The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rangers not willing to trade 3 players, rest are available

Not what I meant.

I was exaggerating his role somewhat yes, but that's the type of player he is. I take a sniper/playmaker in my top 6 over a grinder any day of the week.

I know that. There's other players that would be better for us than Callahan. I have watched enough Canadiens-Ranger games to know that Callahan's a 2nd line grinder. Just was defending Callahan a bit.

Edler and Hansen for Del Zotto and Callahan?

I could see is happen, pretty fair in terms of value and cap hits.

Point totals:

Del Zotto Edler

Interesting how their point totals almost mirror each other in terms of decline.

Callahan Hansen

That said Edler is a far superior all around defenseman. Callahan is a step up from Hansen but probably not as much. I think I would make this deal if we were losing games but right now we are on the right track.

The players are very similar (offensive dmen, gritty top 6 forwards) but I think the swap may work better for both teams.

The Canucks have Hamhuis, Tanev, Bieksa, Garrison as a solid two-way top 4 but we lack a good puck mover on the powerplay. This is one area Del Zotto thrives in, and as long as he plays simple defensively, skates well and makes smart passes he would probably be fine playing 16-17 minutes per night on the bottom pair and move up to the top 4 with injuries.

other than

1. Callahan is a UFA at the end of the year

2. Del Zotto is "ok on the pp" and is useless otherwise

3. Edler is signed for 5 years at a decent cap hit and simply having a tough year

4. Hansen is also signed for a few years at a decent cap hit

ya other than that its a good trade lol...wow

Brassard, Stepan or Callahan should be the big namers Gillis is contacting Slats about. They've all had success under Torts and Sully and would shore up the Canucks offensive game completely. Booth/Burrows - Brassard - Kassian would be a very strong 3rd line.

On a smaller scale, Brian Boyle is a cheap-ish UFA-to-be who might look good on the 4th/3rd lines here, big-bodied & good at faceoffs, although not 'tenacious', still throws around the body. Had decent success under Torts previous to last year.

Not sure exactly what the Rags would want from the Canucks though, aside from Edler..

I meant it as any one of those three. And I beg to differ about defensemen. When playoffs come around, you can never have too many defensemen that can play top 4 minutes, especially when injuries arise. Teams like LA have 6 guys that can all play top 4 when called upon.

It's nice, but injuries happen. Teams just can't simply afford to have that much cap tied up on the D, when there's pretty significant problems scoring.

Would Edler and Schroeder for Callahan, Dylan Mcilrath, a conditional 1st be fair?

Nah, Mcilrath and a 1st isn't enough for Edler, I don't think Callahan will take a discount to re-sign in Vancouver.

Any trade with NY regarding Edler should have Stepan in the package. IMO

Nah, Mcilrath and a 1st isn't enough for Edler, I don't think Callahan will take a discount to re-sign in Vancouver.

Any trade with NY regarding Edler should have Stepan in the package. IMO

I would love to get Stepan, but the Rangers would be stupid to trade him. Cally's played for Torts before and I think that would give us an advantage over most teams interested in him. He also knows Torts' system very well.

I would love to get Stepan, but the Rangers would be stupid to trade him. Cally's played for Torts before and I think that would give us an advantage over most teams interested in him. He also knows Torts' system very well.

Well if the rumour is true, Stepan is not one of those 3 players :D either way if were trading with NY Stepan has to be the main target. He has a higher upside than Callahan (I think) 5 years younger and is an RFA.

Burrows and Edler tbh would be main pieces the Rags would want from us since they were great under AV and not doing half as well under Torts...Callahan would be a good piece but his UFA standing and I just don't see him wating to resign in Van so having said that Girardi makes our blueline stronger while Stepan or Richards at 50% make our top6 stronger

NYR: Burrows, Edler, conditional 1st(depending on if Richards comes over is a 3rd if Stepan a 1st)

Van: Girardi, Stepan/Richards at 50%

Sedin-Sedin-Kesler/Hansen/Kassian/Stepan

Richards/Higgins-Kesler/Richards/Stepan-Kesler/Stepan/Kassian/Hansen

Higgins/Booth-Santo-Kassian/Hansen

Booth/Sestito-Richardson-Weise

Hamhuis-Tanev

Garrison-Girardi

Stanton-Bieksa

One 30 goal, 50 point season.

The rest pretty modest 20 goal, 40 point campaigns.

Even an idiot can see that's not what the Canucks need right now, he's a more physical Chris Higgins.

A more physical Higgins? Well call me an idiot cuz it sounds like that would make him one of our best players and a SOLID pick up.

Archived