The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Northern Gateway Pipeline KILLED

Warhippy

Yep, pretty much this.

The rich get richer, put lives of civilians, animals, natural habitats at risk. This is going to be awful. Only way I'd approve is if they drop our gas prices here in lower mainland/Vancouver area to $1 but even then I don't know if that'd be worth the risk. Not a fan of a pipeline in our backyard, just too dangerous.

You already have one - the transmountain pipeline. And if Northern gateway got approved you can bet it will too.

Yep, pretty much this.

The rich get richer, put lives of civilians, animals, natural habitats at risk. This is going to be awful. Only way I'd approve is if they drop our gas prices here in lower mainland/Vancouver area to $1 but even then I don't know if that'd be worth the risk. Not a fan of a pipeline in our backyard, just too dangerous.

This makes no sense whatsoever. You claim to care about animals, civilians, natural habitats---that it's dangerous and awful BUT, if it's $1 litre, fark all that do it.

Lazy, selfish hypocrite much?

Who made them the ultimate unvoted for authority of the land? If they want to illegally start a violent campaign let them - we can then just toss them in jail.

As a law-abiding, tax-paying private citizen I would applaud any protest taken against this pipeline, lawful or no. So don't lump me in with your "we" speak.

You're actually expecting politicians to have long term vision when there's dollar signs blocking their sight?

A politician with long term vision had better have dollar signs firmly in their site. Those that don't will end up not having to pay for healthcare, our existing debt, our massive infrasturture deficit that are all on top of our already existing huge shortfalls in CPP and public sector pensions that those who fail at math don't even realise exist.

As a law-abiding, tax-paying private citizen I would applaud any protest taken against this pipeline, lawful or no. So don't lump me in with your "we" speak.

As a Canadian citizen you're we whether you like it or not. Much like we voted down the HST. In other words, I agree that we disagree on everything other than we are pretty stupid.

It's not approved. This is just the recommendation.

Now they have to deal with First Nations, the environmental people, etc...this is far from being approved.

Or they can cave, cancel it, have no way of coming close to balancing the budget or financing the beloved social programs Canadians take for granted and face the wrath of the entire electorate both right and left wing.

Seems obvious to me that it's getting built even if you elect the green party of bc and have our new leader doing a sit in on the oil route to the sea with an army of native warriors behind them - it's getting built anyways, just as I predicted.

What's amazing to me is that people who are against this have no alternative solution to get the oil to Asia.

It is going to get there one way or another.

They just like to complain.

The governments and what have you have come up with 209 conditions before any oil can move down the line.

This might not be the 100% guaranteed no issues whatsoever solution, but it's the best they have right now.

Transporting by vehicle would create far more chances that something goes wrong and more greenhouse gases.

Do I have a better solution? Nope, I'm afraid not.

Am I happy with the current solution? Not really, but I see how it's the best way right now.

No, the best way would be to refine it here, creating more, better and longer term jobs and a safer product to transport. To have better assurances that the companies profiting from OUR oil would be solely responsible for all damages both environmental and monetary, short and long term if there are ever any issues. That OUR resources aren't being sold off to China based on their demands for the lowest possible dollar. That BC gets a fairer share of those dollars for the large amount of risk it's taking on for transporting it over our land and out of our ports on our coastlines.

I agree that a pipeline was a forgone conclusion and is currently the best and safest way to accomplish moving it. It's all the surrounding issues that are the problem.

Or they can cave, cancel it, have no way of coming close to balancing the budget or financing the beloved social programs Canadians take for granted and face the wrath of the entire electorate both right and left wing.

Seems obvious to me that it's getting built even if you elect the green party of bc and have our new leader doing a sit in on the oil route to the sea with an army of native warriors behind them - it's getting built anyways, just as I predicted.

I don't think it's a slam dunk, although I do think it will get rammed through.

This makes no sense whatsoever. You claim to care about animals, civilians, natural habitats---that it's dangerous and awful BUT, if it's $1 litre, fark all that do it.

Lazy, selfish hypocrite much?

I just threw that out there, chill out and said even then I wouldn't do it, just a thought lol. Wasn't a serious statement, so to make myself clear, I am against the pipeline lol.

A politician with long term vision had better have dollar signs firmly in their site. Those that don't will end up not having to pay for healthcare, our existing debt, our massive infrasturture deficit that are all on top of our already existing huge shortfalls in CPP and public sector pensions that those who fail at math don't even realise exist.

Short term gains for long term pain is not the answer to any of those problems Ron. You know that better than most people here.

What's amazing to me is that people who are against this have no alternative solution to get the oil to Asia.

It is going to get there one way or another.

They just like to complain.

The governments and what have you have come up with 209 conditions before any oil can move down the line.

This might not be the 100% guaranteed no issues whatsoever solution, but it's the best they have right now.

Transporting by vehicle would create far more chances that something goes wrong and more greenhouse gases.

Do I have a better solution? Nope, I'm afraid not.

Am I happy with the current solution? Not really, but I see how it's the best way right now.

Sad but true.

So many of those opposed to this have good arguments but fail to take into account how they themselves contribute to this. I live in the Kootenays on a reservoir that was once pristine wilderness with wildlife and farms. Now it is a huge fluctuating lake, made this way so that the citizens of BC can enjoy abundant, reliable and affordable electricity. Most British Columbians don't see this so they just blissfully use this power to live in the city with all its neon lights and massive power consumption.

I was in Vancouve rlast week and had the pleasure(?) of watching the thousands upon thousands of vehicles all day coming and going/commuting around the city. The amount of oil/gas required to fuel this lifestyle is mind-boggling. Yet, when the oil companies suggest increasing piping capacity to send these product to the lower mainland, everyone is up in arms :not in my back yard".

To all these people, what is your solution? Should everyone buy a horse? Will you be happy when farmland for food becomes grazing land for those horses? Most of the "anti" crowd are as much consumers of these products as everyone else but they are incapable of connecting the dots as to where the power and fuel that sustains their lifestyle comes from. They would rather import oil and gas from the Middle East, destroying their lands and risking the oceans transporting it than see anything in their own backyard.

Am I nervous about the pipeline, hell yes. DO I think the fate should be in the hands of first-nations,hell no - I've had some first hand dealings with their "protector of the land" policies and this is about $$$$$ and power for them. They mention Oka etc...that was a war brought about because the police tried to stem the flow of illegal guns, drugs and other products being smuggled through the reserve...what a noble cause!!

I hope there are sufficient conditions in place to make this as safe as it possibly can be but I, like everyone I know, has not right to live in this society and have an attitude that as long as it's not happening where I live, I'm fine with whatever happens somewhere else.

I think what bothers me the most about this whole project is that the people in charge have to be forced into performing safety studies and come up with standards. This is something they should have taken the initiative on, come to Canadians with, and then maybe, just maybe they would have more support for the project.

BP's "accident" was known about in advance and nothing was done to prevent it from happening because it would have cost them money in the short term. This is a rampant problem everywhere from the smallest to largest incidents, and something that our governments ostensibly seem to be repeating.

Alas, that's just how the oil industry works: penny wise, dollar stupid.

Sad but true.

No, the best way would be to refine it here, creating more, better and longer term jobs and a safer product to transport. To have better assurances that the companies profiting from OUR oil would be solely responsible for all damages both environmental and monetary, short and long term if there are ever any issues. That OUR resources aren't being sold off to China based on their demands for the lowest possible dollar. That BC gets a fairer share of those dollars for the large amount of risk it's taking on for transporting it over our land and out of our ports on our coastlines.

I agree that a pipeline was a forgone conclusion and is currently the best and safest way to accomplish moving it. It's all the surrounding issues that are the problem.

Who made them the ultimate unvoted for authority of the land? If they want to illegally start a violent campaign let them - we can then just toss them in jail.

When you talk about trespassing on first nations land without first nations approval, they ARE the ultimate law on their land.

end of story, no argument needed or persuasive enough to change that

It will be tied up for years if not decades in court before ground ever gets broken in BC

Sorry, but where in the article does it say "the BC government is applauding" this decision? Last I heard, they opposed the project. In fact, it say so right in the article posted by the OP.

If they'd had a change of heart on the matter, one would think that CBC news would have mentioned it in the article, n'est-ce pas?

Archived