The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Chicago Blackhawks - December 20, 2013

canucktican

They need to do something with the Sedins. Hansen just looks so out of place, and teams know Hansen isn't going to do anything out there and it's costing the Sedins time and space to work together. Say what you want about Burrows struggles this year, at least teams still respect the fact that he can finish a play and have to watch him, which gives the Sedins that extra bit of room.

Right now Dalpe would be an upgrade over Hansen on that line.

The problem with the Sedins is the Sedins. Everyone always blaming their lack of generating pressure/chances on whoever is on their line. They're making $7M each!! Hank doesn't even generate a shot on net most nights and a big night for Daniel is 2 shots! They look slower and less "connected" this year than last which was worse than the year before. Perhaps the wear and tear of being moderate sized, slow skaters who work along the boards has caught up to them but they are the architect of their own struggles.

The problem with the Sedins is the Sedins. Everyone always blaming their lack of generating pressure/chances on whoever is on their line. They're making $7M each!! Hank doesn't even generate a shot on net most nights and a big night for Daniel is 2 shots! They look slower and less "connected" this year than last which was worse than the year before. Perhaps the wear and tear of being moderate sized, slow skaters who work along the boards has caught up to them but they are the architect of their own struggles.

Of course they are worn down to some degree, what 33 year old athlete's body isn't? The Sedins are paid to be the key members of our team, and they still are. Their role is changing with the team, they're older, playing more minutes, harder minutes with PK time, and they're still nearly point per game players. We all know the Sedin's skill set: The Cycle. Every team knows its coming, and have for years and still they are successful at it because the 3rd man on the cycle has to know where to be. Hansen is not that guy. He makes some good reads out there, but he has 3rd line hands, half the time he dekes himself out. They just don't have chemistry with Hansen. I think Hank is still a legitimate top line centre in the NHL, Daniel has probably fallen off more, so having a guy like Burrows on the line is the difference between a 70 point season and an 80 point season for them at this stage in their career.

Wearing my new Bieksa shirt today, so clearly he's going to get the GWG

If Lu starts: 3-3 going going into the final 10 mintues. Bieksa with a bad turnover to kane who scores the game winner. Hawks score flurry of goals afterwards.

Hawks win 7-3.

If Lack starts: Hawks score 3 goals on 9 shots; lack is pulled.

Hawks win 5-1.

Of course they are worn down to some degree, what 33 year old athlete's body isn't? The Sedins are paid to be the key members of our team, and they still are. Their role is changing with the team, they're older, playing more minutes, harder minutes with PK time, and they're still nearly point per game players. We all know the Sedin's skill set: The Cycle. Every team knows its coming, and have for years and still they are successful at it because the 3rd man on the cycle has to know where to be. Hansen is not that guy. He makes some good reads out there, but he has 3rd line hands, half the time he dekes himself out. They just don't have chemistry with Hansen. I think Hank is still a legitimate top line centre in the NHL, Daniel has probably fallen off more, so having a guy like Burrows on the line is the difference between a 70 point season and an 80 point season for them at this stage in their career.

As much as they are still a big part of this team, I agree they have fallen off and that they are not the force they were a couple years ago. Hank has weathered better than Dan, who is certainly not worth his cap hit this year or last.

When you see opposing coaches recognize that the Sedins are less a danger than a line with a $600K/yr Santorelli on it, you know the twins have dropped off. Also Santo at +14 to Hanks +5 is a telling stat.

What I observe are two slow skating very talented players who's style has been scouted at length and every team now knows how to defend against. Their lack of speed and ability to beat players one-on-one makes them predictable. They are still effective on the PP because of the extra room to maneuver but 5 on 5, they are not nearly as effective. If they can only be effective with one or two players after all the combinations tried, who is the real performer...Burrows or the twins?

So ticked about this snow...had to bus to work, meaning when I get out of here at 5 it'll take me 1.5 hours to get home and I'll miss most of the bloody game! Bah, humbug, growl, screech, whine.

We will win. 5-2 book it.

Shoulda set the PVR this morning. Then you could go on full radio/internet silence (try it, it's nice) on the way home and fire up the game....with no commercials and boring intermissions!

Gotta revere the Hawks third line. 52 points combined between them. Richardson-Booth-Kassian: 30 pts.

in all fairness richardson was 4th line, booth was injured or benched and kassian was 4th line for half the year.

Saad and Shaw are having great years, can't believe they gave bickell 4mil for 4 years though

As much as they are still a big part of this team, I agree they have fallen off and that they are not the force they were a couple years ago. Hank has weathered better than Dan, who is certainly not worth his cap hit this year or last.

When you see opposing coaches recognize that the Sedins are less a danger than a line with a $600K/yr Santorelli on it, you know the twins have dropped off. Also Santo at +14 to Hanks +5 is a telling stat.

What I observe are two slow skating very talented players who's style has been scouted at length and every team now knows how to defend against. Their lack of speed and ability to beat players one-on-one makes them predictable. They are still effective on the PP because of the extra room to maneuver but 5 on 5, they are not nearly as effective. If they can only be effective with one or two players after all the combinations tried, who is the real performer...Burrows or the twins?

Their point totals don't support that they are only PP players at this point. Henrik has only 12 of his 32 points on the PP. Daniel's at 13. I wouldn't say the Sedins have struggled, but I will say they aren't being used effectively by pairing them with Hansen. The uniqueness of what the Sedins are together makes it hard to just put any player on their wing and expect magic. We've known that for years going back to Anson Carter. What Burrows has with the Twins is synergism.

Archived