The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Dane Fox

cs2016

Well look at how many centers LA had when they won.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kesler

Fox - Gaunce - Burrows

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

If that's our line up next year and those kids are ready for the show, we're golden.

4 rookies, not happening on this team any time soon... I doubt any of them make it next year.. The cap is going up and the 3 eligible will get tonnes of ice time in Utica

4 rookies, not happening on this team any time soon... I doubt any of them make it next year.. The cap is going up and the 3 eligible will get tonnes of ice time in Utica

Just throwing ideas out there. Horvat will most likely be ready next year and if the other three are I'm just showing the type of depth we'd have.

The worlds most renown search engine could help you guys out. Not going to bother looking up the kids history. There's a reason he went undrafted and unsigned for so long. No one wants to put up with his crap. But who knows, he could have reigned it all in.

So you say Fox has 'antics' but say you're too lazy to post the facts? If there are any...Sounds like you're just pulling stuff out of your rear end. Chris Tanev went undrafted, but does that mean he has attitude problems? What about Eddie Lack?

I'm seeing a future Steve 'Stumpy' Thomas ;)

Time for a rant:

When one goes through pains, struggles and hardships in life, they learn from the flaws and mistakes and translate them into good qulaities that make you a better person, and it helps give them a better perspective on the general ala important things in life you should be worried about (i.e. the things you love and your loved ones), then all of a sudden, the smaller things come to you naturally and you lead a happier life. The raw talent is there in Fox, there's no doubt about it, but better yet, he's been able to use his troubles off the ice to build character, and all of a sudden, he's a top point scorer in the CHL (not giving two sh**s about age). The guy knows that he can now just focus on hockey.

When I was in grade 11, I decided that it was always my goal to go to university and live on residence for my first year. Things took a bit of a bad turn and I got into some girlfriend issues and had some family trouble, and all of a sudden I found myself smoking weed every day and lost almost all my ambition. I realized in about March in my grad year that I couldn't depend on others to make me happy. It comes from within and you have to use your own brain; we have them for a reason. I was at the point where I had been reaching adulthood and that I had to worry about the people I loved and surrounded myself with the people that made me happy, and I had become a better person and had soething to look forward to. To cut to the chase, I applied to my dream school in April and put in an effort to up my grades, and through going by a philosophy where I did what made me happy and did things to shape myself the best for the future at the same time, I was accepted into my dream school by turning things around in just a matter of a few months. Things were amazing again!

Now in Fox's case, make no false assumptions, he had to work HARD to get to where he is now. He may be 2nd in OHL point scoring, but he will still have doubters whom keep a close eye on him. I've learned that as a young adult, you can't depend on other people entirely to help you succeed in the real world. YOU are YOU. As a person, YOU get to a point where you realize it's time to lock down and sack up. This Canucks roster has thousands and thousands of homegrown doubters, but the players know it's up to themselves and not the fanbase ((CDC logic: It's our fanbase that's the reason why we didn'twin the cup in 2011)) to succeed. We have our core guys who have played together for around 7 years now, and they want to win more than ever. We also have a coach who thinks the right way and knows how you have to play to win when you are given a certan talent. Luongo has learned from a multitude of things, for example, the goaltending controversy and media pressure. However, he has used the hardships he has gone through to learn what the important values are that he should start focusing on, and the rest began to take care of itself. What ifs are much worse than regrets. It's like when Christopher Walken in Wedding Crahers said: "We have no way of knowing what lays ahead for us in the future. All we can do is use the information at hand to make the best decision possible." This team in 2011 has seen what happens when things hit rock bottom, just as thing were looking for Fox, but it took strong character to get themeselves back on track and start focusing on the things they love in life. This is one reason I am more optomistic about this particular season than any other. These guys have seen it. Gillis knows the importance in character. Gillis has been drafting players like Horvat and Shinkaruk, for example, that know they need to play a certain way to win and their passion shows. Now, we bring in a guy like Fox who has the talent just as well, but again, had the character and the balls to get through all his troubles and is all of a sudden making a vast difference for the Otters.

Character makes a significant impact in proffesional sports, and especially in the NHL where you play 82 games and need to go through two months of war to win a cup, yup, character you need. This team is building an identity, and a dam better one than a lot of you dweebs tend to believe. Anyone who says this team is mentally fragile and doesn't care, go sit on a cactus. You know nothing. Gillis and co. have done an amazing job analyzing this team and givin cap doodoo and being a veteran team, they have a plan to help this team now and in the future. This is a business where you have to look towards being successful for now and in the future. No exceptions.

When you know the talent is there, but you have the character and the commitmnet to go along with it, you can do anything. Especially in this sport in this league. Yes, that means being able to get through the powerhouses in the west and that final hurdle, being the Stanley Cup finals.

Cheers. Congrats Fox, keep working hard and maybe we'll see a hero come to life :)

420 blaze it

Just throwing ideas out there. Horvat will most likely be ready next year and if the other three are I'm just showing the type of depth we'd have.

So you say Fox has 'antics' but say you're too lazy to post the facts? If there are any...Sounds like you're just pulling stuff out of your rear end. Chris Tanev went undrafted, but does that mean he has attitude problems? What about Eddie Lack?

I'm at an airport terminal and browsing via mobile. If you'd like in 8 hours I can find these facts you require. Think about it. He's the OHL's leading scorer and nobody wanted him until we came along. He's not your run of the mill troublemaker.

I'm at an airport terminal and browsing via mobile. If you'd like in 8 hours I can find these facts you require. Think about it. He's the OHL's leading scorer and nobody wanted him until we came along. He's not your run of the mill troublemaker.

There's been a media tweet or two (I think TSN) saying that lots of teams were interested in Fox and the Canucks really fast tracked his signing. Also, the only mentions of him ever having an issues was when he was in London and they promptly shipped him out. Since then there have not been any type of reports, player or club discipline toward Fox. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt regarding any off ice issues he used to have.

*not TSN was tweeted from a Flyers beat writer

@billmeltzer

Canucks signed OHL overager Dane Fox today. Acted fast b/c several other NHL teams were reportedly interested, too.

I think we have to give the kid the benefit of the doubt regarding the off-ice issues. I can't speak for everyone, but I made some real dumb decisions as a teenager that I sure as hell wouldn't now. There's a good chance he'll grow out of it if he hasn't already. He'll have Gaunce with him in the AHL, which should help if Gaunce is the type of leader people say he is.

On the ice, I'm real happy with this signing. He obviously has some potential, but I'm most hopeful about him helping Gaunce develop in the AHL. The familiarity should help build Gaunce's confidence while he adapts to the pro game.

I think Fox has the potential next year to be like Andrew Shaw, of Chicago

Pretty much this. If he comes close to the player Shaw is, easy to say MG and the Nucks got a steal of a player for free. Plus take into consideration he has more offensive potential and skill than Shaw did at this point in his career, he looks like a pesky scoring forward type.

“I try to play like Steve Ott or David Bolland, especially Bolland because he can play different roles as either a shutdown player or top-line scorer, accepting whatever role he’s called upon to play,” he told the Chatham-Kent Sports Network.

MG GM out GMs the other GMs this time! ...not to get your hopes up, but yea, that's just the type of player he is and I'm open to that anyday :)

Well look at how many centers LA had when they won.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Kesler

Fox - Gaunce - Burrows

Higgins - Santorelli - Hansen

If that's our line up next year and those kids are ready for the show, we're golden.

Shinkaruk is not ready. He is loosing the rest of the year and you think he is going to come back and make the team? Not how its gonna happen. Shinkaruk and fox will be in utica horvat will be our 3rd line center. Sedin sedin insert top 6 fowardHiggins kesler satoburrows horvat hansenArrchibald richardson kassianSomething like that

Building a team is quite different than fine-tuning one. You just slap the paint on with a broad brush. MG & LG are working quickly to build a respectable AHL entry; it's enjoyable to see their speedy progress. Like an old barn that badly needed a fresh coat.

The top team's progress was more detailed & intricate, demanding a fine tip with an eye to detail. Usually one needs retrospect to appreciate the work involved. Within a yr or two, I believe they'll have BOTH these teams/bldg-philosophies working to perfection. There's gonna' be harmony/synergy like this fanbase has never witnessed.

These two blokes are patient, thorough, open-minded, determined & positive. The ownership will provide them with all the resources they need. Love the direction our franchise seems headed.

Could be a top6 in 3-4years range

Future

Shrinkaruk horvat kassian

Schroeder cassels fox

Jensen gaunce archibald

Welsh dalpe hansen

No way all of these players pan out or even be on the same team. Some will be traded, some will be waived and some probably won't be signed at all. O

Pretty much this. If he comes close to the player Shaw is, easy to say MG and the Nucks got a steal of a player for free. Plus take into consideration he has more offensive potential and skill than Shaw did at this point in his career, he looks like a pesky scoring forward type.

So like a Marchand type player skill wise but with a lot less rat-like features/playing style?

Archived