The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do you guys deal with a loss?

Pouria

Yesterday I lost a classmate and a friend. We weren't close friends but he was a friendly and kind person and he was part of our dentistry family. Our dental class has 48 students and we are a close knit group that always helps each other. It is the prelim exams and it is hard to study during this very emotional time. They canceled the exams yesterday due to this sudden tragic news that shocked everyone in our class and we still have that lingering grief and feeling of sadness today that has made studying for exams an uphill battle. He was a young, 21 year old guy that passed away due to congenital heart disease. He was pronounced dead before reaching the hospital.

So how do you guys deal with such a loss in a critical time where there are exams and it is so close to Christmas (a time that everyone is happy and joyful)?

I celebrate life, I do not mourn death. I remember the person I respect their memory I do not forget or disrespect someone by mourning. It detracts from all the great things a person did when they were alive.

Drink, dance enjoy. Think of someone looking in from the afterlife on their close people in their lives, would they rather see those people sad and desolate over a loss, or smiling laughing and enjoying life in a way someone who has passed on obviously can't?

I remember when my Grandpa died. I had a pre-calculus day the next day and couldn't study. So I went to school the next day, studied during the lunch break, and then did the test in his honor (he was a big science/math guy) and got 90% on it. I almost started to cry when I got the test back haha.

I celebrate life, I do not mourn death. I remember the person I respect their memory I do not forget or disrespect someone by mourning. It detracts from all the great things a person did when they were alive.

Drink, dance enjoy. Think of someone looking in from the afterlife on their close people in their lives, would they rather see those people sad and desolate over a loss, or smiling laughing and enjoying life in a way someone who has passed on obviously can't?

Even though we should all move on, it is still shocking and its so sudden that you don't even know how to react. When I received the news yesterday when I came to class, I was not receptive to it in a way that I was still in denial. Then after 1 hour of realizing what had happened, it really hit home, and I was really in tears along with my fellow classmates. We always say that everyone should move on after a loss but you don't realize how hard it is to move on until you actually lose someone that is close to you or your friend. After all, we are all humans and sometimes we can't control our emotions no matter how hard we try.

I remember when my Grandpa died. I had a pre-calculus day the next day and couldn't study. So I went to school the next day, studied during the lunch break, and then did the test in his honor (he was a big science/math guy) and got 90% on it. I almost started to cry when I got the test back haha.

I hear you bro, I have to go through the same thing. I have an exam today and just woke up to study for it. I just couldn't open a book yesterday and didn't study at all.

People deal with grief differently. Don't imply that others might be disrespecting the dead by mourning in their own way.

Time heals, and these initial intense emotions will ease for you soon, especially since this wasn't a close friend of yours. In the meantime, talk about the loss with your friends in the dentistry family, your close friends, and your family. You'll find that being around the people you care about will ease your emotions. Well that and good scotch.

I've lost two family members in the last two years and it is a real kick in the nads. But focussing on my kids and having very supportive friends and family has helped me "get over" the losses, if there is such a thing. They make you realize what's really important in life.

Get on with your normal routine asap, and that includes studying for exams. You go through enough crap like this and you begin to realize that the world around you doesn't stop for anybody.

Think of someone looking in from the afterlife on their close people in their lives, would they rather see those people sad and desolate over a loss, or smiling laughing and enjoying life in a way someone who has passed on obviously can't?

speak for yourself, homeboy

i hope the world goes into a month long silence when i pass

I lost my best friend a few years back I'd known him since we where in Kindergarten. I've also known several other people who have died well before their time. I learned long ago that the best way to deal with the loss of a friend or classmate/co-worker is not to dwell on it too much. Go to the funeral, have a drink in their honor and rather than dwell on their death think of the good times / funny memories. That being said it's different for every person and Im sure you will find your own way of dealing with it

For me it usually depends on how the death happens. I admit I a little alternative and don't often feel much negative when it comes to death. I see it as a phase of life no more beautiful or ugly than birth itself. The only time it tends to upset me is if the person left behind significant responsibilities like a young child or if they died a particularly unprovoked gruesome death in which case I just try to help out the closest people to said person.

Why the hell would I drink and DANCE if someone close to me died.

Archived