The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Dane Fox

cs2016

Article from his draft year: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/nhl-draft-tracker-dane-fox-erie-otters-153722562.html

Put up close to a point per game on the third line during his draft year. Hits, fights, kills penalties, and can obviously score. Was a projected 2nd/3rd round pick, surprised he was never selected.

Sounds like another small superstar. Hopefully he's the next St. Louis.

He's 6 feet tall, that's not exactly small. He tested well at the combine so if he can bulk up I don't see where the problem is. It sounds to me like his off ice issues were the only thing scaring people off, but from all accounts he has matured both on and off the ice.

From an Otters fan on HfBoards - "He's a very gritty player. Physical, hard-hitting, plays well in the corner. An absolute monster in the slot, it's where a lot of his goals are scored. He is a very good two-way player, excellent on the backcheck, good on the faceoffs. He's big drawback is his skating. It's average at best. He can possibly be a great player someday if he improves his skating."

If we're gonna sign an undrafted overager, I'd rather it be one who's leading the OHL in scoring than someone like Kellan Tochkin.

This will give us good depth on the farm next year with him and Gaunce already having chemistry together. It's early but I like what I've seen from Gaunce and Fox. They seem to set each other up quite a bit. And if they can manage to win a memorial cup together, that's even better.

People were praising the Leafs for getting Connor Brown in the 6th round. Well this guy is just as good and we didn't use any pick on him. We'll have to wait and see what he can do at the next level though. Good low risk signing either way.

That's a sick name...and he's not even that much of an over-ager.....he just had his 20th birthday in October..

Good signing by Gillis, and maybe it's setting up for something bigger??? We now have BOTH of McDavid's linemates in our system

Gaunce doesn't play on the same line as McDavid.

As has been said this is more to do with him having played in London with Horvat and Erie with Gaunce for the Canucks to have gotten a look at him. With Hamill having gone to the KHL, they have some room with contract spots to pick up a player or two and still have room to take an extra contract if there's a trade.

Undrafted overager's don't often pan out in the NHL, and it sounds like he has to work on his skating at least, but it'll be interesting to watch him this year in the OHL and next year in the pros.

CanucksArmy ‏@CanucksArmy

Also, chance that Dane Fox has a notable impact in the NHL ever: 0.01%.

That LRT isn't exactly right. Fox is good minor league depth. Just don't get excited about his OHL numbers.

They exaggerate on his chances, but it's probably better to underrate him at this point and hope he exceeds expectations.

Archived