The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats up with Schneider now?

Del Rio

I get that you are heartbroken that Luongo is here and Schneider isn't... If you are trying to make this a Luo vs Schneider thread Schneider still has a loooooooong ways to go.

This is about Schneider's play which has been bad. I don't get what part of BAD you don't understand when you just bring up Luo all the time

I'm not a Luo/Kass hater, I'm just not a Schneids/CoHo hater.

Maybe he is having going through a slump because of lack of motivation and disappointment that comes from being traded away from one of the best cities in the world to... New Jersey. I guess he is discouraged due to lack of playing time and uncertainty with his future. Poor guy, he's spent so much time playing as backup and when he finally thought he was getting the chance to be the number one guy, he gets traded to be a backup again.

New York >>> Vancouver

But the 2nd part could be true.

The trade didn't look very good at the time it was made. But with Schneider taking a step back, and Horvat playing so well, it's looking more like winning the trade is quite possible.

He got traded to the worst possible market for him. No doubt he thought he would be starting for the Canucks and gearing up for a long playoff run. Instead he gets traded to a team with no shot at the playoffs, and he is still a backup. I'd be pissed too. Wonder if the Kesler rumour is true and that's also a cause of his poor play.

Past 5 games. Please. You're going to say Schneider has a problem right now letting in 3+ goals in the past few games? Maybe he's in a bit of a funk or a slump. He's still a good goalie but he's probably either battling the flu that we don't know about, or a minor injury or as I said earlier, just in a cold slump where pucks aren't sticking to him and just going through him.

True, but you know if Luongo was in a funk like that, you and others on CDC would be calling for his head.

Schneider will be all right - the real question is: Will fans on this board be as quick to forgive Luongo for any mishaps?

People are so misinformed. I wish I could confront some of you guys in a verbal debate. I can only type for much before getting annoyed, but here is my take on this.

1. Every goalie goes through slumps, I won't dismiss that he isn't playing the greatest right now. Luongo has had his slumps. Quick has had his slumps. Lundqvist has had his slumps. It simply happens to goalies and players.

2. New Jersey was giving Schneider poor goal support and Brodeur was getting much more

• 20 games in Brodeur was 6-3-2
  • 20 games in Schneider was 1-5-3
  • Brodeur has received 31 goals for in 11 games
  • Schneider has received 10 goals in 9 games

Going a bit further, he's received 26 goals in 17 games for a 1.5 goals per game average.

Putting that in perspective, not even the worst offensive team in the league (Buffalo) averages that, as they get 1.68 goals per game.

3. Despite the myth Brodeur is playing better, he possess better numbers.

• Brodeur 2.38 GAA .902 S%
  • Schenider 2.20 GAA .910 S%

Say what you want but the Devils has mismanaged Schneider... He's outplayed Brodeur, but the team doesn't show up in-front of him. He's a upcoming free-agent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk and sign with a team like Philadelphia.

Look at yesterday... NJD mustered 12 shots while Chicago takes 37, and breezes through a 5-2 win.

Schneider:

GP 115 - W 59 - L 34 - OT 13 - Min. 6409 - GA 235 - SA 3138 - GAA - 2.20 - PCT .925 - SO 11

Luongo @ 27 years old:

GP 417 - W 162 - L 190 - OT 15 - Min. 23634 - GA 1037 - SA 3138 - GAA - 2.69 - PCT .917 - SO 32

This includes only one year in Vancouver, playing for lowly FLA for five years and lowly NYI for one.

It is safe to say that despite Luongo's 2.69 GAA and .917 PCT, which are really, technically slightly worse than Schneider's, that Luongo's 23,634 minutes played by the time he was 27 years old, made him the guy that carried his team.

Or explained another way, Schneider, now 27 years old, has played 27% the amount of games Luongo had played by the time he was at that age.

Schneider is 27 years old. He is not a 1G like many professed here. Sure he's good. But remember Luongo hitting his prime about three years ago. Schneider has about three or four years left of growth left and then the decline will start to start. Luongo on the other hand, has carried every team he's been on on his back and doesn't show that much of a slowing down curve. He is in the same league as the other greats that played the game. Of course, Vancouver fans are as blind as bats and could not recognize history in the making even if it played in their own rink.

Schneider got greedy, Schneider got traded, Schneider pays the price.

So Schneider isn't as good because he's played less than Luo. That makes no sense. When Luongo played in Florida he was the starter, Schneider was drafted by an organization that shortly after acquired a top goalie in Luongo and then got traded to a team with another ellite goalie, can't fault him for that.

I've gotta laugh just a little when I read some of the comments from the Ginger lovers, especially about him being upset about being a backup.

Brodeur 21GS - 11W - 8L - 2OT - 3SO

Schneider 17GS - 4W - 8L - 5OT - 2SO

Looks to me like CS has been given the opportunity to take the #1 position from MB, he just hasn't been able to prove he is ready.

If he's winning games he's playing more guaranteed.

Average GAA

Average SV%

He can't win games, and we all know what that means, if an elite goaltender can't steal you games regardless if your team is scoring or not then he is OBVIOUSLY not elite and should be traded for a bag of pucks ASAP!!

IMHO he's nowhere near a good as some of you think he is.

ok you guys clearly don't know Devils hockey then....They have been known to be the most defensive team in the NHL since the 90's!!! We may have better names on defense but Devils overall game is trap, defensive hockey. Brodeur a great goalie, but how the heck you think he has over 120 shutouts?

lol

You are clearly living in the past. They don't play close to the trap style anymore. Mainly cuz they don't have the right personnel to pull it off as effectively.

And no, Brodeur was a huge reason why Brodeur got shutouts. He's a great goalie regardless of the team in front of him. The coach and GM built the team around Brodeur, not the other way around.

The OP is basically trolling and knows nothing outside of the Canucks. There's nothing wrong Schneider, but Brodeur is no push over. He's also one of the best puck handling goalies ever so he contributes to offense.

Ok ok people, lets break it down

People are so misinformed. I wish I could confront some of you guys in a verbal debate. I can only type for much before getting annoyed, but here is my take on this.

1. Every goalie goes through slumps, I won't dismiss that he isn't playing the greatest right now. Luongo has had his slumps. Quick has had his slumps. Lundqvist has had his slumps. It simply happens to goalies and players.

2. New Jersey was giving Schneider poor goal support and Brodeur was getting much more

• 20 games in Brodeur was 6-3-2
  • 20 games in Schneider was 1-5-3
  • Brodeur has received 31 goals for in 11 games
  • Schneider has received 10 goals in 9 games

Going a bit further, he's received 26 goals in 17 games for a 1.5 goals per game average.

Putting that in perspective, not even the worst offensive team in the league (Buffalo) averages that, as they get 1.68 goals per game.

3. Despite the myth Brodeur is playing better, he possess better numbers.

• Brodeur 2.38 GAA .902 S%
  • Schenider 2.20 GAA .910 S%

Say what you want but the Devils has mismanaged Schneider... He's outplayed Brodeur, but the team doesn't show up in-front of him. He's a free-agent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk and sign with a team like Philadelphia.

Look at yesterday... NJD mustered 12 shots while Chicago takes 37, and breezes through a 5-2 win.

Wait a minute, your not allowed to go that in depth like that. And because your post makes too much sense none of the people bashing Cory's play as of late will even attempt to refute this post. They will completely ignore it only to go on saying he's terrible go without any true statical evidence

His team wins more with a 40 year old Marty between the pipes.

He has simply not been very good. He was sheltered by a team that was very good and played more defensive when he played compared to when Lui played.

Hah !

Correct me if i'm wrong but Cory has a better GAA than Luongo. Think about this now, Cory has only won 4 games and yet still has a better GAA average than Luongo.

Hah !

How the hell did you take me saying "he will be a great goalie" and turn it into a Luongo vs Schneider argument? Wtf?

Haha, my co-worker does that to me all the time, I just say something about a player and he sets up an argument, takes his side and draws a line in the sand. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm arguing about.

Archived