The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks don't miss Edler at all

gradin123

In Alex Edler's absence the Canucks are now 8-1-1 and that is despite the fact the Canucks also have lost Stanton during that time.

Since Edler's injury, The Canucks have relied much more heavily on Tanev, Hamhuis and Bieksa and they have all come through. In fact, Tanev has shown himself to be the reliable shutdown Dman that can lead a team. Tanev has contributed more offensively since Edler went down and he doesn't make nearly as many bonehead giveaways as Edler does.

Now, I know Edler has a no trade clause but he might be willing to waive it and if he is the Canucks really should consider trading him as part of a package for some secondary scoring.

On a night where we just lost our 8th defenseman and have to call up a prospect who is going to be utterly jet-lagged you make a thread about how the Canucks don't miss Edler at all?

Well they don't. Tanev has stepped into Edler's role and has done a much better job. They won by a shutout tonight and gave up only 18 shots.

I would trade Alex to a team that he would feel comfortable with.

This is very important actually. That's how you get Edler out and I agree, as awsome as Edler is, the Canucks are playing greater defense by not relying on him as a go to guy. Injury has proven that so far.

Perhaps filling Lidstrom's skates could be something Edler desires. All parties win in an Edler to Detroit trade. Detroit is a fair player and has been for decades. They won't try to Florida-lowball the Canucks in value, they know what they're getting in Edler. Detroit has the experience and know-how to turn Edler's game into something big. The Canucks however, do not for they never had a T1D that made the books. Detroit has.

So whatever Detroit gives to the Canucks is a bonus as Edler is no slouch either.

Well they don't. Tanev has stepped into Edler's role and has done a much better job. They won by a shutout tonight and gave up only 18 shots.

Tanev is a shut-down defenseman, not an offensive defenseman. His whopping 1 goal in his last 5 games isn't really filling Edler's role. Whether people want to believe it or not, we are a better team with Edler in the lineup than without.

He still could be quite useful for us. I hope Torts eventually decides that the team is better of with Edler playing a purely offensive role and uses him on the third pairing (I know it's expensive, but we have a deep blueline and you play with what you have) making us a solid pairing team.

No, we don't miss him at all. I'm sure we can definitely ride on Hamhuis playing 29 minutes a game for the rest of the season & playoffs! You might want to get your eyes checked, bud.

He had 29 minutes tonight because Alberts got hurt. Corrado is coming up now and is probably a better option than Alberts anyways

I think there is this other player called Garrison who has 23 points in 40 games.

Ok but what is Edlers role then? Edler wasn't averaging more than 1 goal in every 5 games. There is no doubt that Tanev has seen his responsibilities increase heavily since Tanev has gone out and he has been very solid.

Archived