Sign in to follow this  
Go Go Canucks Go

Dane Fox | LW/C

1 minute ago, tyhee said:

Well, if we want to guess, it is just as possible the Canucks don't sign him this summer when his contract expires.  Signed at 20, now 22 with over a season and a half as a pro spent entirely in the ECHL except for one game in Utica, there's plenty of reason to wonder if he's in the Canucks' future plans.

The Comets got shorthanded both on forward and defence and signed several ECHL players to professional tryout contracts rather than promote Fox.

I haven't seen him play with the Wings and am only speculating based on the where the Canucks have assigned him. 

he was a very good prospect and was thought to be equal to many first rounders in his draft year but he had some off ice issues that was in the media which made a lot of nhl scouts pass on him because of this.  I think this has followed him through out.

20 minutes ago, tyhee said:

Well, if we want to guess, it is just as possible the Canucks don't sign him this summer when his contract expires.  Signed at 20, now 22 with over a season and a half as a pro spent entirely in the ECHL except for one game in Utica, there's plenty of reason for doubt about whether he's in the Canucks' future plans.

The Comets got shorthanded both on forward and defence this season and rather than promote Fox they left him in Kalamazoo and signed several ECHL players to professional tryout contracts.

I haven't seen him play with the Wings and am only speculating based on the where the Canucks have assigned him. 

Fox and Blomstrand are both buried in the ECHL and both will be RFAs at the end of this season.  I don't see either being qualified which will free up two contracts moving forward.

41 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

he was a very good prospect and was thought to be equal to many first rounders in his draft year but he had some off ice issues that was in the media which made a lot of nhl scouts pass on him because of this.  I think this has followed him through out.

That's maybe overstating things. If I remember correctly, Central Scouting had him in the 40s or 50s among North American skaters. But for his off-ice issues, he probably would've been an early 3rd round pick in 2012.

But still was a pretty good prospect and that release of his remains a very impressive weapon. Good grit and intangibles too. His skating was big concern early on but he seems to have overcome those issues (now considered one of the fastest K-wings).

It might be true though that he still carries something of a stigma and hasn't been given as many chances as his drafted peers have.

• Upvote 1

The guy is putting his time in. I think he gets a deal, we havn't heard of any complaining. He might have said, I'd rather be down in the ECHL playing 16 mins a night, then getting 8 mins once every 3 games in the AHL. I would choose the ECHL and actually playing vs sitting a whole bunch.

He is putting up better numbers in the ECHL than burrows did..... just sayin. Fingers crossed he is given a shot in utica.

• Confused 1

can someone remind me of his off ice issues (whether or not they had any truth to them)?

my understanding has been that although he can fill the net it was his skating that was going to hold him back.

if his skating has been addressed adequately I wonder what's continuing to hold him back?

Any time a guy can lead his team in points and in penalty minutes i think he has a skill set that can move him up to the next level in some kind of role. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, tyhee said:

Well, if we want to guess, it is just as possible the Canucks don't sign him this summer when his contract expires.  Signed at 20, now 22 with over a season and a half as a pro spent entirely in the ECHL except for one game in Utica, there's plenty of reason for doubt about whether he's in the Canucks' future plans.

The Comets got shorthanded both on forward and defence this season and rather than promote Fox they left him in Kalamazoo and signed several ECHL players to professional tryout contracts.

I haven't seen him play either so your guess is as good as mine. He certainly wasn't ready to make the Comets this season.

I read somewhere that he has improved his skating and his PPG has improved from about 0.5 to around 1 so there has been progress. I like his gritty play and hope he develops enough to make the Comets next year.

Saw him on my tinder once (not sure how he got there, maybe he swiped right on me?). Tinder leads to premarital sex, premarital sex leads to eternal damnation. Ifso facto, it's not gonna work for Dane.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

Saw him on my tinder once (not sure how he got there, maybe he swiped right on me?). Tinder leads to premarital sex, premarital sex leads to eternal damnation. Ifso facto, it's not gonna work for Dane.

I expect this comment comes with a B)?

1 hour ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

But trophy hunting is ok? WTH?

6 hours ago, desiboynux4lifee******* said:

he won't get a chance. Not meaty enough for Benning guys. Too bad Fox have fun in Europe.

As always we listen to and hang in your gems of wisdom and foresight Desi.

Why I can't even imagine where this team would be without Bo Sang or [insert prospects name here]

:bigblush:

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2

On 1/31/2016 at 10:07 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

That's maybe overstating things. If I remember correctly, Central Scouting had him in the 40s or 50s among North American skaters. But for his off-ice issues, he probably would've been an early 3rd round pick in 2012.

But still was a pretty good prospect and that release of his remains a very impressive weapon. Good grit and intangibles too. His skating was big concern early on but he seems to have overcome those issues (now considered one of the fastest K-wings).

It might be true though that he still carries something of a stigma and hasn't been given as many chances as his drafted peers have.

I have the same read. He probably would have been one of those third rounders who never make it to the NHL (which is true of the majority of third rounders).

I think there was some surprise when Gillis signed him as an undrafted overager. He was certainly viewed as a longshot to make the NHL (as is true of undrafted overagers), mainly because he was not a good enough skater. Also, although he plays with a bit of an edge he is not really a physical player and he is not strong defensively. So he does not have the characteristics to make it as a bottom 6 winger in the NHL and is a long way from having the skills needed for a top 6 winger in the NHL.

(I admit that I have not seen him play in Kalamazoo and am basing these comments on scouting reports, stats, seeing him play a bit in Canuck pre-season/training camp situations, and seeing a few highlights.)

• Upvote 1

At this stage it looks like the only way he'll get to the NHL is the Biega route, i.e. proving it beyond a shadow of a doubt every step of the way and finally getting a serious look.  But it does seem that management views Fox as a character problem, in contrast to Biega.  So I'm not sure he's going to get a chance in this organization. If we was, I think he'd already be in Utica with the numbers he's putting up.  Hope I'm wrong about this because that release is something else.  I guess we find out this summer.

• Upvote 3

Canucks are very foolish not to have Fox on Utica right now.  Bring him up and give him 20 games. He more potential than half the forwards we currently have in Utica. 

I hope Fox gets a contract renewal with the Canucks. He deserves to be in the AHL. He may be a late bloomer, but he'll get signed by another team if we don't re-sign him. I don't think the Canucks will re-sign Blomstrand, but I think Fox deserves a shot. I mean, if they're willing to give a contract to Mackenze Stewart, then this guy deserves one too... also Valk deserves a contracct.

I can see Fox and Valk in the AHL next season. Hopefully they're in Utica and not in some other team.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Quantum said:

I hope Fox gets a contract renewal with the Canucks. He deserves to be in the AHL. He may be a late bloomer, but he'll get signed by another team if we don't re-sign him. I don't think the Canucks will re-sign Blomstrand, but I think Fox deserves a shot. I mean, if they're willing to give a contract to Mackenze Stewart, then this guy deserves one too... also Valk deserves a contracct.

I can see Fox and Valk in the AHL next season. Hopefully they're in Utica and not in some other team.

Yes, and optimistically there will be a place for them in Utica if Shink, Gaunce and Grenier make the jump to the big club.  But there's also some chance of Virtanen and McCann going down, so who knows?