The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rangers not willing to trade 3 players, rest are available

According to Bruce Garrioch. it is being rumored that GM Glen Sather is willing to move anyone not named Chris Kreider, Rick Nash, or Henrik Lundqvist:

Apparently, the Rangers are willing to talk about anybody on their roster with the exception of Rick Nash, Henrik Lundqvist and Chris Kreider. Missing the playoffs after firing coach John Tortorella would be downright embarrassing.

Sather won’t sit back and, after the holidays, there are a few players who could get new destinations.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/12/21/new-york-rangers-gm-glen-sather-getting-desperate-to-make-a-deal-or-three

Del Zotto has been rumored to be traded for a while now, and it wouldn't surprise me. I still don't get why Canuck fans want Del Zotto. He is decent on the power play, and average to terrible at everything else. A defense man, who always makes errors, isn't physical, doesn't have much speed, and can sometimes put up points when he is on the power play. I doubt he's more valuable than Stanton and/or Tanev. I hear people saying that Torts may want him back. Right..the same Torts, that benched him. AV's starting to bench him too. The Rangers will have to trade him eventually, until teams realize he isn't as good as advertised.

Would still want Callahan at deadline, think he'd be perfect. Here's a guy, Torts played a lot.

Edler and Hansen for Del Zotto and Callahan?

I could see is happen, pretty fair in terms of value and cap hits.

Point totals:

Del Zotto Edler

Interesting how their point totals almost mirror each other in terms of decline.

Callahan Hansen

That said Edler is a far superior all around defenseman. Callahan is a step up from Hansen but probably not as much. I think I would make this deal if we were losing games but right now we are on the right track.

The players are very similar (offensive dmen, gritty top 6 forwards) but I think the swap may work better for both teams.

The Canucks have Hamhuis, Tanev, Bieksa, Garrison as a solid two-way top 4 but we lack a good puck mover on the powerplay. This is one area Del Zotto thrives in, and as long as he plays simple defensively, skates well and makes smart passes he would probably be fine playing 16-17 minutes per night on the bottom pair and move up to the top 4 with injuries.

Edler and Hansen for Del Zotto and Callahan?

I could see is happen, pretty fair in terms of value and cap hits.

Point totals:

Del Zotto Edler

Interesting how their point totals almost mirror each other in terms of decline.

Callahan Hansen

That said Edler is a far superior all around defenseman. Callahan is a step up from Hansen but probably not as much. I think I would make this deal if we were losing games but right now we are on the right track.

Makes no sense. Del Zotto sucks. Keep Edler and Hansen. Rangers will figure out what they wanna do with Callahan, and if they decide to trade him, the Canucks are better off just paying for the rental at the deadline, with conditions that he re-signs.

If the Canucks really wanted to trade Edler. They should just wait until off season. People still undervalue him. He's worth a lot more around the league. I don't want him traded, and I doubt the Canucks trade him, but he's still valued at a top pair defense man. Wouldn't have to look hard to get a lot of value out of him. Del Zotto and a rental Callahan isn't enough.

no thanks, just another 3rd liner

if we could acquire him for a pick/prospect

sedin-sedin-burrows

higgins-kesler-hansen

booth-santorelli-kassian

pouliot-richardson-weise

now that is good depth, our bottom 2 lines could act as 3a and 3b depending on who is playing better.

They have a lot of rentals. I think Stepan, McDonagh, and Girardi are who I'd like. I'd add Callahan too but he's injured with ufa status.

Well, lets not go overboard here. Buffalo said the same thing, along with some other teams earlier this season. Just because they are available doesn't mean they will go all out fire sale.

Girardi is also a UFA a the end of the year, but he's struggling big time. The Canuck's don't need D, but if they do decide to trade one of the top 4, Girardi might be cheap, and Torts may have something to say about it since Torts loves Girardi.

Archived