy" - PJ Stock

First and last time anyone will ever hear that"

"I would love sit and have a beer or twelve with Lou.

I look back on how much glee I took in his meltdown a couple of years ago now and feel bad about it. I kind of feel like I owe him a beer."

My own reaction: the canucks played a great game. they created chances and converted on them. from a bruins perspective this was a frustrating game. it felt like the game was pretty even and the scoreline obviously shows something else. rask was definitely not on his game (starting with that joke of a goal and continuing throughout. honestly the bruins were kind of due of this kind of an whooping. they're been playing injured, with the flu, and with 5 AHLers to fill gaps. it's amazing what they've done given the circumstances. it's definitely time they get home after that trip out west.

i think at the end of the day, most bruins fans feel the same way brad marchand showed the crowd. they lost a regular season game in december but they already have what counts in the bag. they have a ring.

not from the same forum i think but a few bruins fans reactions i'm reading right now: these are some of the ones that got the most upvotes/reputation points. I slightly edited a few for brevity or clarity.

"Smith showed off his skill again tonight and Marchand was starting to act chirpier. Kissing his ring finger and "raising the cup" was classic Marchy, especially against Vancouver."

"With Loui: 16-5-2

Without Loui: 6-4-0"

"Smith got another goal. Might as well been the only one on the ice tonight. I'm also really bitter and really drunk."

"Time to listen to my sister and her fiancé chirp me. Hurray.

Oh well. Three words - kiss the ring."

"Win or lose, I love all you guys. One of the few highlights of my week is coming here on game nights and watching these games with you guys."

"alright i'm done. get healthy b's"

"Definitely impressed with what Torts been able to do with this team so far. They have that edge they've been missing."

"They exploited Johnsons weakness, moving side to side..."

"This is my first game thread with Nucks fans, and after one period I have to say you guys are all really cool"

"Apparently Iginla is OK, he was just practicing Vulcan salute."

"GG boys, all of Canada's players and fans have been especially great in my experiences this week, at least the Hawks got wrecked as well."

""I miss Glenn Healy" - PJ Stock

First and last time anyone will ever hear that"

"I would love sit and have a beer or twelve with Lou.

I look back on how much glee I took in his meltdown a couple of years ago now and feel bad about it. I kind of feel like I owe him a beer."

My own reaction: the canucks played a great game. they created chances and converted on them. from a bruins perspective this was a frustrating game. it felt like the game was pretty even and the scoreline obviously shows something else. rask was definitely not on his game (starting with that joke of a goal and continuing throughout. honestly the bruins were kind of due of this kind of an whooping. they're been playing injured, with the flu, and with 5 AHLers to fill gaps. it's amazing what they've done given the circumstances. it's definitely time they get home after that trip out west.

i think at the end of the day, most bruins fans feel the same way brad marchand showed the crowd. they lost a regular season game in december but they already have what counts in the bag. they have a ring.

Good post. You're correct. Although I'm sure this loss stings, it's nothing compared to the euphoria they would have felt in 2011...

FWIW, after the game Julien made it clear that he did not like Marchand's actions. (I'd be willing to bet that a lot of his teammates didn't either). I'm sure something was said to the little weasel following the game.

Coincidently I was in Boston for their last game against the Hawks, walking downtown, walking near the arena, you couldn't tell there was a game on. I saw plenty of Sox gear out-n-about, but nothing Bruins related (unless you count the jersey on Washington). To say I was disappointed would be an understatement, as here I was in a huge "hockey-town" and no hockey to be seen. There's more hockey presence here in the Bay Area than in Boston, especially when the Nuck's are in town.

Not really op related, but thought I'd share anyways...GO NUCKS!!

You clearly have no clue. This was two evenly matched teams playing great hockey. The Canucks happened to be the better of the two teams.

The Bruins physicality no longer works on the Canucks. In my humble opinion, Tortorella has emboldened this team with a greater sense of purpose and fight.

Puck luck? On Hansen's goal for sure. However when they score on the powerplay and short handed, that's just dominance.

Coincidently I was in Boston for their last game against the Hawks, walking downtown, walking near the arena, you couldn't tell there was a game on. I saw plenty of Sox gear out-n-about, but nothing Bruins related (unless you count the jersey on Washington). To say I was disappointed would be an understatement, as here I was in a huge "hockey-town" and no hockey to be seen. There's more hockey presence here in the Bay Area than in Boston, especially when the Nuck's are in town.

Not really op related, but thought I'd share anyways...GO NUCKS!!

thats why they riot over the celtics, red sox and patriots but not the bruins. Bruins are bottom of the list in terms of sports teams in boston, they care about the other ones way more

Archived