The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dane Fox | LW/C

Go Go Canucks Go

I say again.

He played with Horvat in London and they did OK occasionally paired together.

Now he plays with Gaunce in Eerie and they are doing more than OK together

He has prior experience with 2 of our top prospects and will most likely grow with them in Utica.

Solid signing basically a freebie. And there are still a few spots to fill to hit that 50 player mark.

Now, can we queue the Gillis is now ready to make a run at McDavid because we have his linemates comments?

Last I heard, Fox had been on a line with McDavid and Brown all season while Gaunce was with Burakovsky and someone else. This may have changed with McDavid being at the Wjc.

What does this even mean? An overage guy that everyone including the Canuck's passed on? If ya think Gillis can flip him for a second rounder yer delusional.

It means its a free draft pick that may help to make up for the lost one last year. Not saying it will, but that's the hope.

thanks Enstein. Free second rounder?? Hahahaha. Six months ago no one wanted him as a 6th rounder.

Wanna stop posting like a tool?

I didn't say I agreed with him, but that was the other poster's point of view. Don't forget, 6 months ago he wasn't leading the OHL in goals, so that's not a fair comparison. Look at Tanner Pearson. Wasn't drafted in 2011, then led the OHL in points, was drafted 30th in 2012. I don't think Fox is on the same level as Pearson was, but the point is that one season can make a big difference.

And don't act like you're smarter either, you thought that the other poster meant we were going to trade Fox for a 2nd.

Wanna stop posting like a tool?

I didn't say I agreed with him, but that was the other poster's point of view. Don't forget, 6 months ago he wasn't leading the OHL in goals, so that's not a fair comparison. Look at Tanner Pearson. Wasn't drafted in 2011, then led the OHL in points, was drafted 30th in 2012. I don't think Fox is on the same level as Pearson was, but the point is that one season can make a big difference.

And don't act like you're smarter either, you thought that the other poster meant we were going to trade Fox for a 2nd.

no, he said he was equivalent so a trade for a 2nd might be fair. Look, we all know some first rounders are busts and some un-drafted guys end up dooin' well but to call Fox a free second rounder 10 seconds after signing him is friggin' ridiculous and you know it (or at least you should).

Game I watched on SNET He played on a line with Brown, and Gaunce. I expect that to continue, as they are all around Erie while Burakovsky, and McDavid are at WJC.

Solid singing, much more exciting than Hamill or Polasek. The guy can put the puck in the net, and must understand the game on a pretty high level to play with McDavid or Gaunce for example.

no, he said he was equivalent so a trade for a 2nd might be fair. Look, we all know some first rounders are busts and some un-drafted guys end up dooin' well but to call Fox a free second rounder 10 seconds after signing him is friggin' ridiculous and you know it (or at least you should).

I'm agreeing that saying that Fox is a 2nd rounder is crazy so far. But he's impressing this year and who knows what he'll turn into.

Nothing wrong with positive expectations.

Overager playing on a line with a phenom. Tone the expectations down, cdc.

He has actually been playing with Gaunce/Burakowsky, and Brown lately and been doing just as good.

It's not all McDavid contrary to popular belief. Brown and Fox are good players too.

He has actually been playing with Gaunce/Burakowsky, and Brown lately and been doing just as good.

It's not all McDavid contrary to popular belief. Brown and Fox are good players too.

Actually, no. McDavid has assisted on plenty of his goals. But yeah, the teams' stacked.

And we got two of 'em. Woo.

Actually, no. McDavid has assisted on plenty of his goals. But yeah, the teams' stacked.

And we got two of 'em. Woo.

The key word is "lately". And yes he has been playing just as good with other players.

He had 2 hat tricks in 3 games about a month ago and only one goal was assisted by Mcdavid. The majority of his goals are assisted by Brown.

He has also scored 10 goals in the last 6 games, with only 1 being assisted by McDavid. The vast majority have been Brown and Gaunce assisting him. He's shown better chemistry with Gaunce than he did with McDavid.

Fox was snubbed last year in the NHL Draft and may suffer a similar fate this year. He broke his foot over the summer and only returned midway through the season. He has solid offensive skills (as evidenced by his 19 goals and 36 points in 37 games), but needs to work on his defensive game.

He has good, but not great, speed and needs to improve on his first step and acceleration.

From Hockeysfuture.

We are at 48 contract spots now, Gillis might be looking to sign one more. Hopefully a Utica player I want to see success there.

Fox plays on a line with McDavid and Brown.

Not sure why he didn't go drafted during his first eligible year. He had decent numbers on a stack Knight's team and then was near point per game player. He had a leg/lower body injury that set him back in his 2nd eligible year.

Here is a link from the London Free Press that describes some of the problems Fox had when he played for London before being traded to Erie.

http://www.lfpress.com/sports/knights/2011/08/15/18557296.html

One point in the record concerns discipline problem in London. This is the kind of thing that hurts in the draft and probably did hurt in the 2012 draft. In addition, he had a plus minus of -25 (that's minus 25) in 28 games with Erie in 2012. Then the injury last year would explain 2013. Apparently both his maturity and his health have improved, however.

It is impressive to sign a guy who leads the OHL in goals scored, even as an "overage" player. He is only 6 months older than Brendan Gaunce.

But Gaunce is a much better prospect. With his size, strength, and defensive abilities, Gaunce is very likely to able to successfully play bottom 6 in the NHL, and he has the offensive skills to chip in offensively. Even though Fox is lighting things up in the OHL, he is much less likely than Gaunce to successfully play bottom 6 in the NHL and it is always a question mark about whether scoring in Junior translates into scoring in the NHL. Like Kassian, he could be a "project". Still, looks like a good signing by the Canucks in that there is not much downside.

And Utica could use the help. They need scorers desparately.

I agree with the statement and it shouldn't be taken too literally.

The quality of Dane Fox as a prospect in our pool is like having a 2nd round pick from two years ago. Most 2nd round picks that are projecting as legit bottom 6 NHL players two years later are solid selections.

If I had the choice between Fox vs Honzik and Labate right now (despite any sort of draft selections/rankings) I would take Fox in a heart beat. This minute, if Fox was used with that second round selection (the one we traded to Minnesota) we would be calling him an awesome pick based on his production much in the vein of taking Cassels in the third round.

Archived