The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dane Fox | LW/C

Go Go Canucks Go

Glad to see Fox have a big game for the K-wings. Read that he had 10 shots (of the team's 31) to go with his 4 goals, which is just a massive stat line, at any level.

Must be tough for him to watch the Comets fill their open roster spots with other ECHL players on PTOs (albeit veteran ECHL "stars" with multiple seasons of success at that level), rather than them reaching down within their own system to tap guys like Fox for a call up.

Have to wonder if Fox's big night was a bit of a response to Utica yet again signing other ECHL players, instead of giving their own properties a chance to show their stuff at the next level?

1 hour ago, Winter Soldier said:

Fox was an overager free agent we signed. He was never highly touted by anyone.

I remember when fans were very high on him. scored 64 goals in the OHL, no? he's a free addition to the club at no loss. so win win in my books. if he turns out. great. maybe he's one of those guys who just blossoms later. he's still young I suppose. 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I remember when fans were very high on him. scored 64 goals in the OHL, no? he's a free addition to the club at no loss. so win win in my books. if he turns out. great. maybe he's one of those guys who just blossoms later. he's still young I suppose. 

Playing on a team with McDavid

9 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I use to work in Elmira New York. 

I went to countless Jackal games. 

Believe me me when I tell you, ECHL hockey is ghetto. Don't get too optimistic 

The only promising prospects that ever head to the ECHL are goalie prospects. 

7 hours ago, Spotted Zebra said:

Playing on a team with McDavid

yep. but people were still excited to have gained a prospect with no loss. he was a free add. like I said. if he turns out to be a decent NHL pro. great. if not. no major loss to the team. see how things go for him next season. hope he gets some AHL time. 

14 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

yep. but people were still excited to have gained a prospect with no loss. he was a free add. like I said. if he turns out to be a decent NHL pro. great. if not. no major loss to the team. see how things go for him next season. hope he gets some AHL time. 

well if we have 3 prospects pushing for nhl spots with gaunce grenier and Z then maybe he gets a chance at camp. but could land a ahl deal with another club if we chose to not retain his rights, which sounds unlikely but you never know. He is young still worth keeping around for at least 1 more year

I just don't get why management (Utica/Vancouver...whoever's in charge) hasn't/didn't give Fox a shot in Utica. Really unfair the lack of opportunity he was given.

Leads the team with 50 points in 53 games and also goals. Not to mention he's 2nd in the league in goals trailing by just 1 I think. 

...what's most bizarre is he started off in the E because Utica had an abundance of forwards to begin the year and yet when Utica was facing all those injuries during the season, they chose to sign PTO's instead on recalling Fox. Doesn't make any sort of sense and goes to show how unfair of chance Dane has got, especially with him doing so well in the E. 

Unfortunate and adding all the pieces up, looks like he has next to no future in this organization. Sucks because idk why they don't at least give him a chance...doesn't hurt anyone and there's a good chance he would've done well in Utica considering how he was developing and playing with the k-wings. One thing I don't like about this regime tbh. Once they decide on if a guy doesn't fit their model, they just give up on him completely. Look at the Shinkaruk situation...like sure he might not fit your model but don't just let go and not give it a crack/him a chance. Same thing with Fox is going on it seems.

Although it seems unlikely at this point, I hope Fox is given a spot/chance to crack Utica's roster next season.

2 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

I just don't get why management (Utica/Vancouver...whoever's in charge) hasn't/didn't give Fox a shot in Utica.  ...

Although it seems unlikely at this point, I hope Fox is given a spot/chance to crack Utica's roster next season.

I don't pretend to know why Fox has a total of 1 AHL game in his two pro years, but doesn't his contract expire this summer?  (That what shows for him on generalfanager.)  Assuming that to be the case, given that he's been left in the ECHL while the Comets signed several ECHL forwards to professional tryout contracts, my guess is that if he's in the AHL next season it won't be with the Comets.

7 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Fox, Valk, and Blomstrand have all performed well, yet they are signing guys like Brandon Marino, Kellen Jones, Cam Reid, Gregor Hanson and Michael Pereira from random ECHL teams. Sucks to see. 

Travis Green has autonomy over the line up in Utica. Clearly he prefers other ECHL PTO guys over the Kalamazoo three. 

As much as Utica's needed some reinforcements they haven't pulled from the Zoo, they haven't used Fox, Blomstrand or Valk. It may be the Canucks aren't interested in keeping them going forward, but they've also had great chemistry as a line and perhaps they just want to bring all three to Utica at once. I could understand the Canucks walking away from one or two and/or possibly signing AHL-only deals, but to walk away from all three considering some good success in the ECHL would be surprising.

This is especially true in my opinion since not only do we have contract space (45 currently, and even if we add we have some expiring as well) but we also have room in the AHL with Shinkaruk traded, Grenier waiver eligible, and Gaunce and Zalewski potentially challenging for spots in Vancouver as well. We know Kenins was being shopped and there's very little coming from junior or otherwise to fill the gap as well, so there is space unless they have more Cracknell's and O'Reilly's they'd like to sign instead as pro AHL'ers.

I think at this point we can say with some amount of certainty that Fox won't be getting a chance.  From a fans standpoint it's pretty disappointing.  He's always one of the most exciting guys in the prospect tourneys and dev camp; even some pre-season games.  I guess management sees too many negatives that we are ignoring or simply not seeing.

Archived