Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,802 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:06 PM

POPULAR

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...tions-1.2470465

A joint review panel has recommended the federal government approveEnbridge's Northern Gateway pipeline project, with conditions.

The approval hinges on 209 required conditions, including developing a marine mammal protection plan, researching heavy oil cleanup and conducting emergency response exercises.

The recommendation comes after more than a year of hearings in B.C. and Alberta.

The final decision, however, rests with the federal government, which has 180 days to decide.

The $6.5-billion pipeline would take bitumen from Alberta's oilsands to the B.C. coast for tanker export to Asia. But the controversial proposal has pitted Calgary-based Enbridge against environmental groups and several First Nations.

The pipeline has also been a lightning rod in the debate over climate change and has raised concerns about the effects an oil spill would have on environmentally sensitive areas along the B.C. coast.

The B.C. government had told the panel it did not support the pipeline as proposed, and more than 130 aboriginal bands signed a declaration against the project.

Alberta Premier Alison Redford had said she hoped the panel would endorse the proposed pipeline as her province strives to diversify market access for the oilsands.

Both the federal NDP and Liberals have voiced opposition to the project.

------------------------------------------------------

The first nations groups in this province have not agreed, the people have not approved. This has only been approved because it benefits "all Canadians"

But when asked about the people living on the coast in BC who would be affected in the event of a major spill the panel shuffled papers and kept reading. When asked about the loss of $1.4 billion in salmon and sport fishing the panel ignored the speaker. When asked about the $2.2 billion in tourism revenue lost int he event of a spill the panel kept reading and ignored the speaker.

The Clark government in BC is applauding this. They will receive $40 million a yer $1.2 billion over 30 years.

The Alberta government is applauding this, they will receive $32 billion over 30 years

The federal government is applauding this, they will receive almost $40 billion over 30 years.

The first nations speaker stood up at the end of the hearing and very clearly spoke. If you want a war in the woods we have just been invited to give you one.

As a citizen of BC and Canada I feel lied to betrayed and cheated right now.

The most telling feature from all of this is that under the FIPA/CIPA had this not gone through China and Chinese owned companies operating in canada had the rights to sue BC and the feds for tens of billions in "lost revenue"

Thanks for voting.

CIaude Giroux Posted 27 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#2 Ronalds.Kenins41

Ronalds.Kenins41

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

:shock:

Posted Image

Edited by Sedins23, 19 December 2013 - 03:17 PM.

b4cl1j.jpg

Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the awesome RK sig

#3 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,675 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:12 PM

The Clark government in BC is applauding this. They will receive $40 million a yer $1.2 billion over 30 years.

The Alberta government is applauding this, they will receive $32 billion over 30 years

The federal government is applauding this, they will receive almost $40 billion over 30 years.

The first nations speaker stood up at the end of the hearing and very clearly spoke. If you want a war in the woods we have just been invited to give you one.

As a citizen of BC and Canada I feel lied to betrayed and cheated right now.

The most telling feature from all of this is that under the FIPA/CIPA had this not gone through China and Chinese owned companies operating in canada had the rights to sue BC and the feds for tens of billions in "lost revenue"

Thanks for voting.

Sadly this part of the article, particularly the bolded, sums up why we never really had any say in this.
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,802 posts

:shock:

Posted Image

Watch the proceedings. It was a travesty and a complete farce.

He's out for 6 months (which will hinder his development) and he really needs that development. There's already worries that he won't translate to the NHL and he'll end up a huge ass bust.

#5 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,802 posts

Sadly this part of the article, particularly the bolded, sums up why we never really had any say in this.

Clark has agreed to this saying ti is an economic boon to BC but one spill wipes out more in 1 year of fishing than 30 years of tax royalties

#6 NightHawkSniper

NightHawkSniper

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,666 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Oh it's never about the money...

5577747361_37d631069c_m.jpg

#7 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

The sad thing is, we all probably knew this was going to happen no matter what.

This ends badly.

#8 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 18,675 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Clark has agreed to this saying ti is an economic boon to BC but one spill wipes out more in 1 year of fishing than 30 years of tax royalties

You're actually expecting politicians to have long term vision when there's dollar signs blocking their sight?
"Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you."
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

POPULAR

What's amazing to me is that people who are against this have no alternative solution to get the oil to Asia.
It is going to get there one way or another.

They just like to complain.

The governments and what have you have come up with 209 conditions before any oil can move down the line.

This might not be the 100% guaranteed no issues whatsoever solution, but it's the best they have right now.
Transporting by vehicle would create far more chances that something goes wrong and more greenhouse gases.

Do I have a better solution? Nope, I'm afraid not.

Am I happy with the current solution? Not really, but I see how it's the best way right now.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#10 goalie13

goalie13

Osgoodian One

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,248 posts

Was there ever any doubt?

I'm surprised that people would actually think this would not unfold as it has.
Posted Image

#11 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,802 posts

The first nations chief has threatened a war in the woods to make Oka and Clayoquat look like playground spats in comparison. He has just stated that you can bring the army in and we will bury them in the same ground as the promises of this federal government. The day the army starts following the orders of the corporate controlled government instead of the people is the day we have lost democracy anyways.

Way to go Phillip, good ol Penticton boy

Edited by Warhippy, 19 December 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#12 Warhippy

Warhippy

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,802 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

What's amazing to me is that people who are against this have no alternative solution to get the oil to Asia.

The governments and what have you have come up with 209 conditions before any oil can move down the line.

This might not be the 100% guaranteed no issues whatsoever solution, but it's the best they have right now.
Transporting by vehicle would create far more chances that something goes wrong and more greenhouse gases.

Am I happy with the current solution? Not really, but I see how it's the best way right now.

$1.2 billion over 30 years. Alberta and the Feds will share just shy of $80 billion.

Really? I am not against a pipeline so much as I am against the bend me over and do it dry attitude BC is giving and or getting

#13 Ronalds.Kenins41

Ronalds.Kenins41

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

$1.2 billion over 30 years. Alberta and the Feds will share just shy of $80 billion.

Really? I am not against a pipeline so much as I am against the bend me over and do it dry attitude BC is giving and or getting

Wasn't that the reason they didn't want to do the pipeline. How did Christie lose out on everything.

Sad day in BC :(

Edited by Sedins23, 19 December 2013 - 03:24 PM.

b4cl1j.jpg

Thanks to GoaltenderInterference for the awesome RK sig

#14 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,550 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, I'm surprised they accepted for such a small piece of the pie as well.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

cdc-unavailable.jpg

#15 Tearloch7

Tearloch7

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,219 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:28 PM

There WILL be blood ..

"To Thine Own Self Be True"

"Always tell the Truth. That way, you don’t have to remember what you said"  ~ Mark Twain ~

#16 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,492 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:32 PM

It's not approved. This is just the recommendation.

Now they have to deal with First Nations, the environmental people, etc...this is far from being approved.

#17 Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

The Last Of Us

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

POPULAR

Well, so much for Canada.

Any room on the moon? This planet sucks.

155hwn4.jpg

#18 TheRussianRocket™

TheRussianRocket™

Abused Potato

• Members
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:42 PM

The sad thing is, we all probably knew this was going to happen no matter what.

This ends badly.

Yep, pretty much this.

The rich get richer, put lives of civilians, animals, natural habitats at risk. This is going to be awful. Only way I'd approve is if they drop our gas prices here in lower mainland/Vancouver area to $1 but even then I don't know if that'd be worth the risk. Not a fan of a pipeline in our backyard, just too dangerous.

Spoiler

Edited by TheRussianRocket™, 19 December 2013 - 03:57 PM.

tumblr_nfmdrowNrE1u1hiuoo1_250.gif <------------------------------------> tumblr_nfmdrowNrE1u1hiuoo2_250.gif

1419739Yp5NJQYa.gif

#19 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,477 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

POPULAR

The first nations chief has threatened a war in the woods to make Oka and Clayoquat look like playground spats in comparison. He has just stated that you can bring the army in and we will bury them in the same ground as the promises of this federal government. The day the army starts following the orders of the corporate controlled government instead of the people is the day we have lost democracy anyways.

Way to go Phillip, good ol Penticton boy

Who made them the ultimate unvoted for authority of the land? If they want to illegally start a violent campaign let them - we can then just toss them in jail.

#20 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,002 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

POPULAR

40 million a year doesn't seem like much for the risk involved. Less than 2/3rds of the Canucks annual salary to risk the natural beauty of our Province, which I would argue is a huge part of our identity.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#21 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,477 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:44 PM

Yep, pretty much this.

The rich get richer, put lives of civilians, animals, natural habitats at risk. This is going to be awful. Only way I'd approve is if they drop our gas prices here in lower mainland/Vancouver area to $1 but even then I don't know if that'd be worth the risk. Not a fan of a pipeline in our backyard, just too dangerous.

You already have one - the transmountain pipeline. And if Northern gateway got approved you can bet it will too.

#22 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,492 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yep, pretty much this.

This makes no sense whatsoever. You claim to care about animals, civilians, natural habitats---that it's dangerous and awful BUT, if it's $1 litre, fark all that do it.

Lazy, selfish hypocrite much?

#23 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,492 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

POPULAR

Who made them the ultimate unvoted for authority of the land? If they want to illegally start a violent campaign let them - we can then just toss them in jail.

I would imagine they would have the same question.

#24 ilduce39

ilduce39

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,002 posts

POPULAR

As a law-abiding, tax-paying private citizen I would applaud any protest taken against this pipeline, lawful or no. So don't lump me in with your "we" speak.
T-Bone said:
remind them all of Tbone, remeber me for how I lived, not how I was banned
*sig too big

#25 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,477 posts

You're actually expecting politicians to have long term vision when there's dollar signs blocking their sight?

A politician with long term vision had better have dollar signs firmly in their site. Those that don't will end up not having to pay for healthcare, our existing debt, our massive infrasturture deficit that are all on top of our already existing huge shortfalls in CPP and public sector pensions that those who fail at math don't even realise exist.

#26 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,477 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

As a law-abiding, tax-paying private citizen I would applaud any protest taken against this pipeline, lawful or no. So don't lump me in with your "we" speak.

As a Canadian citizen you're we whether you like it or not. Much like we voted down the HST. In other words, I agree that we disagree on everything other than we are pretty stupid.

#27 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,477 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

It's not approved. This is just the recommendation.

Now they have to deal with First Nations, the environmental people, etc...this is far from being approved.

Or they can cave, cancel it, have no way of coming close to balancing the budget or financing the beloved social programs Canadians take for granted and face the wrath of the entire electorate both right and left wing.

Seems obvious to me that it's getting built even if you elect the green party of bc and have our new leader doing a sit in on the oil route to the sea with an army of native warriors behind them - it's getting built anyways, just as I predicted.

#28 J.R.

J.R.

Rainbow Butt Monkey

• Members
  • 18,675 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

No, the best way would be to refine it here, creating more, better and longer term jobs and a safer product to transport. To have better assurances that the companies profiting from OUR oil would be solely responsible for all damages both environmental and monetary, short and long term if there are ever any issues. That OUR resources aren't being sold off to China based on their demands for the lowest possible dollar. That BC gets a fairer share of those dollars for the large amount of risk it's taking on for transporting it over our land and out of our ports on our coastlines.

I agree that a pipeline was a forgone conclusion and is currently the best and safest way to accomplish moving it. It's all the surrounding issues that are the problem.
- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 inane

inane

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,492 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Or they can cave, cancel it, have no way of coming close to balancing the budget or financing the beloved social programs Canadians take for granted and face the wrath of the entire electorate both right and left wing.

Seems obvious to me that it's getting built even if you elect the green party of bc and have our new leader doing a sit in on the oil route to the sea with an army of native warriors behind them - it's getting built anyways, just as I predicted.

I don't think it's a slam dunk, although I do think it will get rammed through.

#30 TheRussianRocket™

TheRussianRocket™

Abused Potato

• Members
  • 8,685 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

This makes no sense whatsoever. You claim to care about animals, civilians, natural habitats---that it's dangerous and awful BUT, if it's $1 litre, fark all that do it.

Lazy, selfish hypocrite much?

I just threw that out there, chill out and said even then I wouldn't do it, just a thought lol. Wasn't a serious statement, so to make myself clear, I am against the pipeline lol.

tumblr_nfmdrowNrE1u1hiuoo1_250.gif <------------------------------------> tumblr_nfmdrowNrE1u1hiuoo2_250.gif

1419739Yp5NJQYa.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.