The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dane Fox | LW/C

Go Go Canucks Go

On November 10, 2015 at 11:34:19 PM, Alflives said:

if Fox wants to make the NHL he has to become a Tanner Glass player - fourth line, energy, chip in a goal, face puncher, who can play a bit.  He either gets greasy, and takes some face punches, or he stays in the Zoo.

he can do better than tanner...

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=117689

I'm curious if Fox's skating remains as much of an issue as it used to be? I know he planned to focus on his skating this past summer and try to become more explosive and improve his first two or three strides. But I haven't seen him play this season so I can't say whether or not he was successful. Any Utica fans have info?

Personally, I think the Canucks should hire someone like Barb Underhill (or a similar former figure skater turned coach who's known to work with players on their skating) to spend a couple weeks with Fox and try to "rebuild" him from the ground up, in terms of his technique. The results, with similar players in the past, have been nothing short of amazing.

Again, I can't say that I know where Fox is today with his skating. Maybe he's already vastly improved and doesn't have much more to gain. But when I saw him in the past, he was pretty much a "slug" of a skater with very choppy, inefficient mechanics and seemed like a guy that could use some one-on-one sessions with a top skating coach.

I'm not sure exactly what he focused on this summer but from the quotes I read, it sounded more like he was going to work on training and improving physically more so than technically. And I certainly haven't heard anything suggesting he's spend significant time with a skating-specific coach, so there may very well be a lot of room left for improvement.

And I think his skating, more than anything else, has been the limiting factor in his career to-date. So maybe it's time for the Canucks to spend a few bucks on a skating coach for Fox? He certainly has some tools (most notably his shot), but he'll never stick in Utica, never mind the NHL, if his skating remains an issue (again, not really sure it still is or isn't, as I haven't seen him play this season).

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2015, 8:34:19, Alflives said:

if Fox wants to make the NHL he has to become a Tanner Glass player - fourth line, energy, chip in a goal, face puncher, who can play a bit.  He either gets greasy, and takes some face punches, or he stays in the Zoo.

Not interested in another Tanner Glass on the team... In fact if his 64 goals were his one hit wonder, just keep him in the ECHL.

2 hours ago, bohonos76 said:

Not interested in another Tanner Glass on the team... In fact if his 64 goals were his one hit wonder, just keep him in the ECHL.

Not sure I would describe Fox's overage season as a one-hit wonder. There are lots of guys who score a lot in their overage year in Junior but never make it to the NHL. In fact, that is pretty much the rule. Being a  year older makes a big difference at that age and the guys who do not drafted and play as overagers often have good skills at the junior level but lack a key element that is necessary to make it in the NHL (like skating ability).

Guys can improve. Certainly Horvat's skating, which was always decent, improved a lot last year when he was 19. But Fox did not appear to have an NHL skating stride in pre-season this year (just before turning 22 in October). Significant improvement is rare at that age. 

So I am not optimistic about Fox. He is still getting paid close to a million year for playing hockey, so it makes sense for him to play. But after his ELC is over he will be looking at making peanuts in the minor leagues and might give up. Also, he is not a natural for the European leagues where the larger ice surfaces makes skating more important than in North America.

I wish the best but I do not see him in the Canucks' future.

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

... He is still getting paid close to a million year for playing hockey, so it makes sense for him to play. But after his ELC is over he will be looking at making peanuts in the minor leagues and might give up. Also, he is not a natural for the European leagues where the larger ice surfaces makes skating more important than in North America.

I wish the best but I do not see him in the Canucks' future.

I'm not sure what he makes in the ECHL, but his AHL salary on his 2-way contract is $70K.  https://hockeyscap.com/players/dane_fox

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this in CanucksArmy's Kzoo report:

Fox was the fastest Kzoo skater over the weekend. I also noticed Fox’s slick stick handling (mostly evident Saturday night). With his increased speed Fox was easily weaving in and out of Elmira players.

http://canucksarmy.com/2015/12/8/a-kzoo-look-december-5th

Pretty encouraging stuff. Certainly sounds like Fox's dedication to improving his skating is really starting to pay dividends.

4 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Maybe it's how it takes for an ordinary prospect to develop 4 years in the EC + AHL

Could be, but the drafted kids get to the front of the line, for first dibs. Guessing lots of these set-aside 'kids' just give up, frustrated with this meandering path.

In the end, if he fulfills that jr's sniper-potential, it could be miraculously found, shiny gold coins.

Archived