The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rangers not willing to trade 3 players, rest are available

Actually I can tell you exactly what type of player he is. A grinder.

I watch him every time the Leafs play the Rags, which is quite a lot more than you watch him I'd be willing to bet.

He's perfect at what he does, I have no intention of discrediting that, but it's pretty obvious he's no goal scorer.

He's not a sniper but he can put the puck in the net and chips in enough to be recognized. Tbh, not taking a shot at you Caboose, but I think you're underrating Callahan. He's averaged 0.5+ points per game in his nhl career and actually has a good offensive touch. He is well rounded, excellent in that aspect, and plays almost the same game Dustin Brown does. Brown had 1 30 goal season and rest are in the 20's, same as Cally. Funny thing is Kings were so close to trading him and we were in the mix but they ended up keeping him and what do you know won the Cup and Cally can do the exact same thing Brown did and lead a team to the Cup.

Callahan is very similar to Brown and like Dustin, Cally is a top 6 forward who plays a great all around game and can score often. He's the type of player Cup winners have and contenders dream to have and Cally is a top player in my books. Saying he's simply a grinder doesn't do any justice to his style of play but he can score and don't undervalue that. Yea Brown averages 10 or so more points than Cally each year but take into consideration he plays alongside Kopitar, an offensive machine. Cally doesn't really play with a player like that so his 40-50 points he gets and the elements he brings to the table is very good. With that, if he came here, I'm certain a line of Higgy-Kes/Santorelli-Callahan would up his offensive production to that of Browns and he'd actually excel more here offensively than what he is currently at in NY.

He's not a sniper but he can put the puck in the net and chips in enough to be recognized. Tbh, not taking a shot at you Caboose, but I think you're underrating Callahan. He's averaged 0.5+ points per game in his nhl career and actually has a good offensive touch. He is well rounded, excellent in that aspect, and plays almost the same game Dustin Brown does. Brown had 1 30 goal season and rest are in the 20's, same as Cally. Funny thing is Kings were so close to trading him and we were in the mix but they ended up keeping him and what do you know won the Cup and Cally can do the exact same thing Brown did and lead a team to the Cup.

Callahan is very similar to Brown and like Dustin, Cally is a top 6 forward who plays a great all around game and can score often. He's the type of player Cup winners have and contenders dream to have and Cally is a top player in my books. Saying he's simply a grinder doesn't do any justice to his style of play but he can score and don't undervalue that. Yea Brown averages 10 or so more points than Cally each year but take into consideration he plays alongside Kopitar, an offensive machine. Cally doesn't really play with a player like that so his 40-50 points he gets and the elements he brings to the table is very good. With that, if he came here, I'm certain a line of Higgy-Kes/Santorelli-Callahan would up his offensive production to that of Browns and he'd actually excel more here offensively than what he is currently at in NY.

I really like this post for a couple of reasons

-Callahan would add a lot of grit to our top 6 and I agree that he has an offensive touch - look at his las two seasons- that touch is developing.

- I remember hearing shanahan talk about how come the redwings in the 90's were so hard to play against, and he said, their top 3 lines all had a player who could hit you hard and score. We have kesler and kassian is developing, Callahamn would be a nice addtion.

- finally -the comparison to Dustin Brown - leadership, grit, two way play and offence... good comparison, and Dustin is a plyer that 29 other teams would die to get

- I recall reading that after the cup run, there were some rumours that the kings never really inteded to trade brown, what they were doing was to get him to amp his game up, they felt that as the captain, they wanted to see if he would respond, as they felt he had been underwhelming for a couple years.

I'm looking to 2015.

Edler (if he agrees to move) for Dylan McIlrath, a 2nd round pick in 2014, and first rounder in 2015.

Take our 2 first rounders in 2015, and a 2nd round pick and get Connor McDavid.

Younger, bigger, more skilled. All the ingredients for winning.

From Hockeysfuture:

Talent Analysis

McIlrath is a nasty, in your face NHL defenseman, who won’t back down and can clear the crease for his netminder. Not afraid to fight or just intimidate, McIlrath has a good shot and his puck distribution has been improving, but he needs to improve his skating and defensive positioning.

Caboose is right, you know. Callahan is far more valuable to the Rangers than he is to the open market, let alone the Canucks. He is a top-6 forward, sure. But he is really a more productive and physical Higgins at a higher price tag who will be just a rental player. Would rather have some pure offensive talent injected into the line-up for that price.

What people fail to realize is the following:

1. New coach, new system: change and adjustment takes time - The team needs to stay true to the course

2. We don't need a Top-6 sniper at this point in time, especially when the cost to acquire such an asset will be sky high

3. Relying on getting a Top-6 sniper is counter productive to what Tortorella is trying to do, and goes against what Gillis is modeling the organization after; building from within and adding complimentary pieces along the way.

4. A Top-6 sniper is too easily shutdown, in fact it makes more sense in pro sports to distribute offense through all lines much like in economics it's wise to diversify your investment strategy.

Getting a player like Stepan or Callahan while not 40 or 50 goal scorers, will net an easy 20-30 each. If you distribute your offensive load while maintaining defensive reliability, ie a 2-way player, any line at any time of the game becomes a threat; that is worth it's weight in gold vs having one player to be a "game breaker" who, unless they're over the hill or overrated to begin with are nigh on impossible to attain via trade while in their prime, ditto for UFA (massive over payment).

It's great that teams have players like Kane, Toews, Doughty, Kopitar, etc. These players were drafted and developed. Players like Seguin, Thornton, Ericcson were traded for like caliber players; we don't have assets of that caliber that we can afford to give up.

The best thing for the long term health of this club is for Gillis and Co to stay the course. It's boring and annoying but we're playing fairly decently and will only get better the more the players become comfortable with the system.

We do have an asset of that caliber to give up and his name is Alex Edler.... plus both Vanek and Moulson are rentals so they won't cost nearly as much as those players you mentioned.

We do have an asset of that caliber to give up and his name is Alex Edler.... plus both Vanek and Moulson are rentals so they won't cost nearly as much as those players you mentioned.

In what universe would you EVER advocate MG to give up Edler for a rental?

If Edler is to be traded, it will be for a young star entering their prime who the team will still have at minimum, RFA negotiating rights for, or preferably signed to a good term/cap hit.

To be honest, I'm done with "rentals", I'd prefer MG take the time to complete his due diligence and find players who can not only contribute, but will be with this team for a long period of time, it's just smart asset management.

That being said, I'd like to see a deal around the following:

VAN

D. Brassard

M. Del Zotto

M. Zuccarello

NYR

A. Edler

J. Hansen

Edler and Hansen are both under contract, Edler for 5 and Hansen for 4 more years beyond this season, this gain's cost certainty and a known variable for AV to work with.

Vancouver adds skill into the line up in more positions, and retains some asset certainty as all three are expiring RFA's at the end of this season, with the cap going up, re-signing them won't be an issue.

Potential lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Santorelli

Booth - Brassard - Kassian

Zuccarello - Richardson - Weise

Dalpe

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Bieksa

Stanton - Del Zotto

Weber

Alberts

Luongo

Lack

I"m looking at NY over all and as stated before I wonder what Torts would have done with this team during their last run. Looking at NY present day compared to last season's team they look flat and lifeless, showing flashes. Reminds me of last years Canucks.

Maybe there is something to be said about Torts knowing his old players but there's also knowing enough to stay away from certain players.

More importantly as mentioned above by another poster this team needs to stay the course .

In what universe would you EVER advocate MG to give up Edler for a rental?

If Edler is to be traded, it will be for a young star entering their prime who the team will still have at minimum, RFA negotiating rights for, or preferably signed to a good term/cap hit.

To be honest, I'm done with "rentals", I'd prefer MG take the time to complete his due diligence and find players who can not only contribute, but will be with this team for a long period of time, it's just smart asset management.

That being said, I'd like to see a deal around the following:

VAN

D. Brassard

M. Del Zotto

M. Zuccarello

NYR

A. Edler

J. Hansen

Edler and Hansen are both under contract, Edler for 5 and Hansen for 4 more years beyond this season, this gain's cost certainty and a known variable for AV to work with.

Vancouver adds skill into the line up in more positions, and retains some asset certainty as all three are expiring RFA's at the end of this season, with the cap going up, re-signing them won't be an issue.

Potential lineup:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Higgins - Kesler - Santorelli

Booth - Brassard - Kassian

Zuccarello - Richardson - Weise

Dalpe

Hamhuis - Tanev

Garrison - Bieksa

Stanton - Del Zotto

Weber

Alberts

Luongo

Lack

Sign me up. Then for next year?

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Higgins - Brassard - Kesler

Booth/Zuccarello - Horvat - Burrows

Richardson - Santorelli - Weise

Hamhuis - Tanev

Del Zotto - Garrison

Stanton - Bieksa

Luongo

Lack

Looks good.

I would do Burrows for Callahan straight up. Torts will get him to sign here I'm sure and he won't cost to much more than Burrows price wise. He's a leader and something this team needs for the playoffs. Burr is clutch too, but I think we need to mix it up a little and add in a player Torts is very familiar with.

Archived