The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why was Luongo run out of Florida?

zverta

So I started watching hockey religiously back in 2007. I'm a true fan of the sport and the Canucks will always be my home team.

It was a big deal apparently when the Bertuzzi/Luongo trade went down and I'd just like an opinion or two to break down the numbers for me.

What reason did Florida have in unloading a #1 goaltender in favour of a power forward? Am I missing something here or did they have a similar young goaltender like Markstrom in their system at the time?

If everyone remembers. Trade was:

Todd Bertuzzi, Alex Auld, Bryan Allen - Roberto Longo, Lukas Krajicek, sixth round pick (Sergei Shirokov)

roberto_luongo_panthers_100507.jpg

Pretty sure he requested a trade becuase he wanted to play with a contending team but I may be wrong. Also Florida couldn't afford him.

He never requested a trade. As I mentioned above, he signed the same contract FLA offered him with us.

4 years $27 million

They couldn't afford Luongo but could take on Bertuzzi, Auld, and Allen's contracts? That can't be enough reason for Florida to ship out a franchise goaltender.

Bertuzzi was signed. Keep in mind Mike Keenan was the guy in charge. The OP is lucky not to have experienced the havoc Keenan caused when he was in Vancouver. It was so bad the team could have easily had to move. I suspect Luongo's price to stay with a bad team under terrible management would have been through the roof.

They could afford it but Keenan was the guy there at the time. Keenan was the GM there at the time and didn't like Luongo. Reports were that he called out Luongo on the team plane for not signing his contract yet and wanting to negotiate. Keenan has said it had to do with what Luongo and Lupien wanted financially but given what Luongo signed for they easily could have signed him.

There was clearly a problem between these guys. No shock because these problems seem to happen wherever Keenan goes.

Hey OP, this happened back in '06 and you bring this up now?

After you get to the bottom of this, can you please start a thread about the Bertuzzi/Linden deal. We need answers to that trade as well. TIA.

Lawl. He's probably just curious about it. What's the harm in asking?

Hey OP, this happened back in '06 and you bring this up now?

After you get to the bottom of this, can you please start a thread about the Bertuzzi/Linden deal. We need answers to that trade as well. TIA.

You dont have to be a douche; he was just wondering. Sure he could have just asked through a "status update," but nonetheless there's no harm in this.

Money earned in Florida:

$8.532mil

Money to be earned in Vancouver:

$84.286mil

Money earned in Florida:

$8.532mil

Money to be earned in Vancouver:

$84.286mil

This is true but also not accurate. Luongo spent 5 seasons under contract with the Panthers. His first 2 were still part of his 1st contract which was under 3 mil. Then the contract he signed with the Panthers was just over 3. He also hasn't made 84 mil here yet. I know you said to be earned but overall he's made about 50 mil here. That 50 mil is much more heavily taxed. He could have signed much smaller contracts there and made the same money because iirc Florida doesn't have state income tax.

He's made his money here without a doubt but he's also spent the prime of his career here. Money isn't really the issue.

Little talked about subplot involved dan cloutier being a bit of a handful for Canucks management and it really coming to a head. Management was actively looking for a replacement for him and when they realized Luongo was available they pulled the trigger.

Archived