Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MillerGenuineDraft

What happens when a CDC member dies?

74 posts in this topic

Like is there a formal process that we/a family member have to go through with the admins, or like, do we just have our accounts sit for the rest of our lives..? like..?

This is actually a big thing over the last few years, starting around 2010 it seems. There are legal cases arguing over control of dead people's facebook accounts http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887324677204578188220364231346

I think there are a bunch of services you can sign up for (they cost $) that will store your website passwords and pass them on to your family or whoever you name if you die.

Can I get this thread notarized?

Interesting..why pay a company to keep track of passwords in case of death when you can do it yourself for free? That reminds me.. I really need to do up a new Will.

This reminds me, I really should go to my parents' house and remove an old toolbox I have lying around--just in case. :picard:

I'm pretty sure nothing will be done with the account unless the poster's family wants it closed, in which case they'll have to contact the Administration.

Quality question in this era. But then again, what difference would it make. Especially a CDC account. Facebook, Twitter, email and such I understand, but message boards don't really make a whole lot of difference. I have registered to other boards, some that that don't necessarily even work anymore, or are dead. And the acc just sits there, and I don't even remember it. Kinda the same as being dead, right?

Besides, CDC has an average age of 13 or something, so not many of them will die yet...

Besides, CDC has an average age of 13 or something, so not many of them will die yet...

Alas..

If I stop posting for a few months, it would most likely mean I'm dead (or I finally got tired of this place). In which case, I'd like my account deleted.

If I stop posting for a few months, it would most likely mean I'm dead (or I finally got tired of this place). In which case, I'd like my account deleted.

Or maybe you'll find a nice young man here on CDC and he could take you away from all of this.

Call me.