The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rangers not willing to trade 3 players, rest are available

No idea why people are hating on Del Zotto. He's shown that he can generate offence both on the PP and at even strength. He's not shut down D in his own zone but neither are guys like Markov, Streit and Ehrhoff.

Whoever said Torts benches Del Zotto is only half right. The year after putting up career numbers, Torts sent him to the AHL to improve his defensively game. When he did, Torts consistently used him in his top 4.

Also the "he's OK on the PP" isn't really accurate. This is a guy who has 117 career pts with 53 of them on the power play. Close to half of that was during his first year. In 2 of the last 3 years his pp production has been comparable to 1st unit pp guys like Duncan Keith and Letang.

Letang:

11-12 - 15 PPP (5rd ranked pp)

12-13 - 13 PPP (3rd ranked pp)

Keith:

11-12 - 13 PPP (26th ranked pp)

12-13 - 10 PPP (19th ranked pp)

Del Zotto:

11-12 - 14 PPP (23rd ranked pp)

12-13 - 8 ppp (23rd ranked pp)

How does Del Zotto stack up PP wise to say Edler? Edler in all the years he's scored more than 22 pts, he's had more than 15 of his points come on the PP in each year,which is a bit under half his points coming from the PP.

08-09 37 pts, 21 ppp (8th ranked pp)

09-10 42 pts, 19 ppp (6th ranked pp)

10-11 33 pts, 17 ppp (1st ranked pp)

11-12 49 pts, 22 ppp (4th ranked pp)

Del zotto's best year PP wise was in 09-10 where he had 22 ppp on the 13th ranked pp that year, matching Edler best of 22 ppp on a 4th ranked pp.

Del zotto best offensive year was the same as Edler. 2011-12 41(14ppp) to Edlers 49(22).

If we're looking at offensive and pp quarterback ability, I would make an argument that Del Zotto is better than Edler in all regards.

Defensively and physically, Edler, when at his best, is the better rear guard.

Del Zotto hasn't had a great year but not a lot of Rangers have. Prior to this year, he's been able to produce from the back end.

Del Zotto would be a pretty savvy pick up for our back end. The arguments been made that Edler was his best when Ehrhoff was on the team and carrying the load offensively. Maybe MDT can shoulder the load offensively BUT if we don't move Edler, where would he fit into our top 6 D is the question.

How far have Callahan type players like Higgins, Burrows, and Hansen taken the Canucks in the playoffs the past few years?

The Canucks need a Vanek.

Exactly too many grinder with just modest offensive capabilities. If we want to be a cup contender we need a legitimate top 6 scorer like Vanek or Moulson. These are dynamic game breaking players (Especially Vanek) who can change the course of a game by themselves. We saw the way that Kesler single-handedly got us through the nashville round in 2011. These two guys have the capabilities to do that if they are on their games'. Ryan Callahan does not.

The nice thing about a trade with NYR is that Torts knows those players REALLY well. He seems to really understand player's strengths and weaknesses and how to use them. It takes some of the risk out of the trade. You have to believe that Gillis would be very interested in Torts opinion on ranger players. Perhaps there's someone on that roster that is a little more under-rated that Torts would want to put in a good word for.

Interesting point, and I agree with it. Especially in the situation that he decides to go for another winger with the Twins, I think Torts would have a better perspective of how well Callahan (or any of the other available wingers) would work with them and throughout the team, given that he would know what role each guy played during his time in the Big Apple. I mean, it's not as if his systems would have changed very much from NY to here, plus he'd have a good idea about each guy's strengths/ weaknesses well enough to tell whether the combo would likely work.

Exactly too many grinder with just modest offensive capabilities. If we want to be a cup contender we need a legitimate top 6 scorer like Vanek or Moulson. These are dynamic game breaking players (Especially Vanek) who can change the course of a game by themselves. We saw the way that Kesler single-handedly got us through the nashville round in 2011. These two guys have the capabilities to do that if they are on their games'. Ryan Callahan does not.

What people fail to realize is the following:

1. New coach, new system: change and adjustment takes time - The team needs to stay true to the course

2. We don't need a Top-6 sniper at this point in time, especially when the cost to acquire such an asset will be sky high

3. Relying on getting a Top-6 sniper is counter productive to what Tortorella is trying to do, and goes against what Gillis is modeling the organization after; building from within and adding complimentary pieces along the way.

4. A Top-6 sniper is too easily shutdown, in fact it makes more sense in pro sports to distribute offense through all lines much like in economics it's wise to diversify your investment strategy.

Getting a player like Stepan or Callahan while not 40 or 50 goal scorers, will net an easy 20-30 each. If you distribute your offensive load while maintaining defensive reliability, ie a 2-way player, any line at any time of the game becomes a threat; that is worth it's weight in gold vs having one player to be a "game breaker" who, unless they're over the hill or overrated to begin with are nigh on impossible to attain via trade while in their prime, ditto for UFA (massive over payment).

It's great that teams have players like Kane, Toews, Doughty, Kopitar, etc. These players were drafted and developed. Players like Seguin, Thornton, Ericcson were traded for like caliber players; we don't have assets of that caliber that we can afford to give up.

The best thing for the long term health of this club is for Gillis and Co to stay the course. It's boring and annoying but we're playing fairly decently and will only get better the more the players become comfortable with the system.

Edler and Hansen for Del Zotto and Callahan?

I could see is happen, pretty fair in terms of value and cap hits.

Point totals:

Del Zotto Edler

Interesting how their point totals almost mirror each other in terms of decline.

Callahan Hansen

That said Edler is a far superior all around defenseman. Callahan is a step up from Hansen but probably not as much. I think I would make this deal if we were losing games but right now we are on the right track.

The players are very similar (offensive dmen, gritty top 6 forwards) but I think the swap may work better for both teams.

The Canucks have Hamhuis, Tanev, Bieksa, Garrison as a solid two-way top 4 but we lack a good puck mover on the powerplay. This is one area Del Zotto thrives in, and as long as he plays simple defensively, skates well and makes smart passes he would probably be fine playing 16-17 minutes per night on the bottom pair and move up to the top 4 with injuries.

Lol, why do people post when they don't anything about what they are talking about. I mean, what motivates these people?

Edler and all around defenceman don't belong in the same sentence together.

This whole thread in general gives me headaches.

The only Ranger I would target is Derrick Brassard.

Decent producer (18 pts in 37gp) and did good last year for the small amount of games with Torts.

Wouldn't cost a whole lot either in comparison to a Callahan or Stepan.

Season: 13gp 5g/6a/11pts

Playoffs: 12gp 2g/10a/12pts

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Brassard - Kesler

Booth - Santorelli - Hansen

Weise - Richardson - Kassian

Lol, why do people post when they don't anything about what they are talking about. I mean, what motivates these people?

Edler and all around defenceman don't belong in the same sentence together.

At times, Edler is an all around defensemen. He can shoot the puck, he takes it up ice, he can play physical defense and this season he is playing pretty solid everywhere.

Everybody is offering Edler and a whole bunch of players with NTCs... Like jeez Gillis said he won't ask anybody to waive it so why make up the ideas!!

This whole thread in general gives me headaches.

The only Ranger I would target is Derrick Brassard.

Decent producer (18 pts in 37gp) and did good last year for the small amount of games with Torts.

Wouldn't cost a whole lot either in comparison to a Callahan or Stepan.

Season: 13gp 5g/6a/11pts

Playoffs: 12gp 2g/10a/12pts

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Brassard - Kesler

Booth - Santorelli - Hansen

Weise - Richardson - Kassian

I can see the Rangers keeping Stepan and Brassard as their 1st and second line centers and building around them.

Hansen (they absolutely need help at RW) for Brassard (they also get cap relief) is a simple deal that helps both teams?

Look, at the end of the day the Rag's do not have a puck moving D (sorry Del Zotto is NOT it) or the elusive sniping big winger we need for the Twins (if Kreider is off the market, and he is who I want). A trade with them is going to take some creative thinking as to how we build our team.

Our best chance with them is to boost our center depth sooner than waiting for Gaunce or Horvat.

Well, lets not go overboard here. Buffalo said the same thing, along with some other teams earlier this season. Just because they are available doesn't mean they will go all out fire sale.

Girardi is also a UFA a the end of the year, but he's struggling big time. The Canuck's don't need D, but if they do decide to trade one of the top 4, Girardi might be cheap, and Torts may have something to say about it since Torts loves Girardi.

The Canucks have a great D, minus anyone with serious speed and puck handling skills. If we were to break up our D, the only reason should be to add this missing skillset.

NONE of the Rangers D are that guy, even their good ones, so why get involved a swap for D? Especially UFA's... So no D from NY.

My idea of entertaining the silly? Get Torts and Richards to kiss and make out like they did in Tampa > Edler for Richards... I'm sure I've heard someone on CDC suggesting getting a passing forward to play with Kesler? Or we can be deeper at center than even Pittsburgh or SJ.

One 30 goal, 50 point season.

The rest pretty modest 20 goal, 40 point campaigns.

Even an idiot can see that's not what the Canucks need right now, he's a more physical Chris Higgins.

Thats a problem? :blink:

Really, the only issue with Callahan for us is he is a rental. Unless Torts has some rapport where there is a belief he will re sign here??? I'm not into rentals ATM. I see us needing a solid hockey trade to put us into contender status before we look for finishing touches. The secondary issue is they are dreadfully weak at RW. So Callahan would also be an expensive rental before they let him go..

Nah, Mcilrath and a 1st isn't enough for Edler, I don't think Callahan will take a discount to re-sign in Vancouver.

Any trade with NY regarding Edler should have Stepan in the package. IMO

I proposed Jensen and Higgins for Kreider while he was in the AHL at the start of the year. I'm not sure I was roasted, but it was not embraced.

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/352770-value-of-discussion-chris-kreider/

One response suggested Sauve and a 5th was all he was worth. Now he's untouchable; go figure?

But I agree Stepan is a great target. Stepan would probably be more than everything we hope Gaunce becomes, perhaps even Horvat? (Yes I know, CDC expectations for Horvat are pretty high right now!). To the point; what would it really take??? Stepan was their leading scorer with 44 points in 48 games LY), is on a good contract which expires RFA. it ain't going to be cheap.

I think it would take Edler plus Gaunce... Add Dalpe cuz we'd have to cut him anyway to fit the body. I would do it! They get a guy whom AV knows how to get to captain a PP and a potential Stepan replacement in Gaunce, some play making in Dalpe.

Man we would be solid up the middle! Hank / Kess / Stepan Incidentally, he's also a right handed shot. Another option to rotate and play with the Twins. If he was on track for 30 goals last year, what could he do with 2 world class play makers???

We pick up Taylor Pyatt as a cap dump if we need to, to make the salaries work...

Archived