The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Steam Winter Sale

Tanev's Smirk

I hate Steam. I have purchased maybe 30 games from them and have had to download them all at least twice each. Currently, I can only play about 3 of their games as I must download them all yet again and there have been compatibility issues as well as some just don't seem to work properly. I bought 3 Quake games and the last two didn't to want to run properly until i deleted the first one. Something about sharing files just messed them up. Frack DLC, give me a hard copy anytime.

I hate Steam. I have purchased maybe 30 games from them and have had to download them all at least twice each. Currently, I can only play about 3 of their games as I must download them all yet again and there have been compatibility issues as well as some just don't seem to work properly. I bought 3 Quake games and the last two didn't to want to run properly until i deleted the first one. Something about sharing files just messed them up. Frack DLC, give me a hard copy anytime.

I haven't had a lot of problems with Steam. You're screwing yourself over on some sweet deals here.

I recommend people also check out Green Man Gaming's winter sale. I got Virtua Tennis 4 for $4 and Bioshock Infinite for $8.

I think its time for an upgrade.

Steam has its flaws, but overall its a platform unmatched in gaming.

No, I haven't. Assuming you are correct does that not prove that Steam sucks? Do I really want to fill up my comp with $hite I may not go back to very often if ever?

A 1TB internal drive is like $40.

If you can't afford that you really can't afford to be gaming.

Haven't found a single thing I've wanted so far. Most of the stuff on sale, I've already bought. The top thing on my wishlist just went on a flash sale (The adventure game Memoria), but at 50% that hardly feels like much of a discount. Memoria has been out since August, so I expect better.

Also the other main thing I was looking at was the Bioshock infinte DLC Buried at Sea, and the DLC for that game remained at full price when the game was on sale.

So far I've bought nothing, and buying anything at all will depend on whether or not the sale becomes more inclusive of indie games and DLC over the next week and whatever. It will, though, if the past is any indication.

And just for argument's sake. Steam is very far from perfect, and telling someone they can't afford gaming in a thread extolling the virtues of cheap sales is hardly fair. Can a person not have an issue with a platform like this? To me it seems to beg for problems. Personally for me it's just the platform that all the games I buy get forced to lock into, so it's not like I'm really on it by choice, but it has its positives. It's a pretty awesome platform for picking up indie games nowadays. Also, as a platform for social interaction, it's pretty user friendly, as I use it to chat and whatnot all the time. It's system of player matchmaking and game hosting works better than anything else I've come across.

It's a hell of a lot better than alternative DRM options like Origin, but on the I'm going to continue to hate on digital distribution, and games locking to single users. I never use these sales to buy AAA games.

Nothing of my interest has shown up and the few I liked I already played. Odds are I will just end up not getting anything on sale and just get Day Z

People complain about how expensive PCs are, man. I'm adamant that you make that money back in no time with Steam sales.

Nah. Not unless you are determined to buy every game. Most of the sales are on games that have been around for a while and are facing price drops anyway. Plus most people don't seem to go on shopping sprees most just see 1 or 2 games they have interest in. You would have to save a few hundred before you could say it balanced out the price difference between console and PC.

With that being said I do like Steam sales.

I've been a member of the Steam community for 9 years; and simply put - those problems sound like old, outdated hardware more than Steam Issues, Steam has come a very very long way, it's faster, and much more stable than it used to be; the store has some amazing sales and to counter your "hard copies" point; digital sales are much faster than hard copies, save money on packaging, shipping, etc.

Archived