The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dane Fox | LW/C

Go Go Canucks Go

So Fox got sent down to the K-Wings today... this is a real head-scratcher for me. I would've thought they'd at least give him a game or two to see how he fares against AHL competition. Maybe his skating isn't the best but the Comets don't exactly look like an offensive juggernaut this year, couldn't have hurt to see if he could make an impact there.

That is actually really confusing.

I can see us just severing ties with him in the future at this rate. We don't really have the scoring threats as you pointed out on the baby nucks to be shifting him to a lower league. His production also increased quite dramatically last year as the season went on.

Strange, but yes I can in fact see us letting him go in the future if they won't keep him up on the Comets. Doesn't really bode well for sure.

I thought for sure he'd make Utica. Maybe they want the offense to run through him in Kamalooza

It's too bad, but Burrows bounced around in the ECHL for a few years before he made the Moose. I still think this guy could be a good NHL fourth liner. He needs to do like a lot of guys before him, and become a face puncher - like Tanner Glass. He has some skill, but needs to provide something else.

He's only played one year of pro hockey. His skating has improved; let him continue to develop and see how he does.

This.

I'm guessing it's the same people that were panicking about Subban being sent down. They need more development. It's not the end of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Fox had two goals today in a 6-4 win. 4-2-6 in his last three games since being demoted from Utica.

Really don't see how he wasn't given more than a one-game look with the Comets.

Glad to see Fox doing well with the K-Wings. Spending a year in the ECHL for an undrafted overage is fine, but I am sure it was disappointing for all concerned that he was able to stick with the Comets this year.

Not having seen any K-Wings games it is hard to know what his game looks like but I am guessing his skating has not improved enough for the Canucks to pay much attention to him. A guy who is 22 and still in the ECHL is not likely to make it to the NHL, but it does happen. Fox will get another shot with the Comets later in the season (if Shinkaruk or Gaunce gets called up to the Canucks or if the injury bug hits Utica) and I hope he sticks.

the K-Wings got blown away 7-3 tonight but Fox did extend his point streak to five games with an assist, 4-4-8 in that span.

He's currently tied with none other than the great Alex Mallet for the team scoring lead. :lol:

if Fox wants to make the NHL he has to become a Tanner Glass player - fourth line, energy, chip in a goal, face puncher, who can play a bit.  He either gets greasy, and takes some face punches, or he stays in the Zoo.

Fox does have the grit to play that role, but its more a matter of if he can develop the speed. He won't be much use as a 4th line energy guy if he's too slow to get in hard on the forecheck. I still think he'd be better off working on his game in the AHL though, he's shown that he can easily play at the ECHL level.

Extended his point streak to six games tonight with another goal and assist, 10 points overall in the streak and up to a ppg pace on the season (5-6-11 in 11).

Archived