The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lucic says he'll never go to DT Vancouver

I know there are worse things than a celebrity getting heckled, I spent the better part of 2 years experiencing worse things. I also know that 1 person paints a face for an entire fan base when it hits the media like this has. That piece of crap makes all of us look bad because this is all over the sports media right now. I am nothing like the drunk dude but thanks to him if I talk to any NHL fan I get the wrath of god on me because of people like that...

Sometimes you have got to have a thick skin to be a sports fan, think about all the unsuccessful franchises in sports and their fans. Pay this no attention and it will go away, don't focus on all this negativity, what about all the good things that people in Van do? Think about all the Canuck fans that support the Canuck's for Kids Charity and many other's I'm sure.

All the good things that the Organization of the Canucks and their fans get involved in will not be undone by one drunk or by the perception of fans from another team.

Those are the things that last, those are the things worth focusing on. We can't control what others think about the Canucks or us as a fan base, nor can we control the actions of individuals drunk ones especially, but we can all control what we ourselves focus our attention to.

The biggest fault of Canuck's fans (myself very much included in this) is spending way too much time and effort in thinking about situations much like this one.

Sometimes you have got to have a thick skin to be a sports fan, think about all the unsuccessful franchises in sports and their fans. Pay this no attention and it will go away, don't focus on all this negativity, what about all the good things that people in Van do? Think about all the Canuck fans that support the Canuck's for Kids Charity and many other's I'm sure.

All the good things that the Organization of the Canucks and their fans get involved in will not be undone by one drunk or by the perception of fans from another team.

Those are the things that last, those are the things worth focusing on. We can't control what others think about the Canucks or us as a fan base, nor can we control the actions of individuals drunk ones especially, but we can all control what we ourselves focus our attention to.

The biggest fault of Canuck's fans (myself very much included in this) is spending way too much time and effort in thinking about situations much like this one.

Quite valid points good sir.

For the record I dont live in Vancouver either...I grew up there but live elsewhere for work now.

I don't really blame him. The last three years or so that I lived in East Van I avoided dt unless I absolutely had to do something there. But I wouldn't just go dt for fun aside from a few places in Gastown or Chinatown.

Granville is a cesspool especially on the weekends, suburbanites using it as their playground slash toilet. Yaletown is better but still crammed with yuppies, and Robson's wall of tourists makes me want to gouge my eyes out. Denman was nice back when I lived in the west end, but if you don't live there it's kind of a pain to get to. A lot of nice, chill restaurants and bars though.

Overall, it just wasn't worth the hassle when there so many places with better beer and music selections on Commercial and Main. I guess I never was the clubbing type though.

I'd be less inclined to think that the majority of the fan base are immature kids lacking any respect if they looked at this situation as an isolated incident, said "What an asshole that drunk guy punching him is" and then moved on to worrying about the next game.

Instead, there is a herd like mentality defending this kind of stupid behaviour, excusing it because "What do you expect? He's a Bruin clubbing here after a loss!". It deflects any kind of responsibility the perpetrator had because of who Lucic is, implying us fans just cannot control our rage about something so mundane (yes, hockey is mundane get over it). I don't care if it's expected, the moment you start letting it slide because its expected is when you deserve to be bunched in with these idiots.

What a loss for this city. This is a hometown kid..

I agree strongly with all this.

Not to defend what happened but Marchand was taunting the crowd and taking things outside the game. Is it a surprise some stupid drunk reacts?

Taunting the crowd is fine by me when done on the playing surface. If someone is too drunk and somehow takes that action personally, they need their head examined.

All you guys whining about class and the city's reputation is EXACTLY what the problem is with Vancouver and why the media continues to stir the pot with Vancouver.

If Kesler whined about an altercation while going out in Boston after the team gets manhandled by Boston, 2 things would happen

1) The Bruins fans would laugh in his face

2) The Media would report it in Vancouver for kicks and all of our fans would be in a tizzy. This would then again result in Bruins fans laughing in our face for being such whiners.

Stop acting like such wusses guys. Stop caring about what everyone thinks. Your inferiority complex is embarrassing.

All you guys whining about class and the city's reputation is EXACTLY what the problem is with Vancouver and why the media continues to stir the pot with Vancouver.

If Kesler whined about an altercation while going out in Boston after the team gets manhandled by Boston, 2 things would happen

1) The Bruins fans would laugh in his face

2) The Media would report it in Vancouver for kicks and all of our fans would be in a tizzy. This would then again result in Bruins fans laughing in our face for being such whiners.

Stop acting like such wusses guys. Stop caring about what everyone thinks. Your inferiority complex is embarrassing.

I bet there are thousands of these type of "altercations" per year in North America between drunk athletes and fans. This one is news because the athlete is whining, he's part the most sanctimonious organization in all of sport and the media enjoys ripping Vancouver. Get over it.

considering it was Lucic and not Marchand at the bar? yes kind of

My point was that Lucic should be pissed at his pet rat too for the taunt that got some tempers up in the first place. It's possible that the incident would have never happened otherwise.

that said, it doesn't justify people acting like that.

I'd be less inclined to think that the majority of the fan base are immature kids lacking any respect if they looked at this situation as an isolated incident, said "What an asshole that drunk guy punching him is" and then moved on to worrying about the next game.

Instead, there is a herd like mentality defending this kind of stupid behaviour, excusing it because "What do you expect? He's a Bruin clubbing here after a loss!". It deflects any kind of responsibility the perpetrator had because of who Lucic is, implying us fans just cannot control our rage about something so mundane (yes, hockey is mundane get over it). I don't care if it's expected, the moment you start letting it slide because its expected is when you deserve to be bunched in with these idiots.

What a loss for this city. This is a hometown kid..

You making Milan out to be some sort of Saint here. If I recall this isn't his first drunken incident.

You seem to be missing the point that being a professional athlete and getting paid millions entails giving up certain things you may have enjoyed before. Pro athletes are taught to stay out of those situations as rookies. Putting himself in that situation in the first place was bad judgement for a guy who has a lot to lose. Just as I wouldn't expect Kesler to be clubbing in Boston lest he get jumped by a pack of southies. You better bet that the Bruins were not happy that Milan put himself in that spot mid season.

Nobody is saying it's right BTW, but it is just the way it is.

Bad apples shouldn't spoil the whole bunch. Basing the reputation of a whole city on a few idiots is pointless. Lucic should be able to differentiate.

Well Vancouver's reputation expands beyond just the actions of a few people but while I would agree with you by this standard you can say all cities everywhere should have great reputations. Hell I live in Philadelphia and we use that line all the time to justify throwing batteries and smoke bombs on the fields or vomiting on children and snowballing Santa.

As far as Lucic goes you can't blame the guy for being bitter. It seems every time he is around Vancouver there is some kind of incident involving him or his family. Why would he be thrilled about supporting a city where he gets so much real life drama just because he wears a different jersey?

It's people like you who are probably the first to make a stink when this sort of thing happens to a Canuck after an away game. Canucks fans are always complaining about the lack of class other fans have, but yet another example of how fans in Vancouver are the the ones with the least class. Keep it up Canucks fans

Remind me again about the last time a Canuck player was attacked while in a club on the road. First his grandparents, then his church now this. Guess it was just the work of more of those "anarchists and terrorists" since we all know that no Canuck fan would ever do this...

Archived