The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Who Would be the Best Trade Partner for McDavid

Warhippy

So, there are more than few threads and a few posters saying we need to get McDavid. Hell everyone wants McDavid.

So I decided to start a discussion about who has the best shot to draft him and what it would take to actually get that 2015 1st round pick from that team. Now please bare with me, this is a discussion and I will be brutally rude to anyone who comes in with comments that do not add to the discussion. The spirit of debate is to have a rebuttal that is well thought out and containing a counter argument to what has been proposed.

Not just LOL, They hang up, They laugh etc. So please actually contribute. There's more than a few knowledgeable posters on here that can do that so let the discussion commence.

The top 3 teams in the east I think we can all agree with being genuine threats for the 1st overall are Buffalo, Islanders and Panthers. So I will start there in the East.

Buffalo. Buffalo is poised to gain even more picks this off season. They've yet 2 more first rounders multiple 2nd rounders as well. But they've also got issues all over the team as it stands. Huge contracts for underachieving players and a franchise goalie about to possibly walk in the Bi Polar Miller.

They've solid prospects but no real leadership, porous defense and no real grit after Ott. The best package for Buffalo's 1st overall would deal with all of the following. From us that is a package of A player like Hansen/Burrows and or Tanev Corrado or Stanton. Added later round picks of course.

http://www.capgeek.com/sabres

Now on to Florida.

Florida is where Vets go to die. They've picked in the top 10 basically every year in the last decade. nobody seems to want to play or cares to compete there. Tallon may actually be turning things around as evidenced by Floridas play as of late. But historically Florida has had solid stretches every season. Added with Florida and Columbus now in the east and brutal travel in their division it isn't getting easier.

Tallon is dangling items like Matthias, Goc, recently moved Versteeg would love to lose Jovo and possibly Campbells contract. But again have literally no defense of age, no goaltending after Thomas leaves as Markstrom is just not cutting it very well and with Tallon penny pinching on his prospects would need to give up picks in order to shed bad contracts.

Potential trade for their organizational needs would be Luongo (yes I know but they've a serious need and the cap is going up, as it stands Florida is in danger of not even making the floor next season and Lou has his 5 team list.) Edler, Tanev as D. Forwards of course would again most likely be Hansen, Burrows possibly with his stock on the rise a package of Santorelli +

http://www.capgeek.com/panthers

Now we move on to my dark horse favourite for the 1st overall pick. The Snow'ed in New York Islanders. Where do we even begin....Mismanaged, no defense shoddy goaltending and amazing prospects yet no direction desire or heart after Tavares.

I have been saying for a while since the Vanek/Moulson trade that Snow could be interested in deferring this years pick to the Isles instead of risking giving the next generational talent to the Sabres a divisional opponent. McDavid coupled with all of the picks the Sabres have would make the Isles a divisional whipping boy for the next decade +

The isles are in need of defense, goaltending, heart grit and goal scoring. This trade relies on Snow being Snow (which isn't a stretch) and would be a simple Edler + later pick for a prospect and 2015 first. edler with Hamonic would be the dream team on the Isles and give them a solid D pairing that they haven't had in quite some time.

Simply put the Isles are a team with amazing prospects but have an issue in that they need to win or start winning and competing soon before those great contracts they've signed players to start running out. At some point in time for all of the aforementioned teams, prospects need to be translated into winning and the Isles are the poster boy of this fact.

http://www.capgeek.com/islanders

Now we come to the West and this is where ti gets really tricky. Hard to say who is or isn't a threat in the west for the top pick but the three teams that shine are obviously anyone from Alberta and the Jets. everyone else is just to stacked to be considered a shot at the first voerall.

And since trading with Burke in Calgary is a fools mission, and trading anything to edmonton wouldn't fly either I will simply focus on the jets.

The jest are set defensively, they are set on goal they've grit heart and leadership by the truckload. What they don't have is scoring forwards or center depth which is where a trade for pick/prospects would work.

Something along the lines of Schroeder Shinkaruk and a 2nd for the 2015 first might not be a bad idea. But it is hard to say what they'd really want or ask for. It seems to me again that small speedy centers or centers in general and pure goal scoring are the only major organizational needs for this team. because to be totally honest they really shouldn't be this bad but cannot score goals to save their lives consistently.

http://www.capgeek.com/jets

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, again this is a pure hockey discussion, please don't be rude don't be insulting if someone says I think this team is the best team and this is why. Don't be a jerk and shut them down, just be open be honest let them know why it might not work and send a counter proposal.

This is the race for McDavid.

So tell me, tell us....who do you think has the best shot at McDavid and what would we have to give up for a single 1st round pick to get it.

And please, remember....this is a trade for a first round pick in 2015 as of today. Don't start offering half the team. Let us see some truly knowledgeable comments and ideas.

And go

I appreciate your attempt to discuss a very dicey issue. There are going to be 10 teams chasing the cup next year. The other 20 will be desperately trying to go 0-82. Its going to be funny to watch. Coaches putting their scoring centers in goal. Stay at home D will play the half boards on the PP .

However, we might want to be careful about laying ground rules as to how we might react to peoples replies. We cannot abuse the forum rules even if we disclose the intent beforehand.

As for the proposals, I think we may want to be even more stark with the reality of what we are up against.

Buffalo and the Panthers would never deal their 1st in 2015 away. We are talking damn near a Lindros package to pry it loose. So offering up Hansen and or Burrows with some picks is a non starter.

In order to get that pick -even pre lottery where they have no idea if they are even going to get Mc David - would cost the Canucks something like this..........

Bo Horvat , Chris Tanev, Cole Cassels, Hunter Shinkaruk plus our 1st in 2015 and 2016.

If it was post lottery, and it was the 1st overall pick, it would now cost us

Ryan Kesler, Horvat, Tanev, Lack, and our 1st in 2015.

I appreciate your attempt to discuss a very dicey issue. There are going to be 10 teams chasing the cup next year. The other 20 will be desperately trying to go 0-82. Its going to be funny to watch. Coaches putting their scoring centers in goal. Stay at home D will play the half boards on the PP .

However, we might want to be careful about laying ground rules as to how we might react to peoples replies. We cannot abuse the forum rules even if we disclose the intent beforehand.

As for the proposals, I think we may want to be even more stark with the reality of what we are up against.

Buffalo and the Panthers would never deal their 1st in 2015 away. We are talking damn near a Lindros package to pry it loose. So offering up Hansen and or Burrows with some picks is a non starter.

In order to get that pick -even pre lottery where they have no idea if they are even going to get Mc David - would cost the Canucks something like this..........

Bo Horvat , Chris Tanev, Cole Cassels, Hunter Shinkaruk plus our 1st in 2015 and 2016.

If it was post lottery, and it was the 1st overall pick, it would now cost us

Ryan Kesler, Horvat, Tanev, Lack, and our 1st in 2015.

Just trying to head off the inevitable trolling comments that add literally nothing to the discussion. It derails the entire thread and in 3 pages we end up talking about frigging Hodgson again.

I don't think it costs nearly that at all provided the players traded are under decent contract, Hansen, Burrows, edler, Hamhuis Tanev Stanton etc. Remember, this is just like a lottery all it's own. Next year the Isles Jets Panthers or Sabres could put it all together and go on an extended run.

And again...Snow is an idiot

Buffalo I think has the best chance. I say at next years trade deadline if Buffalo is in last place in the nhl This year and next year I would package taking a gamble that they will get 1st overall

Edler,Horvat,1st , Shinkaruk,2nd, Luongo for hoping and praying to god that its first overall

Just tank to 30th and increase the odds of getting the 1st overall. Also, Try to get 1st round picks for each of the Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis and Garrison. Preferably trade them to Edmonton, Calgary and whoever is weakest out East.

There is something called a lottery, it doesn't work that way. Ask the 2012 Blue Jackets how tanking got them the 1st overall pick

Oh ya wait, the Oilers got it....

We are to good to tank. Hence this idea.

Even if we manage to get the 1st overall pick from whoever is in last place that year, there is still a lottery. Whoever has that 1st overall pick only has a 25% chance of keeping it I believe. And since the Canucks are a successful organization, there's very little chance, if any, that we'd get him. And whoever does win the lottery is very unlikely to trade away McDavid. I'm guessing Florida gets him.

That's my take on it anyway.

LoL they hang up the phone! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Seriously though, the best way to look at this is from the reverse point of view - imagine you have the 1st over all pick and you fielding calls from other GMs about what it would take for that pick. So MG calls you up and says (hypothetically) "I want your pick, NTCs are no problem, I'll ask anyone to to leave if it means getting Mcdavid" - now you're looking at the Canucks line up and thinking well, I'm not giving it up unless I get an awesome package.

I think the starting would be somewhere along the lines of one of our top4 D, Kesler, a solid prosect like Horvat/Corrado + 1st, and even then, I'm thinking to myself, meh - that might not make us a contender, I'd rather have Mcdavid and build around him from the draft for another couple of years. So toss in another roster player like Hansen and another prospect and then I'd have to think about it.

LoL they hang up the phone! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Seriously though, the best way to look at this is from the reverse point of view - imagine you have the 1st over all pick and you fielding calls from other GMs about what it would take for that pick. So MG calls you up and says (hypothetically) "I want your pick, NTCs are no problem, I'll ask anyone to to leave if it means getting Mcdavid" - now you're looking at the Canucks line up and thinking well, I'm not giving it up unless I get an awesome package.

I think the starting would be somewhere along the lines of one of our top4 D, Kesler, a solid prosect like Horvat/Corrado + 1st, and even then, I'm thinking to myself, meh - that might not make us a contender, I'd rather have Mcdavid and build around him from the draft for another couple of years. So toss in another roster player like Hansen and another prospect and then I'd have to think about it.

Ok, you're missing the spirit of the post.

We are trading for next years 1st overall NOW. Not then. Now.

We aren't trading after the pick or the prize is given out in 2015 but today tomorrow kind of thing.

Ahhh, I was under the impression this was a draft day deal - if you're talking about just getting a 1st rounder before the draft order is set, then to me, I wouldn't even bother - it's too big of a gamble and teams would be asking for a huge over payment just for the CHANCE at going 1st.

Ahhh, I was under the impression this was a draft day deal - if you're talking about just getting a 1st rounder before the draft order is set, then to me, I wouldn't even bother - it's too big of a gamble and teams would be asking for a huge over payment just for the CHANCE at going 1st.

Hence the conversation. I threw in my suggested 6 teams east/west that I believe give us the best chance and why. That's the spirit of this discussion.

Ok, you're missing the spirit of the post.

We are trading for next years 1st overall NOW. Not then. Now.

We aren't trading after the pick or the prize is given out in 2015 but today tomorrow kind of thing.

the big problem is that we improve any team we trade with... and if they think they are in the running for 1st overall, and a chance at the next crosby, the asking price will be very high, and it will need to address organizational weaknesses.

what im trying to say is, how do you expect one of those teams to be last in the league if we help them fix their team for a pick? its like getting a lottery ticket whos prize is getting to enter another lottery. Gillis won't do it, plain and simple.

While having a "generational talent like McDavid would be a great thing, I don't think the Canucks have the depth to trade for him and survive as competitive team and if he suffered a career injury the team would be toast for a long, long time.

the big problem is that we improve any team we trade with... and if they think they are in the running for 1st overall, and a chance at the next crosby, the asking price will be very high, and it will need to address organizational weaknesses.

what im trying to say is, how do you expect one of those teams to be last in the league if we help them fix their team for a pick? its like getting a lottery ticket whos prize is getting to enter another lottery. Gillis won't do it, plain and simple.

OK.

Again, we are not looking for a tangent in a different direction just the following.

What team do you think has the best shot at a 2015th 1st overall pick

What do you think we would have to trade NOW to get 1 single 1st round pick

and finally why do you think that team will be the lottery winner.

Don't want to worry or care about any of the rest because by extension we could say Hodgson should have made the Sabres better yet....Kessel should have made the Leafs better yet chiarelli laughed with a 2nd overall pick.

Stick to the script

While having a "generational talent like McDavid would be a great thing, I don't think the Canucks have the depth to trade for him and survive as competitive team and if he suffered a career injury the team would be toast for a long, long time.

Did you really not read the whole post?

This is a hypothetical if we traded TODAY. Not during draft day 2015. We wouldn't be having to give up half the teams depth for a single draft pick, just a smart trade.

So who do you think gets the pick, why do you think they get it, what do we have to trade TODAY not July 1st 2015 to get it

Hypothetically, I would not trade for a pick that may or may not be the #1 over all in that year for the real concerns I stated.

So. You wouldn't try to trade for a better pick in a following year even IF it gave you a much better chance at a generational talent if you were Mike Gillis?

Kesler and Jensen to Detroit for a 2014 1st and Anthony mantha

vancouver 2014 1st and detroit 2014 1st + sedins for Hodgson and 2015 1st.

Luongo (retain 15% of salary) + 2014 2nd + Tanev For Bjausted + 2015 1st

With the Sedins, Luongo, Kesler, and Tanev all gone it'd be safe to say we wouldn't have to worry about trying to compete with teams to tank and we just would stink enough to be in the bottom 6. plus with all the 1st round picks we get if we weren't picking first it'd give us a ton of new prospects or could trade up in the draft.

these trades most likely all get declined but if they went through our prospect depth would be insane and i believe would give us the best shot at CMD

Archived