The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Northern Gateway Pipeline KILLED

Warhippy

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/northern-gateway-pipeline-recommended-for-federal-approval-with-conditions-1.2470465

A joint review panel has recommended the federal government approveEnbridge's Northern Gateway pipeline project, with conditions.

The approval hinges on 209 required conditions, including developing a marine mammal protection plan, researching heavy oil cleanup and conducting emergency response exercises.

The recommendation comes after more than a year of hearings in B.C. and Alberta.

The final decision, however, rests with the federal government, which has 180 days to decide.

The $6.5-billion pipeline would take bitumen from Alberta's oilsands to the B.C. coast for tanker export to Asia. But the controversial proposal has pitted Calgary-based Enbridge against environmental groups and several First Nations.

The pipeline has also been a lightning rod in the debate over climate change and has raised concerns about the effects an oil spill would have on environmentally sensitive areas along the B.C. coast.

The B.C. government had told the panel it did not support the pipeline as proposed, and more than 130 aboriginal bands signed a declaration against the project.

Alberta Premier Alison Redford had said she hoped the panel would endorse the proposed pipeline as her province strives to diversify market access for the oilsands.

Both the federal NDP and Liberals have voiced opposition to the project.

------------------------------------------------------

The first nations groups in this province have not agreed, the people have not approved. This has only been approved because it benefits "all Canadians"

But when asked about the people living on the coast in BC who would be affected in the event of a major spill the panel shuffled papers and kept reading. When asked about the loss of $1.4 billion in salmon and sport fishing the panel ignored the speaker. When asked about the $2.2 billion in tourism revenue lost int he event of a spill the panel kept reading and ignored the speaker.

The Clark government in BC is applauding this. They will receive $40 million a yer $1.2 billion over 30 years.

The Alberta government is applauding this, they will receive $32 billion over 30 years

The federal government is applauding this, they will receive almost $40 billion over 30 years.

The first nations speaker stood up at the end of the hearing and very clearly spoke. If you want a war in the woods we have just been invited to give you one.

As a citizen of BC and Canada I feel lied to betrayed and cheated right now.

The most telling feature from all of this is that under the FIPA/CIPA had this not gone through China and Chinese owned companies operating in canada had the rights to sue BC and the feds for tens of billions in "lost revenue"

Thanks for voting.

The Clark government in BC is applauding this. They will receive $40 million a yer $1.2 billion over 30 years.

The Alberta government is applauding this, they will receive $32 billion over 30 years

The federal government is applauding this, they will receive almost $40 billion over 30 years.

The first nations speaker stood up at the end of the hearing and very clearly spoke. If you want a war in the woods we have just been invited to give you one.

As a citizen of BC and Canada I feel lied to betrayed and cheated right now.

The most telling feature from all of this is that under the FIPA/CIPA had this not gone through China and Chinese owned companies operating in canada had the rights to sue BC and the feds for tens of billions in "lost revenue"

Thanks for voting.

Sadly this part of the article, particularly the bolded, sums up why we never really had any say in this.

Sadly this part of the article, particularly the bolded, sums up why we never really had any say in this.

Clark has agreed to this saying ti is an economic boon to BC but one spill wipes out more in 1 year of fishing than 30 years of tax royalties

Clark has agreed to this saying ti is an economic boon to BC but one spill wipes out more in 1 year of fishing than 30 years of tax royalties

You're actually expecting politicians to have long term vision when there's dollar signs blocking their sight?

What's amazing to me is that people who are against this have no alternative solution to get the oil to Asia.

It is going to get there one way or another.

They just like to complain.

The governments and what have you have come up with 209 conditions before any oil can move down the line.

This might not be the 100% guaranteed no issues whatsoever solution, but it's the best they have right now.

Transporting by vehicle would create far more chances that something goes wrong and more greenhouse gases.

Do I have a better solution? Nope, I'm afraid not.

Am I happy with the current solution? Not really, but I see how it's the best way right now.

The first nations chief has threatened a war in the woods to make Oka and Clayoquat look like playground spats in comparison. He has just stated that you can bring the army in and we will bury them in the same ground as the promises of this federal government. The day the army starts following the orders of the corporate controlled government instead of the people is the day we have lost democracy anyways.

Way to go Phillip, good ol Penticton boy

What's amazing to me is that people who are against this have no alternative solution to get the oil to Asia.

It is going to get there one way or another.

They just like to complain.

The governments and what have you have come up with 209 conditions before any oil can move down the line.

This might not be the 100% guaranteed no issues whatsoever solution, but it's the best they have right now.

Transporting by vehicle would create far more chances that something goes wrong and more greenhouse gases.

Do I have a better solution? Nope, I'm afraid not.

Am I happy with the current solution? Not really, but I see how it's the best way right now.

$1.2 billion over 30 years. Alberta and the Feds will share just shy of $80 billion.

Really? I am not against a pipeline so much as I am against the bend me over and do it dry attitude BC is giving and or getting

$1.2 billion over 30 years. Alberta and the Feds will share just shy of $80 billion.

Really? I am not against a pipeline so much as I am against the bend me over and do it dry attitude BC is giving and or getting

Wasn't that the reason they didn't want to do the pipeline. How did Christie lose out on everything.

Sad day in BC :(

Yeah, I'm surprised they accepted for such a small piece of the pie as well.

The sad thing is, we all probably knew this was going to happen no matter what.

This ends badly.

Yep, pretty much this.

The rich get richer, put lives of civilians, animals, natural habitats at risk. This is going to be awful. Only way I'd approve is if they drop our gas prices here in lower mainland/Vancouver area to $1 but even then I don't know if that'd be worth the risk. Not a fan of a pipeline in our backyard, just too dangerous.

I kid guys, never meant what I said about being okay with it if has prices drop lol

The first nations chief has threatened a war in the woods to make Oka and Clayoquat look like playground spats in comparison. He has just stated that you can bring the army in and we will bury them in the same ground as the promises of this federal government. The day the army starts following the orders of the corporate controlled government instead of the people is the day we have lost democracy anyways.

Way to go Phillip, good ol Penticton boy

Who made them the ultimate unvoted for authority of the land? If they want to illegally start a violent campaign let them - we can then just toss them in jail.

Archived