The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Northern Gateway Pipeline KILLED

Warhippy

A little money will change his opinion guaranteed

You've got to be joking.

Why do you people always assume that first nations people will roll over and cave for a little bit of cash.

We are not white, we have a modicum of self respect for the most part.

By the way, Enbridge has been throwing money at these groups for almost 8 years and have gotten nowhere. Twice the spine of your average Conservative these days and 3 times the integrity

You don't bring bows and arrows to a gun fight.

Well your sweet little racist dig there is indicative of the mindset.

Newsflash. Most native bands have more and bigger guns than most white folk.

Both the native half and the Scottish half of me just despise that mentality.

Maybe some time outside of your sheltered life would do you some good. Making comments like that shows a lot about your character

Is there anything we as people from the province of BC can do to help stop this? Or am I powerless? Ive been doing alot more reading on this, before I was ignorant and didnt care, now I want to do whatever I can to stop this.

Write an MP and an MLA, write Enbridge. Sign up and actually show up to meetings or protests. be active and not just sitting in front of a keyboard

Yes there is. I have posted this more than once and it pretty much shows there are no excuses for not knowing or investing in "greener" alternatives. Not all Oil and Gas companies are corrupt money-grubbing evil empires (although most are and unfortunately seem to have a home in Canada) and one in particular (a French O&G company: Total) has invested in an idea spear-headed by a Canadian. Please note that this video is already a year old:

For more information: http://www.ambri.com/

The future isn't all doom and gloom but Canada sure looks bad/corrupt IMO for not stepping up and fully supporting a project like this one (especially since there are many, many more alternatives that could be seriously researched and invested in: http://reginnovations.org/ ). No excuses.

That is the kind of teachers, thinkers the world needs. Oh and guess what? Donald Sadoway is Canadian!

So you write this "We are not white, we have a modicum of self respect for the most part."

But get pissy about a comment you call racist. Pot meet kettle.

Yes I can write that. I am not making sly racial digs out of ignorance. People assume that the first nations community will roll over a a little fire water ro some cash whent hey've been blocking this from the beginning over 8 years ago.

IN the face of ever larger cheques from Enbridge and little if any consultation from the actual government the First Nations groups keep saying no.

And then we have comments like, give them money, don't bring bow and arrows to a gun fight.

Tell me that isn't racist.

And by and large, the people running this country and rolling over for money are white. That is precedence

Yes I can write that. I am not making sly racial digs out of ignorance. People assume that the first nations community will roll over a a little fire water ro some cash whent hey've been blocking this from the beginning over 8 years ago.

IN the face of ever larger cheques from Enbridge and little if any consultation from the actual government the First Nations groups keep saying no.

And then we have comments like, give them money, don't bring bow and arrows to a gun fight.

Tell me that isn't racist.

And by and large, the people running this country and rolling over for money are white. That is precedence

I think both sides should just stop being racist,

The word you're looking for is "precedent", ya racist ignorant schmuck.

And rolling over for money most certainly is not restricted to white people.

Oh I am sorry. I forgot that all of our elected MP's err oil lobbyists were of first nations or asian or african backgrounds....

The people pushing for this are the Alberta crowd by and large. The people opposing this is everyone else. You ignorant schmuck.

As for rolling over for money, the Conservative parties largest campaign contributors are from the oil and gas fields and the people saying no to the money are the groups opposed to this.

Greed is a factor, but you're thinking of that greed being on the wrong side of the fence.

I myself am part of the greed party. I have no qualms about this pipeline going through, better a pipeline than endless rail cars. But to tell us we are getting an equitable or fair share is a bloody lie. Pushing this trhough the Douglas Channle is a bloody joke, and then through the Great Bear Rainforest as well?

Come on man use your head

The oil is coming from Alberta, it's really not that complicated to figure out why they're getting such a large share of the money....

Bergenheim to BC is less than 300km, the rest is over 1100km through BC. BC then ships it through the 4th most dangerous water way on the planet. Runs over 1000 streams and rivers including 2 of the largest most productive rivers in North America.

Just because it comes from Alberta doesn't mean BC is worth only a pittance.

That's like me taking 99% credit for any job you do and then receiving 99% of the profit as well.

You're not the brightest crayon, are you? As demonstrated by the fact you're bitching about generalization of first nations while generalizing whites in return. Everything else in your post is irrelevant to that.

What does Alberta have to do with this? Alberta is white people and everywhere else is not? As for rolling over, you may want to check out what the phrase actually means. I'll help you a little, seeing as you're not the sharpest tool in the shed: one can't roll over for something one supported from the start. Rolling over implies giving up one's position. Conservatives have held this position from the get go. Who's rolling over?

None of the above has anything to do with white people, by the way.

Are you implying I'm thinking of the greed from the wrong side of the fence? What the hell does that sentence mean?

I think I see the problem you have when discussing these topics: anyone who disagrees automatically represents the worst aspects of the position you're against. So because I took issue with your racist nonsense about white people, I somehow condone this pipeline going through. Brilliant.

Use my head in regards to what, exactly? I don't support this particular pipeline, I don't support the way first nations are constantly treated by the Canadian government, I don't oppose every pipeline just because I oppose every pipeline. I don't want this beautiful province ruined for 40 mil per year, or any amount for that matter. I support sustainable, responsible development of resources that benefits Canadians. I want companies to be responsible for any damages that will inevitably take place. I want cooperation with first nations on development and have their voice count as a people.

So tell me, why should I use my head when you're the racist prick ignorantly claiming whites roll over for money?

Your posts are almost as big a bloody joke as pushing this through the Douglas Channel.

Seriously?

First you attack, then you obfuscate, then attack some more. You're not worth a bloody response. Also tone down the language if you would, maintain some semblance of a civilized conversation.

Rolling over, as I term it is what people are assuming the first nations and the environmental groups will do for a bit of cash. Don't kid yourself, that is not going to happen.

It's great you don't support it, but at least use more than an attack argument as your basis of defense please.

Seriously?

First you attack, then you obfuscate, then attack some more. You're not worth a bloody response. Also tone down the language if you would, maintain some semblance of a civilized conversation.

Rolling over, as I term it is what people are assuming the first nations and the environmental groups will do for a bit of cash. Don't kid yourself, that is not going to happen.

It's great you don't support it, but at least use more than an attack argument as your basis of defense please.

I wonder if you're smart enough to recognize that we hold the same position on the matter, and the only disagreement here stems from your racist claims against white people. I don't think you are, but I'd love to be wrong.

I have no idea one person is now speaking for hundreds of thousands of indigenous people, most of whom live east of Alberta and the Yukon.

You don't bring bows and arrows to a gun fight.

I wonder if you're smart enough to recognize that we hold the same position on the matter, and the only disagreement here stems from your racist claims against white people. I don't think you are, but I'd love to be wrong.

Now, as a first nations person and a scottish person I hold a weird distinction of being of 2 different heritages that are basically being held on their own land by different governance.

I see comments like those I just linked and there's no way in hell I sit back and allow that to happen.

It is indicative of the kind of mindset that is dominant in this country. people believe Natives are all out for money or will only make noise to better their cause.

If we are on the same side so be it, but before you start ripping on people and calling people names, understand why someone would flare up and get angry enough to say something like that to begin with.

Bergenheim to BC is less than 300km, the rest is over 1100km through BC. BC then ships it through the 4th most dangerous water way on the planet. Runs over 1000 streams and rivers including 2 of the largest most productive rivers in North America.

Just because it comes from Alberta doesn't mean BC is worth only a pittance.

That's like me taking 99% credit for any job you do and then receiving 99% of the profit as well.

when someone invests a ton of money into a business to get it going who makes the most money off of the business? the people doing all the grunt work? or the guy who owns it?

Now, as a first nations person and a scottish person I hold a weird distinction of being of 2 different heritages that are basically being held on their own land by different governance.

I see comments like those I just linked and there's no way in hell I sit back and allow that to happen.

It is indicative of the kind of mindset that is dominant in this country. people believe Natives are all out for money or will only make noise to better their cause.

If we are on the same side so be it, but before you start ripping on people and calling people names, understand why someone would flare up and get angry enough to say something like that to begin with.

I do understand. It's an inability to contain your racism once you get a little emotional.

No different than any other racist, be they white, yellow, black, or red.

Now go on, understand why someone said something like that about first nations earlier in the thread. Go on, you champion of understanding, you.

I do understand. It's an inability to contain your racism once you get a little emotional.

No different than any other racist, be they white, yellow, black, or red.

Now go on, understand why someone said something like that about first nations earlier in the thread. Go on, you champion of understanding, you.

Or you know we could talk about the actual topic at hand rather than putting each others personal beliefs up for debate.

Archived