The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How different is this team from years past?

ebey11

2013-14

o8C7mjz.png

2012-13

p1Pe6qm.png

2011-12

RXHMPlO.png

2010-11

HY8yaWO.png

Statistically, we're virtually the same as the last couple years but some are pessimistic because of our lower place in the standings and tougher competition. Others are optimistic because of the shift in coaching style and tougher schedule.

Are we really any better or worse than the last two years? So far no, but Torts in the playoffs I think will have this team on another level not seen here before.

2013-14

o8C7mjz.png

2012-13

p1Pe6qm.png

2011-12

RXHMPlO.png

Statistically, we're virtually the same as the last couple years but some are pessimistic because of our lower place in the standings and tougher competition. Others are optimistic because of the shift in coaching style and tougher schedule.

Are we really any better or worse than the last two years? So far no, but Torts in the playoffs I think will have this team on another level not seen here before.

Referees behind this again?? :picard:

That was a MUCH tougher 50pts earned than in years previous..

Every team in the West is dangerous and can win on any given night....even the Oilers. Our PK is the best in the league and our PP has been doing better of late.

There seems to be a new hero on any given night, which reminds me a lot of the 2011 team. Tonight's game for example: Our 4th line centre and young defensive defenseman stepped up big. We are playing with KEY injuries to locker room leaders and have fought through it. Our new coach has also made this team more resilient and mentally tough when surrendering the first goal or 2

Not to mention we have blue-chip prospects doing very well in their respective leagues and could earn a call-up.

THIS TEAM IS WAYYY BETTER THAN THE LAST TWO YEARS' TEAMS

I was shocked to find out that we're on the same pace as the teams of the past few seasons. It just feels like those teams were so much more dominant than this one.

I think it is because we're not as offensive as we used to be. Our defense is still stellar so we are still winning. But we're not putting as many pucks into the net as we used to, so it doesn't feel like we're as good as we used to be.

I was watching highlights last night of the game vs the Kings in 2011 where we clinched the Presidents Trophy. Both Kesler and Daniel scored that night and I believe it was Kesler's 38th of the season and Daniel's 41st. I remember asking myself if any Canucks will ever put up those kinds of numbers again.

That 2011 team was just dominant from top to bottom. #1 PP, #1 PK, top point getter in the league, top goalie tandem in the league, top defensive fwd. in the league...there wasn't anything we did wrong.

Now our PK is #1 but our PP isn't anywhere close to that. We're not winning games by wide margins and the wins aren't as convincing so it feels like we're not as good a team.

Mind you, we got shut out in the biggest game of that 2011 season - game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals (sorry for the bad memories, I try not to bring that up!) - so what good did all that offense really do for us right? If we can get into the playoffs and have everyone contribute and get timely offense...who knows how we might do

This team can do work in the playoffs if it gets hot at the right time. We all seen what it can do when it does get hot but imagine a healthy Burrows and Edler back in the lineup + maybe a top 6 fwd deadline acquisition. Could win some rounds. I'd be happy with a 2nd round, 7 game series exit +.

I know we are in a tougher division, so logically we would be doing better to have the same points as previous years.

I like our team this year, but we have won a lot of games against teams we are supposed to beat, and lost a lot of games against teams that are 50/50. Winning against Chicago was a big boost, but the difference in the standing is due to our losses to other teams in the pacific. They are always moving ahead of us when we play them, so when we start to win some games consistently against the Pacific I will say undoubtedly that we are better than last year. I think we will do that too!

For now just same as last year.

I think this just shows that we've been a good team for 4 years now.

Even the past 2 seasons before 2010-2011 we were really starting to come into our own as the team we are now.

The night of the Luc Bourdon tribute was the start to some of the most exciting hockey this franchise has played. It's darn special; I feel so lucky to be a fan of this glorious team.

The first thing I notice is the change in the goals differential and the second thing I notice is the decrease in goal differentials is due to the decrease in goals scored for compared to 2011, 2012 seasons. Obviously we lost some offensive skill up front as well as on D, Hodgson and Samuelsson on forwards come to mind and Ehroff and Salo come on D...

Archived