The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks don't miss Edler at all

gradin123

Edler provides offense, which we sorely lack. Not to mention he just signed a multi-year deal with a NTC.. just give it up already.

Tanev is a 3.5 mil salary and a nagging injury away from being the next guy packaged with Booth and a 1st for anyone.

I call bs. What offense? The Canucks desperately tried to insert Edler into the Ehrhoff role after he left but Edler has been a complete failure as a offensive Dman despite being given every opportunity in the world to succeed.

I call bs. What offense? The Canucks desperately tried to insert Edler into the Ehrhoff role after he left but Edler has been a complete failure as a offensive Dman despite being given every opportunity in the world to succeed.

By "offense" I was referring to the larger-than-average amount of goals and assists he has recorded over his NHL career. He doesn't skate as well as Ehrhoff, but he also didn't bolt to Buffalo on us.

Edler is a physical offensive defenseman. I remarked Tanev only had 1 goal because that's all he has produced (no assists). Tanev is a stay at home shutdown defenseman so it isn't his job to score, it's his job to shut down the other team's forwards (something he has been doing consistently and there has been no change to this even with Edler being injured). If Tanev were replacing Edler he would be seeing more PP time and racking up points, something he hasn't been doing.

Yes, he has 3 goals and 0 assists since Edler went down. That's it. The point I was making is that Tanev is not replacing Edler in the regard of being an offensive defenseman.

I'd agree Tanev won't be an offensive defenseman. Thing is, does Alex fit that bill? 6 points in 22 games (the time between his suspension and injury) doesn't really fit that billing, does it, considering he played more than 20 minutes in 20 of those games? He's also only contributed two power-play points all season! Does that really make him the offensive PP guru we need to get things started, with those stats? Would you really pay $5 million for that? Add on his +/- and lack of chemistry with Garrison on ES along with their somewhat redundant role on the PP (both are bombers but Edler's lack of creativity means he basically always tees it up for Jason) and it's tough to not get frustrated, when he doesn't come close to playing how he could.

He is however, a heck of a defenseman. Rare is he out of position. And what wins in the playoffs, is defense. Defensemen playing defense. Willie Mitchell style. There's enough firepower from the back end on this team. The Canucks need a big bodied, pure sniper if anything.

I'd argue the Canucks need what Edler is inconsistent at doing, a physical stay at home D man like Seabrook. If Edler were to go (and for the record I think he has too much potential to trade-just have to give the guy some time) the Canucks should target a young Seabrook-esque player like Tinordi among others. Add a young to the mix and the Canucks fill some needs.

The team is playing well without Edler, but I dont think people realize his potential against the top, big teams. Edler is a big strong player and takes up alot of space. The defense needs that.

Eddy has had injury issues and he also may not have adapted successfully to Torts` system.

Look at Hamhuis and how he floundered under Torts and now he is back to playing like we know he can.

If Eddy comes back as before his next 4-6 years could be the best years of his career.

Pay Sundin $10m and Booth $4.2 or pay to have a potentially great d man in Edler $5m and hope the past year of his back problems are a worry of the past.

Eddy has had his share of problems but I hope the .org can also find a decent partner that compliments his style of play when he gets back healthy.

Edler provides offense, which we sorely lack. Not to mention he just signed a multi-year deal with a NTC.. just give it up already.

Tanev is a 3.5 mil salary and a nagging injury away from being the next guy packaged with Booth and a 1st for anyone.

3.5mil salary? Since when? And what makes you think Canucks management would be so willing to package its best defensive prospect in recent history (and debatably most improved D-man--just look at where Tanev is now vs. where he was in '11)? We're paying bottom dollar for a young up and coming top 4 d-man and you think management is going to boot him out the door if he gets an injury?

Maybe I was missing your point, but that seems awfully silly.

No we miss him. We're just playing more of a tight trapping game to get these wins. It's unsustainable though.

We shouldn't have to desperately hang on in the third to beat a team like the Calgary Flames.

You don't take out the highest-minutes defenseman of the season and don't eventually feel it.

No we miss him. We're just playing more of a tight trapping game to get these wins. It's unsustainable though.

We shouldn't have to desperately hang on in the third to beat a team like the Calgary Flames.

You don't take out the highest-minutes defenseman of the season and don't eventually feel it.

The Blues just blew a 3rd period lead to the flames a few days ago. The Flames aren't Buffalo bad.

Last season Edler was 26th in Pts for all Defensemen and the season before that ( full season ) he was 7th overall in the entire league. Erhoff in 2011-12 was 37th and last season he was 31st. Edler wins hands down :rolleyes:

What are you doing?! This is CDC, your numbers and facts aren't welcome here!

Archived