The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats up with Schneider now?

Del Rio

Goal support argument is BS.

Schneider has been average at best and the team in front of him has saved his GAA from being worse. They don't score much but he has an elite PK in front of him and a team that has the lowest average shots per game against in the entire NHL.

Though I don't consider myself that impressed with Luongo as much as I am disappointed in Cory.

But but but... a great goalie like Cory Schneider is supposed to win those 1-0 nothing games and shut out every night even with the lack of goal support, right? you know, now that he's paid like a starter he should play like one?

that's the logic mostly applied to Luongo when he wasn't winning games for us, in fact Luongo was supposed to help us win the cup even though we only scored 8 goals in 7 games... so why shouldn't this logic be applied to Schneider now?

Some of those mancrush-based arguments CDC can throw out there is so amusing

FYI, I still think Schneider is a good goalie and deserve to be a starter, but the slack some of our fans are giving him over Luongo is really unbearable

Despite the post by PK, I've watched quite a number of Devils' games and it's quite evident that Brodeur has been better.

Yeah, they score less when Schneider is in net, and sure looks like a ton of proof.

I'm not saying Schneider has been bad or anything, he has actually been really good. Brodeur has been better though. He's a big reason for why the Devils score more with him in net. He drives more of the rushes than people know.

2.20 GAA for Schneider 2.24 for Lu.....0.04% difference lol get outta here

.910 SV% for CS .920 for Lu

But Schnieds GAA was top 3 just few weeks ago.

Opps you missed it. 0.04% better with a losing record......Think about it....If you haven't got it yet, think about it harder...Better save % with a losing record....

but then you go and base that assumption all on luongo's 0.10 better Save % ???

Also 18 games? Really you make this thread after Cory's played 18 games.

Is Harding now a better goalie than Luongo? He should be canada's starter by your standards since he has a whopping .19% better. What about Price since his save percentage is .12% better?

All hail the great Luongo....Am i doing this right?

Don't get me wrong I like Luongo, a lot, he's a good goalie but I don't let my canucks bias blind who the best players around the league are. I can admit when other players are more valuable/better players than ones on the team I cheer for. It doesn't make me a less of a fan to admit Datsyuk is better that H.Sedin, Kronwall is better than Edler, and a large number of other goalies around the league are better than Luongo. You don't need to be the best in every position to win the stanley cup.

If your truly concerned about how things are going with cory and not just being a Luongo puck bunny (trying to pump luongo's tires).

Please read

Everything asked in your thread question asked "What's up with Schneider now?" is summed up perfectly.

People are so misinformed. I wish I could confront some of you guys in a verbal debate. I can only type for much before getting annoyed, but here is my take on this.

1. Every goalie goes through slumps, I won't dismiss that he isn't playing the greatest right now. Luongo has had his slumps. Quick has had his slumps. Lundqvist has had his slumps. It simply happens to goalies and players.

2. New Jersey was giving Schneider poor goal support and Brodeur was getting much more

• 20 games in Brodeur was 6-3-2
  • 20 games in Schneider was 1-5-3
  • Brodeur has received 31 goals for in 11 games
  • Schneider has received 10 goals in 9 games

Going a bit further, he's received 26 goals in 17 games for a 1.5 goals per game average.

Putting that in perspective, not even the worst offensive team in the league (Buffalo) averages that, as they get 1.68 goals per game.

3. Despite the myth Brodeur is playing better, he possess better numbers.

• Brodeur 2.38 GAA .902 S%
  • Schenider 2.20 GAA .910 S%

Say what you want but the Devils has mismanaged Schneider... He's outplayed Brodeur, but the team doesn't show up in-front of him. He's a upcoming free-agent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk and sign with a team like Philadelphia.

Look at yesterday... NJD mustered 12 shots while Chicago takes 37, and breezes through a 5-2 win.

Opps you missed it. 0.04% better with a losing record......Think about it....If you haven't got it yet, think about it harder...Better save % with a losing record....

Is Harding now a better goalie than Luongo? He should be canada's starter by your standards since he has a whopping .19% better. What about Price since his save percentage is .12% better?

Don't get me wrong I like Luongo, a lot, he's a good goalie but I don't let my canucks bias blind who the best players around the league are. I can admit when other players are more valuable/better players than ones on the team I cheer for. It doesn't make me a less of a fan to admit Datsyuk is better that H.Sedin, Kronwall is better than Edler, and a large number of other goalies around the league are better than Luongo. You don't need to be the best in every position to win the stanley cup.

If your truly concerned about how things are going with cory and not just being a Luongo puck bunny (trying to pump luongo's tires).

Please read

Everything asked in your thread question asked "What's up with Schneider now?" is summed up perfectly.

You keep trying to pump that guys post and I keep debunking it. But you dont wanna hear it so you just keep replying to posts that you think you can defeat.

Belligerence is saying the same thing over and over in spite of the fact its simply isnt true.

The Devils play a different game in front of Schneider. They take less chances and score less . You keep ignoring that fact and your rationale is what?

THEY JUST DONT SHOW UP DUDE.........

That is the rationale? A professional hockey team just doesnt show up for one goalie over and over , but shows up for the other?

Thats your story? And the reasoning is for what? Spite? They have CONSPIRED to screw Schneider over ? The team is out to GET Schneider? That is your logic?

No. The only reason it could be is they play differently when the goalies are out there. Its the only logical explanation. I think they count on marty to hold it down when they run and gun. That would explain the goal scoring difference.

Goal support argument is BS.

Schneider has been average at best and the team in front of him has saved his GAA from being worse. They don't score much but he has an elite PK in front of him and a team that has the lowest average shots per game against in the entire NHL.

Though I don't consider myself that impressed with Luongo as much as I am disappointed in Cory.

You are wasting your typing skills. They are being willfully beligerent.

They keep saying over and over the team is 'not showing up' when Schneider is in net. Once, twice, three times maybe. But 16 times? Thats statistically impossible.

So either the team is purposefully screwing Schneider over (and the team by not winning by the way) .....OR..................(drum roll please) ................

they ............play.........a............looser.............game...........in..........front............of............Brodeur............and............thus score more...............but give up more goals.......................

Its not just the most reasonable explanation . its the only one that makes common sense. I think Cory is a positional goalie anyways. He needs to play within a system. He is not a Quick or Luongo or Brodeur who are athletic goalies. They can make improbable saves but are not a consistent in a normal setting.

They should trade him to the Blues .

I'm not saying Schneider has been bad or anything, he has actually been really good. Brodeur has been better though. He's a big reason for why the Devils score more with him in net. He drives more of the rushes than people know.

If that were the case, then the Devils should pretty consistently be one of the better shooting teams in the league, right? Unless your argument is that Schneider makes the team he plays behind score less...which certainly wasn't a criticism of him during his time here.

05/06

NJD: 9.73% (20th)

Average: 10.09%

06/07

NJD: 8.75% (29th)

Average: 9.74%

07/08

NJD: 8.38% (25th)

Average: 9.38%

08/09

NJD: 8.82% (24th)

Average: 9.44%

09/10

NJD: 8.78% (22nd)

Average: 9.12%

10/11

NJD: 7.30% (30th)

Average: 8.99%

11/12

NJD: 9.59% (7th)

Average: 8.95%

12/13

NJD: 8.08% (26th)

Average: 9.15%

If that were the case, then the Devils should pretty consistently be one of the better shooting teams in the league, right? Unless your argument is that Schneider makes the team he plays behind score less...which certainly wasn't a criticism of him during his time here.

Schneider doesn't make the team he plays behind score less. I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying Brodeur's style helps offensively.

They play a style of hockey suited to the goalie who's been there for decades.

Even with Schneider's time in Vancouver, people would say the Canucks played a little differently in front of him than Luongo. Maybe the same thing can be said in Jersey.

Please read

You must not listen well in real life because you haven't read what I wrote clearly. As in the title says "now", being of late discussing Schneider's play. That guys post everyone is making love to makes sense but not really doesn't apply with the term "now."

The Devils not being able to score much is the big reason for Schneider not having many wins, fact. But as I have clearly said many times, I am talking about his last 5 games where he has given up 3 or more goals in all 5. This is his first real slump in his NHL career. The last 5 games don't have much to do with his team not scoring. Prior to this stretch, he was unreal and his stats showed it but the wins were still not coming because of the Devils barely scoring. Again as I said in the first post, I am not bashing him just discussing.

Remember in Elementary School we got grades for Listening and Speaking? I bet you got an A speaking but a C- in listening.

He hasn't been playing bad at all. His GAA proves it. 2.2 and he only has 4 wins? That's not his fault, that's the offense. I don't even care about his save % or whatever Lu's is.

It was like what happened in LA on the year they won the cup before they got Sutter as coach (I believe it was that year, maybe even the year prior as well). Quick had to get a shutout or 1 goal against to hope for a win. There was no offense so he had to be outstanding, which he was. Schneider isn't on that level of skill to do that and steal wins consistently (Quick hasn't even been as good as that since).

Funny looking back at draft day and hearing TSN say that the Devils hit a home run with the trade for Schneider.

Schneider is a great young goalie, but at the same time he's not a goalie that can carry a team on his back. With a 4-8-5 record, a 2.20 GAA and a .910 SV% it's obvious the Devils were more than a goalie away from being a contender again. And with Brodeur pretty much outplaying Schneider that means Schneids is still essentially a backup.

Time will tell whether the Devils make the playoffs this year and who plays for them if they do. At the end of the day, it's more likely that the Devils will get one season of Schneider as the clear cut starter before he decides to go to a contender while he's in his prime.

So was it really a homerun for the Devils? They have an aging core and not a whole lot of top prospects coming up. Not to mention the loss of their first round pick. Fans will complain that the Canucks should have gotten more, but when the dust settles we'll still have a very promising young center coming up through the system, while the Devils may end up with nothing more than a rental player.

What is going on with him now? He has been not very good for a while now and his numbers have fallen off the cliff. You think it is a slump or has he come back down to earth? Been pretty average and letting in some unlike Schneider goals.

Not hating on him, just discussing....hasn't had a poor stretch like this ever

.910 SV%

2.20GAA

4 wins

Even though the devils have been poor at times I believe his poor play can also be attributed to his head game. Surprised during the offseason, Schneids was under the impression Lou was going to be traded. Instead he goes to Jersey which has Martin Brodeuer on his supposed last seaosn. But as we have seen pro athletes who have had such longevity in the game have a hard time saying goodbye i.e Brett Favre. Schneider plays well the Devils lose. It is seemingly frustrating for him because as he has stated many times before he can be a starter on a team. Just a though.

New Jersey isn't as bad as people say. They've got some stars over there who are scoring at almost the same clip as the Canuck forwards are, and their defensive systems are actually very similar to Vancouver's.

Schneider is 4-8 on the season, Brodeur is 11-8-2 with 3 shutouts. The team isn't the problem, Schneider just simply isn't good enough. I know he's still got great potential, but thank your lucky stars MG traded Schneider and didn't keep him as a starter, because he's nowhere near ready to play 70 games in this league, especially behind a much weaker Canucks team and against much harder opposition than what he's facing in NJ.

This statement makes it sound like MG made a choice and went with Luongo when, in fact, nothing could be further from the truth. MG fumbled and bumbled his way through the entire process and luckily ended up with a solid prospect despite his best efforts.

You must not listen well in real life because you haven't read what I wrote clearly. As in the title says "now", being of late discussing Schneider's play. That guys post everyone is making love to makes sense but not really doesn't apply with the term "now."

The Devils not being able to score much is the big reason for Schneider not having many wins, fact. But as I have clearly said many times, I am talking about his last 5 games where he has given up 3 or more goals in all 5. This is his first real slump in his NHL career. The last 5 games don't have much to do with his team not scoring. Prior to this stretch, he was unreal and his stats showed it but the wins were still not coming because of the Devils barely scoring. Again as I said in the first post, I am not bashing him just discussing.

Remember in Elementary School we got grades for Listening and Speaking? I bet you got an A speaking but a C- in listening.

People are so misinformed. I wish I could confront some of you guys in a verbal debate. I can only type for much before getting annoyed, but here is my take on this.

1. Every goalie goes through slumps, I won't dismiss that he isn't playing the greatest right now. Luongo has had his slumps. Quick has had his slumps. Lundqvist has had his slumps. It simply happens to goalies and players.

2. New Jersey was giving Schneider poor goal support and Brodeur was getting much more

• 20 games in Brodeur was 6-3-2
  • 20 games in Schneider was 1-5-3
  • Brodeur has received 31 goals for in 11 games
  • Schneider has received 10 goals in 9 games

Going a bit further, he's received 26 goals in 17 games for a 1.5 goals per game average.

Putting that in perspective, not even the worst offensive team in the league (Buffalo) averages that, as they get 1.68 goals per game.

3. Despite the myth Brodeur is playing better, he possess better numbers.

• Brodeur 2.38 GAA .902 S%
  • Schenider 2.20 GAA .910 S%

Say what you want but the Devils has mismanaged Schneider... He's outplayed Brodeur, but the team doesn't show up in-front of him. He's a upcoming free-agent, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him walk and sign with a team like Philadelphia.

Look at yesterday... NJD mustered 12 shots while Chicago takes 37, and breezes through a 5-2 win.

This statement makes it sound like MG made a choice and went with Luongo when, in fact, nothing could be further from the truth. MG fumbled and bumbled his way through the entire process and luckily ended up with a solid prospect despite his best efforts.

Hey everyone, this guy knows what the GM is thinking! Ask him anything!

What is going on with him now? He has been not very good for a while now and his numbers have fallen off the cliff. You think it is a slump or has he come back down to earth? Been pretty average and letting in some unlike Schneider goals.

Not hating on him, just discussing....hasn't had a poor stretch like this ever

.910 SV%

2.20GAA

4 wins

Those numbers are actually very good... And considering the team he's on thats great

Schneider was putting up ridiculous stats without getting wins because the team in front of him was so terrible. Brodeur has been no better, but the team put it together when Schneider was injured so he's been getting the starts due to the situation more than anything.

Now he's just going through a slump...like virtually every player in the league will do at parts of a season.

Archived