Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Warhippy

Northern Gateway Pipeline KILLED

821 posts in this topic

There was the Pembina oil spill in 2000

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/eemp/incidents/earlier/pembina_00.htm

I was there. What a mess. Oil spilling into rivers is virtually impossible to contain. It's hope that the oil will dissolve, evaporate, or settle on the river banks quickly to minimize the damage and make clean-up quicker.

Was that from that Spectra Plant? I know that they pipe directly to Chicago, but I read the Taylor - kamloops line?

Was that from that Spectra Plant? I know that they pipe directly to Chicago, but I read the Taylor - kamloops line?

It follows the two Spectra Energy natural gas lines (previously as Westcoast Energy, Duke Energy) and is a 12 inch line. I was working on Westcoast pipeline inspection crew in the Pine Pass at the time. Only worked on the oil spill for the first day setting up booms and such in the area where they sent the media crews. Made for TV crap that really didn't do anything to stop/clean the oil. But hey, look at us doing stuff. And diluted bitumen is WAY worse than the light crude that was spilled.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

What's amazing to me is that people who are against this have no alternative solution to get the oil to Asia.

It is going to get there one way or another.

They just like to complain.

The governments and what have you have come up with 209 conditions before any oil can move down the line.

This might not be the 100% guaranteed no issues whatsoever solution, but it's the best they have right now.

Transporting by vehicle would create far more chances that something goes wrong and more greenhouse gases.

Do I have a better solution? Nope, I'm afraid not.

Am I happy with the current solution? Not really, but I see how it's the best way right now.

I do. DON'T MINE IT AT ALL. The entire point is to advance into greener technologies and get away from oil. I believe some of the scientists who were muzzled by Harper said that if we were burn all the oil in the Alberta sands, the worlds co2 levels would reach 'doomsday' level. Eve if you made a pipeline 100% safe, we are still going to further fu**-up our planet with insane c02 output.

All of the oil we use to power the economy and transport us places will be useless when the storms get so great we can't go anywhere and it will end up costing the economy billions in lost revenue and emergency repairs and respondents (as in already happening today). \As the earth gets warmer, food will be harder to grow, fresh water reserves will deplete faster, water levels will rise, animals will die off disrupting food chains, all because we are blind by the almighty $ and don't want to be inconvenienced by change.

But I guess sometimes things have to get worse before they get better.

http://www.huffingto...m_hp_ref=canada

http://www.cnn.com/2...pt=hp_inthenews

http://www.scientifi...-global-warming

"Alberta's oil sands represent a significant tonnage of carbon. With today's technology there are roughly 170 billion barrels of oil to be recovered in the tar sands, and an additional 1.63 trillion barrels worth underground if every last bit of bitumen could be separated from sand. "The amount of CO2 locked up in Alberta tar sands is enormous," notes mechanical engineer John Abraham of the University of Saint Thomas in Minnesota, another signer of the Keystone protest letter from scientists. "If we burn all the tar sand oil, the temperature rise, just from burning that tar sand, will be half of what we've already seen"—an estimated additional nearly 0.4 degree C from Alberta alone."

Edited by hsedin33

About 2 years ago there was a break in a pipeline through Vancouver. iirc an entire block of houses was evacuated and it was months before some houses could be live in again.

It follows the two Spectra Energy natural gas lines (previously as Westcoast Energy, Duke Energy) and is a 12 inch line. I was working on Westcoast pipeline inspection crew in the Pine Pass at the time. Only worked on the oil spill for the first day setting up booms and such in the area where they sent the media crews. Made for TV crap that really didn't do anything to stop/clean the oil. But hey, look at us doing stuff. And diluted bitumen is WAY worse than the light crude that was spilled.

Yeah it's funny how big city folk who have never worked there have no idea. I bet the new pipeline is under watch for two years tops, then will fade out of the public eye/mind. Then the oil companies will call the shots again instead of the government.

I myself am part of the greed party. I have no qualms about this pipeline going through, better a pipeline than endless rail cars. But to tell us we are getting an equitable or fair share is a bloody lie. Pushing this trhough the Douglas Channle is a bloody joke, and then through the Great Bear Rainforest as well?

Come on man use your head

This is my main objection to the pipeline, at least as things now sit. The numbers indicated by the article in the OP, show that BC receives less than 2% of the financial benefit (while the Feds and Alberta rake in the other 98%) while bearing almost all of the risk. Even at 1.2 Billion, it isn't worth it, IMO.

Regarding Douglas channel, I agree that it was an underhanded (and stupid) move by Enbridge to omit the details of the map in their ads, but on a local call-in show, one of Northern BC's senior marine pilots was questioned at length about the dangers of navigating Douglas channel with the ships being proposed.

FWIW, he said the "danger" was being overstated by the environmentalist side and saw no problems at all with getting through the channel safely. He actually quoted the amount of clearance the ships would have and even in the narrowest areas of the channel, it was significant. The images posted make it look worse than it actually is.

I do. DON'T MINE IT AT ALL. The entire point is to advance into greener technologies and get away from oil. I believe some of the scientists who were muzzled by Harper said that if we were burn all the oil in the Alberta sands, the worlds co2 levels would reach 'doomsday' level. Eve if you made a pipeline 100% safe, we are still going to further fu**-up our planet with insane c02 output.

All of the oil we use to power the economy and transport us places will be useless when the storms get so great we can't go anywhere and it will end up costing the economy billions in lost revenue and emergency repairs and respondents (as in already happening today). \As the earth gets warmer, food will be harder to grow, fresh water reserves will deplete faster, water levels will rise, animals will die off disrupting food chains, all because we are blind by the almighty $ and don't want to be inconvenienced by change.

But I guess sometimes things have to get worse before they get better.

http://www.huffingto...m_hp_ref=canada

http://www.cnn.com/2...pt=hp_inthenews

http://www.scientifi...-global-warming

"Alberta's oil sands represent a significant tonnage of carbon. With today's technology there are roughly 170 billion barrels of oil to be recovered in the tar sands, and an additional 1.63 trillion barrels worth underground if every last bit of bitumen could be separated from sand. "The amount of CO2 locked up in Alberta tar sands is enormous," notes mechanical engineer John Abraham of the University of Saint Thomas in Minnesota, another signer of the Keystone protest letter from scientists. "If we burn all the tar sand oil, the temperature rise, just from burning that tar sand, will be half of what we've already seen"—an estimated additional nearly 0.4 degree C from Alberta alone."

Yet the Tar Sands is just a drop in the bucket compared to the rest of the world.

Greener technologies are available - but because of greed and/or complications, they can't become number 1 right now.

Not mining it at all right now would be stupid - unless you want to kick start another recession in Canada.

Come back with a solution that's also economically viable now.

If we don't get a refinery in Kitimat out of this deal I will be very disappointed.

If we don't get a refinery in Kitimat out of this deal I will be very disappointed.

And cheaper prices at the pump.

Time to buy Enbridge shares

Ron the civil already has. Thats why he is so keen to shill.

Is there anything we as people from the province of BC can do to help stop this? Or am I powerless? Ive been doing alot more reading on this, before I was ignorant and didnt care, now I want to do whatever I can to stop this.

Come 2015 vote, in the meantime write your local MP.

Alberta needs our land to enable a financial windfall, yet they pay us peanuts. How does this make sense for BC. Profits needs to be split more fairly before I ever support a pipeline through our beautiful province. BC needs to get at least 25% of the revenue as they are a key component to the deal. Alberta has nothing to lose and everything to gain. BC has everything to lose and not a whole lot to gain. 40 million annually isn't that much money when you think about it, 250 million is.

Edited by mpt

And cheaper prices at the pump.

Gas isn't any cheaper in Alberta (outside the GVRD)

Gas is expensive everywhere I had to pay 1.01 a liter the other day. On a positive note this deal allows the airline I work for to open a base in Vancouver( we deal mainly in oilfield support) and I know a lot of aircraft mechanic friends in Vancouver who will be happy at all the job openings, as well as pilots, dispatchers, rampies, office staff etc. Think of the spin off industries as well. Our YVR base opens in 2014 and the pay for all positions is significantly higher then any companies in YVR pay, and I know a lot of jobless ppl who are aviation by trade who would love a job in there home town rather then in AB, up north or out in Ontario.

Gas is expensive everywhere I had to pay 1.01 a liter the other day. On a positive note this deal allows the airline I work for to open a base in Vancouver( we deal mainly in oilfield support) and I know a lot of aircraft mechanic friends in Vancouver who will be happy at all the job openings, as well as pilots, dispatchers, rampies, office staff etc. Think of the spin off industries as well. Our YVR base opens in 2014 and the pay for all positions is significantly higher then any companies in YVR pay, and I know a lot of jobless ppl who are aviation by trade who would love a job in there home town rather then in AB, up north or out in Ontario.

1.01? And you think that us expensive? FFS I pay 1.29 a litre . And I have a 100 litre tank.

1.01? And you think that us expensive? FFS I pay 1.29 a litre . And I have a 100 litre tank.

Yeah, no crap. 1.44.

Alberta needs our land to enable a financial windfall, yet they pay us peanuts. How does this make sense for BC. Profits needs to be split more fairly before I ever support a pipeline through our beautiful province. BC needs to get at least 25% of the revenue as they are a key component to the deal. Alberta has nothing to lose and everything to gain. BC has everything to lose and not a whole lot to gain. 40 million annually isn't that much money when you think about it, 250 million is.

The collective governments sold us out for less than 75 billion. But a 3ft pipe produces 520,000 barrels a day. Oil lines never stop pumping, unless there's a spill. At the current price/Barrel, if the run full capacity for 30 years the oil companies will net 5.7 Trillion....that's TRILLION, and that figure is only that low if nothing speeds up or prices Don't rise. The government all in all took 1.3% or less of the net. Makes me wonder why in the F*** our income taxes aren't 1.3%????

To further this, christy Clark's government is taking .02 or less of a percent to run all the risk :picard:

Yeah, no crap. 1.44.

That's due to taxes. Many are carbon taxes.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/alberta-clipper-pipeline-restarted-after-oil-spill-south-of-regina

"Enbridge Inc. says it has restarted the Alberta Clipper pipeline after is it was shut down briefly due to an oil spill in southern Saskatchewan.

The leak happened at the Rowatt Station just south of Regina on Saturday just before 11 a.m. CST.

It's estimated that about 125 barrels were released from the pumping station.

The shut-down pipeline usually produces about 449, 000 barrels per day.

The company said most of the crude oil was contained to the grounds of Rowatt Station, but high winds sprayed some of the oil onto a nearby farm field.

Provincial officials including emergency response crews were notified, Enbridge said.

"There is no impact to the public, wildlife or waterways," the company said in a statement released Saturday.

The cause of the spill has not yet been determined, and is under investigation.

The National Energy Board is also responding to the spill. An emergency response team is at the site to monitor and assess the company's immediate response. "

Enbridge? Seems I know that name from some where?