The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How can Bettman lose his job

Cucumber

This guy caused 3 lockouts, make stupid decisions, is biased to certain teams

Ect many other things he does drive me nuts, and is ridiculous.

So how Bettman lose his job. Can he be fired, does he have to retire/quit/die or can he get lay off. Just wondering what's the process and if anyone knows

Thoughts

So how Bettman lose his job. Can he be fired, does he have to retire/quit/die or can he get lay off. Just wondering what's the process and if anyone knows

Thoughts

People that don't know how a firm operates shouldn't even comment. It's all about maximizing value. Bettman has done this by increasing the value of the NHL. Look at player salaries, look at the worth of the top teams, you'll see a successful business model.

Why put a team in Phoenix you might ask? Simple, exposure. You can put all the teams in Canada but garnering new fans to grow your business is very important.

As much as everyone hates the guy, I think if you look at what his job entails, he has done a great job. His job isn't to please us.

the only thing I dont like is the league is trying to take REAL hockey away from us, the scott stevens, the eddie shores away from us they need to let the game be policed ON the ice. .. but even this issue may not be bettmans idea, but I think its him who wants to ditch fighting to please the American audience

Thoughts

Under his leadership revenues have increased +1300%. From $400m to $3B and you want to fire him because he made you mad?

Quit your whining.

How does he keep his job? Because he understands that he only has to please the owners.

He fancies himself an autocratic figurehead who resorts to intimidation, and he routinely takes a confrontational and uncompromising stance on everything which produces consequences such as a lockout every few years.

The reason things looked especially dire about a year ago is because Fehr took a similar approach, because apparently you have to go to the extreme for any kind of parley with Bettman. It was a game of chicken. Both of them deserve to be reprimanded harshly for endangering the game like that. Neither of them should be employed.

From a fan's perspective, he is the last guy you want in charge of any kind of business negotiation. Maybe the worst man ever when it comes to business relations. But his hardball approach always delivers for the owners, and that is all he needs to do.

If you look at his job description, you might have guessed that he should have been fired years, even decades ago:

6.1 Office of Commissioner, Election and Term of Office The League shall employ a Commissioner selected by the Board of Governors. The Commissioner shall serve as the Chief Executive Officer of the League and is charged with protecting the integrity of the game of professional hockey and preserving public confidence in the League. The Board of Governors shall determine the term of office and compensation of the Commissioner. The Commissioner shall be elected a majority of the Governors present and voting at a League meeting at which a quorum was present when it was convened.“

Bettman tells us how: "If I take to the ice and it's completely silent, then I know I'm in trouble." Best way to get him fired is to stay home.

If Bettman hadn't been a masterful politician keeping the owners on his side by any means, they would see that in the 20 years he's worked for them, he failed to reach his promise. Revenues have grown during his time, yes, but not as he's promised: the traditional markets have picked the lion's share of profit growth while the south still struggles to remain relvant. Eleven teams have recorded losses, an improvement from a few years back. Still, Bettman had 20 years to reach his goal of competing in the market. It largely hasn't worked. But the owners won't see that until their arenas are quiet and people stopp watching TV.

How does he keep his job? Because he understands that he only has to please the owners.

Read in a magazine sometime back that Bettman also approves or denies prospective owners from buying franchises. All he has to do is ask a prospective buyer if they'd be his "crony" and tow the line, and then they make an offer. Enter Jim Ballsilie's repeated efforts to buy an NHL franchise. Every owner in the league is in his line and they'll stick with him until their fans all stay home.

Evidently, just look up the league revenues on google. You'll notice that his hardball approach hasn't delivered enough revenue - in fact, a few short years ago, American teams combined posted a net loss - if the Canadian teams pulled out, the NHL would go solvent and close down.

How... or when.... will Bettman lose his job? When Jeremy Jacobs is no longer the Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors.

As much as everyone hates the guy, I think if you look at what his job entails, he has done a great job. His job isn't to please us.

the only thing I dont like is the league is trying to take REAL hockey away from us, the scott stevens, the eddie shores away from us they need to let the game be policed ON the ice. .. but even this issue may not be bettmans idea, but I think its him who wants to ditch fighting to please the American audience.

It's not about American teams wanting "safer" hockey, at all! The BOS owner & their fans revere mayhem in the stands, blood-baths & WWE-type drama & fights upon-the-ice. It's more about the Traditionalists vs the Progressives. The Progressives want to work with NHLPA to protect their chief marketing tools & their most valuable investments...the players. The NHL is used to luring the best hockey players in the world...but new player wealth has bought them better representation & their reps have uncovered the science that backs-up claims that the risks inherent to playing in this league, in some instances, are hardly worth the rewards.

Studies done post-mortum on cadavers of pugelistic athletes (including pro-hockey players) show strong linkages to Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE). Athletes with CTE have higher incidences of mental illness, depression, aggression, sleep-less-ness, alcohol & drug dependancy, and suicide. The Progressive GMs & owners thru-out the League respect the science. The traditionalists like Jacobs...DO NOT. The Progressives also respect their players and the players families. For the good of the game - they are hoping to curb the violence & have NHLers model better on-the-ice behaviors for the next generation of hockey stars.

In the modern world, mothers & fathers are better informed about the risks to their kids & they are beginning to believe & respect the science, too. Progressives want to work with the parents, players, doctors & junior leagues...to promote a brand-of-hockey that will elongate careers of pro-hockey players in North America...& also spare their families the heart-ache experienced by CTE sufferers.

I hope the game evolves so that our best athletes... are still encouraged to play it. Olympic Hockey with standards of the IIHF - suits me fine! Jeremy Jacobs is a Neadrathal. He clearly needs to fill a violence-niche in BOS to compete opposite the family-friendly offerings of the (NBA) Celtics, (MLB) Red Sox, (NFL) Patriots & (MLS) Revolution. Tradition is the norm in BOS. Progressive cities like VAN ...with the Rick Rypien legacy to motivate 'em....would prefer that the NHL game evolve into something..BETTER.

Bettman is Jacob's puppet. He placates the Progressives on one-side of the fence with talk of change & rule testing...& but he still greases the skids for tolerable violence by seeding the DPS with persons who have 0-6 alligiances - so that the rules stay ambiguous. He fails to see to it that the NHLOA deploys it's officials with fairness & consideration to each NHL team. Bettman is silent on officiating performance levels... or deployment procedures - when faced with criticism of NHL officiating. If he cannot be accountable...there's some indication that he totally "green-lights" lax rule-book enforcement...especially during the play-offs.

I'd say Bettman has done a piss poor job of safe-guarding the integrity of the game for some time. And - the game has grown by mere accident...as the Gretzky-trade really started that ball rolling...as did new technologies....& the necessity of having 2 or 3 tennants to anchor the big & brand-new (private or publicly-funded) buildings. But - DO credit Bettman for making the 0-6's richer. He has done that!

Revenue sharing schemes? Brilliant! That's how Jacobs recruited a bunch of absentee owners or investor-friends who could be more easily be bribed out of their votes. This league needs a progressive alternative to Bettman...& soon...or the NHL will no longer be able to entice & the best players in the world....only more victims for tabloid-fodder, rehab, early-residential-care... or city morgues.

Archived