The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis strategy for the deadline,draft and FA season

Bert Diesel

If I were Gillis, I wouldn't trade for anyone at the deadline this year unless they can be retained or resigned. We shouldn't give up ANY of our prospects; if you look at Utica, it is evident that our current AHL depth is pitiful. Prospects are going to give us depth next year so when injuries happen, we won't have to play the likes of Dalpe, Welsh, Archibald, Pelltier, who are slightly above average in the A. And let's be honest CDC, none of those guys are likely to contribute in a meaningful way to an NHL team. When we have to play these guys, we have to give other, aging players huge amounts of ice-time.

It would be much better to give those spots from injuries to the likes of Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Schroeder,Jensen next year, so trading these guys away at the deadline saps the strength of our entire organization. We need to bring guys along playing OUR system and learning from guys like the Sedins and Kesler. That's what Detroit continually does with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Guys BECOME better players than they would in other organizations(Florida) because they play with world class players like the Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis.

Having these guys in the AHL as ready NHL callups gives us a decided advantage once injuries hit. Look at guys like Linden Vey, and Toffoli in Los Angeles who have filled in for injuries and actually given their teams big boosts. People on CDC often forget how important it is to have 5 full lines of depth in your system, Detroit is continually competitive because they follow this model. We shouldn't cave into Canadian market peer pressure and make a stupid trade to put us over the top this year. I continually hear that the Sedin's have peeked. But they are still producing consistently

Principles I would run the Canucks on moving into the future:

Keep the integrity of our organization by contuining to honour no-trade clauses.

Balance the team with size and skill)not the moronic Brian Burke motto: Size is everything, but keeping some toughness, as long as they aren't defensive nightmare.

Add a Puck mover for the powerplay, we need someone on the point who is truly creative(Ehroff, B. Campbell,etc.)

Lets trade away:

No prospects

No Draft Picks unless we can fill an essential need moving forward. A Derek Roy or Sami Pahlsonn type trade would be useless unless we gave up very little for it. Let not trade for any free-agents unless were positive they would re-sign.

With the cap going up at the draft, we can make a trade or sign a free-agent that fills our needs which are:

1.elite Puck moving defenceman

2. One more top nine winger or center

Anyways a bit of a rant but any thoughts?

If I were Gillis, I wouldn't trade for anyone at the deadline this year unless they can be retained or resigned. We shouldn't give up ANY of our prospects;

if you look at Utica, it is evident that our current AHL depth is pitiful. Prospects are going to give us depth next year so when injuries happen, we won't have to play the likes of Dalpe, Welsh, Archibald, Pelltier, who are slightly above average in the A. And let's be honest CDC, none of those guys are likely to contribute in a meaningful way to an NHL team.

Was interested in the first line - agree that the team should not be spending prospects on rentals.... but then you had to prejudge the potential of guys like Archibald and the rest of the AHL roster. I think there's more potential there than you realize.

I like Corrado, Jensen, Eriksson, Archibald, Grenier, Mullen Tommernes... I think you've written off the talent in Utica far too quickly - and neither Dalpe nor Welsh have looked out of place in depth roles on the Canucks.

Otherwise, I agree - for the most part. I'm not as fixed on an "elite" pmd though - if you want one of those, forget the rest of your post, you will be paying, and most of them are over-rated.

Balance the team with skill and size-yeah-going down the Gillis highway where 2.5 years are lost in the Kassian trade fog.

Dalpe and Welsh are solid depth players-ok,whatever floats your boat.

Corrado could fill a spot.Pelletier has had a cup of coffee in Vancouver.

Jensen never recovered from the concussion he suffered and the rest are projects.

Archibald could do some fourth line minutes.

So,one real NHLer in Utica for the Canucks organisation.

I agree with the OP in stopping the Gillis giveaway tradition and start building from within.

One fifth round Corrado or third round Cassels does not give the Canucks organisation a pass as their drafting has sucked but if it continues to improve it would be anti-productive to keep giving away potential roster players,as Gillis has chosen to do in years past.

The record of Utica this year would indicate that most of these guys are not NHL players. Archibald cannot score at the AHL level so what on earth would make you think he's a good prospect? Yes, he has so-called grit but he has very little offensive upside. Bringing up a guy just to fill just a grinding role, with AHL skill, is the same logic that gave us Viktor Oreskovich on our fourth line in the 2011 playoffs. We lost the cup that year because we ran out of NHL players who could bring at least a smidgeon of offense.

We need guys who are physical, and can bring an offensive element to the NHL. I'm just saying, having AHL players on your 4th line isn't going to cut it in the NHL anymore. Teams like Boston, Chicago, LA , SJ are succesful because of their organizational depth. Something we clearly don't have at the moment. Let's not trade it away so people on CDC can actually brag about prospects more likely to suceed than the likes of Archibald.

I basically agree with OP. We don't have the depth or moving parts to make the kind of trade that would address our biggest needs, so we're better off trying to build it up from within now. We'll see who we can sign in the summer and how our lineup looks once we get Horvat and maybe Shinkaruk in next year, and Gaunce in Utica. Just getting our injured players back will make a positive impact. Hold the course for now.

Yeah I agree. I think we should play out his cycle of developing prospects and letting a new core take over. The time we should kind of make a push in my opinion is when:

Sedins are still 1st/2nd line players

Kesler/Burrows/Santorelli/Kassian are still (hopefully) top 9 players

Horvat/Shinkaruk/Cassels/Gaunce/Jensen/Schroeder... etc are around 21-25

Hamhuis/Edler/Garrison/Tanev/Bieksa/ are still top 4 defensemens..

It has to be the right timing, before the Sedins really decline and when the prospects are developed to a pretty decent level. That is when we should jump forward and throw the farm for some players. This is assuming our prospects live up to their potential or close to it, packaging some picks and prospects for impact players is my ideal way of going all in.

Only 8-12% of players selected past round four are successful.

The only round his drafting has really lacked was the second round.

I do not expect any of the 2013 draftees to play a role so early so we will judge the Gillis record of prior drafts:

2012 picks past round four:

Hutton,Myron and Beattie.

0 for 3

2011 picks past round four:

Corrado,Westerholm and Tommernes

1 for 3

2010 picks past round four:

Polasek,Friesen,Lilhati and Hannay

0 for 4

2009 picks past round four:

Andersson,Canatta and Anthony

0 for 3

2008 picks past round four:

Clark ,Rai and Froshaug

0 for 3

16 picks.One NHL roster player.

So,if the 8-12% success statistic applies(wide brush to paint with) the Canucks under Gillis suck real bad with a 6% success rate past round four.

And they're supposed to develop/showcase him in a two month window?....

This is his fourth year in the system.

I have hope for Schroeder but I was extending the thought that if they are going to moneyball him they have no place for both he and Horvat on the roster.

JC is not taking a spot from Kes and neither is Horvat any time soon.

To me, it really depends on what we get in the trade.

- If we get a Roy (an obvious rental player) than no thanks

- If we get a Higgins or a Lapierre (players that have helped us a lot) then I don't see why not

Gillis has actually had a pretty good track record at the deadline despite people saying otherwise. People seem to expect some blockbuster move to happen or something. While it sometimes works (ie. Pittsburgh getting Neal) it doesn't always either.

While I won't complain if we don't do anything, if we find another Higgins or a Lapierre I think that would be in our best interest.

Archived