The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Northern Gateway Pipeline KILLED

Warhippy

Maybe I am out to lunch on this, but I was under the impression that the oil we are talking about here isn't about fueling vehicles, but more for raw materials for all the stuff that gets shipped back to us.

Don't all of our iPods, cell phones, computers, TVs and millions of other products require oil to make the plastic that is used in production?

Basically everything consumable in our society is tied to oil in some capacity. If the oil tap were actually turned off, or reduced to where it impacted the price of the products it produces, our society would collapse. IF there were a viable alternative, great but there really isn't. I.e. electric cars...cost more to make, use more resources to build, have to dispose of the toxic materials they run on and...where does the electricity come from to power these vehicles?...let's flood the northern rivers and destroy thousands of acres of habitat...sounds cleaner than a pipeline and most people will never see the devastation such a flooding causes.

I would rather see an alternate route that could take to oil to a terminal where loading tankers was safer. However, don't be fooled that changing the route would pacify the First Nations (War Hippy) crowd. As is clear from his comments, this is about power and money wrapped in an environmental flag.

One of the worst environmental abuses I saw involved First Nations maximizing profits off their "ancestral lands". Made possible because they are their own government as WH says and the environmental rules don't apply to them.

Yes, what you say is correct. That is how the Feds are balancing the budget; by cutting transfer payments to the provinces.

They're doing exactly what they accused the then Martin Libs of doing. It is really scary.

one economist pretty much flat out said they are going to attempt to balance the budget by not meeting monetary obligations and basically not paying their bills.

Basically everything consumable in our society is tied to oil in some capacity. If the oil tap were actually turned off, or reduced to where it impacted the price of the products it produces, our society would collapse. IF there were a viable alternative, great but there really isn't. I.e. electric cars...cost more to make, use more resources to build, have to dispose of the toxic materials they run on and...where does the electricity come from to power these vehicles?...let's flood the northern rivers and destroy thousands of acres of habitat...sounds cleaner than a pipeline and most people will never see the devastation such a flooding causes.

I would rather see an alternate route that could take to oil to a terminal where loading tankers was safer. However, don't be fooled that changing the route would pacify the First Nations (War Hippy) crowd. As is clear from his comments, this is about power and money wrapped in an environmental flag.

One of the worst environmental abuses I saw involved First Nations maximizing profits off their "ancestral lands". Made possible because they are their own government as WH says and the environmental rules don't apply to them.

First off bud, the "war hippy crowd" is the majority.

Secondly, you don't read much of what I write do you? I am all for a pipeline PROVIDED it meets the basic requirements and is economically feasible. My big gripe right now is that they're lying to us, we are getting screwed monetarily and they just keep on telling people a large pack of crap and telling them it is good for them. $1.2 BILLION over 30 years. Fishing makes almost twice that along the coast per year. Running it through the Douglas Channel, 4th most dangerous waterway int he world would save them almost $200 million to not have to run it to Prince Rupert where BC taxpayers have spent over a billion int he last decade upgrading a port which is much much safer to ship through. Whyw ould I be ok with taking all of the risk for none fo the reward.

over 30 years

$1.2 Billion to BC

$36 Billion to Alberta

$40+ billion to the feds.

That seem like a good deal to you? $40 million a year....really?

My issues with the first nations part of this is that they've not contacted them at all. 8 years and have JUST started to meet with them in the last 14 months. The 209 recommendations list, the first nations councils have not even seen this list. There are rules to follow and they are not following them. That is my issue. You said it yourself, horrible things have been done to the first nations of this country int he past, ramming this through without their consent is just another wrong.

One of the worst environmental abuses I saw was a band in Alberta that had signed off to let their land be used, they got rich. A band across the river didn't sign off. They got crap. Nothing but pollution because the other band was upstream and when they tried to reneg on the contract they lost in court and had to watch as this other band basically got pushed out of their ancestral lands because the water was poison, the animals wouldn't come and there was nowhere else to go.

Why i am arguing you, I don't know. I have dealt with your type my whole life. Just because First Nations people have a different set of laws because this is by all records our land. You find fault with everything, we want permission asked. Oh theres not enough $ for you. We want enough money to offset the loss of our culture and way of life. Oh you're money grubbing. we don't want this here, oh you're enviro nuts.

Nothing will make your mindset happy. Just understand simply. There are rules and regulations involved. If they are not 100% met and agreed on by the first nations groups along the proposed route this line does not get built period

Running it through the Douglas Channel, 4th most dangerous waterway int he world would save them almost $200 million to not have to run it to Prince Rupert where BC taxpayers have spent over a billion int he last decade upgrading a port which is much much safer to ship through. Why would I be ok with taking all of the risk for none of the reward.

Is that the whole reason for going through Kitimat vs Rupert? Based on all the money this project is worth, I would think the $200M is just a drop in the bucket to them.

Is that the whole reason for going through Kitimat vs Rupert? Based on all the money this project is worth, I would think the $200M is just a drop in the bucket to them.

$6.5 billion yet they're going to save just over $180 million moving the pipe all the way to Prince Rupert.

As a First Nations person.. I am officially at war with the Canadian, British Columbia AND Alberta governments. Bunch of crooks they are.

Now why would that be ?the only claim to fame the so called First Nations have,is that they were first to arrive or migrate to this part of the North American continent we call Canada.Like wise with the Eskimo or Inuit as they are now known who themselves originated from Outer Mongolia before migrating here and laying claim to the lands we all share.

Now why would that be ?the only claim to fame the so called First Nations have,is that they were first to arrive or migrate to this part of the North American continent we call Canada.Like wise with the Eskimo or Inuit as they are now known who themselves originated from Outer Mongolia before migrating here and laying claim to the lands we all share.

Topic relevance how?

Don't see a heck of a lot of benefit, for the risk we BC'ers have to take. Yeah we need jobs, but one screw-up, large or small, will be all that it takes to come out with no benefit to us at all.

not exactly, just check up job openings in the cleanup company and enjoy a good paying job,

Opportunity for some of you guys to get some journeyman ticket or so and earn 100K a year minimum. Everybody happy.

Nope. As a tradesman I have been on fire about this since the inception of this project.

Enbridge and by extension the Chinese owned companies involved with this pipeline are not in any way shape or form obligated to use Canadian labour to build this line. In fact CNOOC and Nexen are legally allowed to use entirely chinese labourers as long as they are here for less than 6 months and under the guise of "training purposes". See Tumbler Ridge

As for the 560 promised full time jobs, up to 300 can be and will most likely be automated by enbridge after the line is built with 40 employees being stationed in Alberta to monitor and the rest being facility workers in the port with the bulk being auotomated along the length of the line.

The promise of jobs is a farce and has been from the moment Harper signed the FIPA/CIPA

My people, first off have always lived in this land. We have archaeological evidence to prove us as far back as 15 000 - 18 000 years. Wow.

Secondly- There are far more First Nations communities out there that heavily depend on the natural environment for food sources then you might realize. Salmon, Prawns, Crabs, Bottom Fish.. etc.. The water base between Vancouver- Victoria and Seattle have already been determind to be too poisoned to eat the food from it.. So why pollute the part of BC that actually hasn't been polluted.

I have been dealing with all the racist people through my small town all day. Let me hear more.

My people, first off have always lived in this land. We have archaeological evidence to prove us as far back as 15 000 - 18 000 years. Wow.

Secondly- There are far more First Nations communities out there that heavily depend on the natural environment for food sources then you might realize. Salmon, Prawns, Crabs, Bottom Fish.. etc.. The water base between Vancouver- Victoria and Seattle have already been determind to be too poisoned to eat the food from it.. So why pollute the part of BC that actually hasn't been polluted.

I have been dealing with all the racist people through my small town all day. Let me hear more.

Hear Hear.

You and me both. Broken Head Ojibwa from Manitoba myself, sick of the underlying racial tension. Just say it already we know you want to.

Archived