The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yakapov.. What to do?

AFrame14

Lol yakapov a healthy scratch again today. Is it just me or is this a terrible way to handle yakapov? Playin him 6 mins a game with no pp time/ benching him is no way to handle this particular player IMO. Edmonton has already missed the playoffs, why not throw yaks out there with nuge and hall. Or gagne and Perron? Give him lots of ice time and let his confidence grow. The way it is going, yaks will bolt to Russia as soon as his contract is up, that's why they arent sending him down to the ahl like most teams would with young players ( corrado)..

I think Eakins has gotta start playing him 15 plus mins a game cuz there is nothing to lose but thier former first rounder to the khl.

It's either that or trade him but his value is lower then it should be and he can easily still turn out to be a 30 goal scorer.

What would u guys do with yaks? Obv whatever Edmonton is doing to develop young players is working great!!

Well Yakapov hasn't done anything in this league really.

Yakupov on the other hand refuses to play a 2 way game and there is talk that he could very well be on his way as early as tonight.

He needs to be on a line anchored by a solid 2 way D man like Toews, Kesler, Bergeron or the like or even backed up by 2 stay at home D men. He will not produce or survive on an offense only team because he is an offense only player. Exactly what we need on our 2nd line but not the player we need.

Here is to hoping that they've done the right thing and sent him somewhere he can thrive. the kid is to good to suffer this bad

With his attitude and ego it doesn't appear that he is handling being benched/ scratched well at all. With any other player I would say send him down or bench him. But since he is russian( not against Russians but they are more likely to want to play in the khl than North American players) ,, this is a very risky move and Edmonton could lose him for nothing.. Is yaks pouting for the rest of the year really that much better of an option then just giving him lots of oce time?? Eakins is gonna have to break him if this strategy is gonna work

It's clear tho that the oilers need to trade some of thier small forwards for more balance or they will always miss the playoffs

Yak needs to be moved...In Edmonton if they trade Eberle and Yak bails they have a hole they need to move him for whatever they can get for him...Would say Detroit be a good place for him because Datsyuk could whip him into shape for reinforcing the stereotype that Russians shouldn't be top picks because of attitude problems

Yakapov, has not been use correctly in the last 2 seasons. playing 4th line mins (6-8) is not gonna help him at all. the coach should be fired at season end. then bring in a guy like wilson/laviolette. make yakapov play with somebody decent like gagner and eberle. like chicago and pittsburgh

they don't have

crosby malkin neal

or

kane toews hossa

edmonton should

smyth rhn hall

eberle gagner yakapov

draft a dman, and sigh a big money fa. and they could be decent next year

With his attitude and ego it doesn't appear that he is handling being benched/ scratched well at all. With any other player I would say send him down or bench him. But since he is russian( not against Russians but they are more likely to want to play in the khl than North American players) ,, this is a very risky move and Edmonton could lose him for nothing.. Is yaks pouting for the rest of the year really that much better of an option then just giving him lots of oce time?? Eakins is gonna have to break him if this strategy is gonna work

It's clear tho that the oilers need to trade some of thier small forwards for more balance or they will always miss the playoffs

You clearly haven't paid attention to the whole Yakupov saga this season. He has not once acted like a primadonna. He has taken his lumps in stride. Every comment from him is that this is part of the game and that he has to work harder to get into the lineup and get more minutes. I suppose you are judging him by the fact he celebrates and hotdogs on the ice. I chalk his troubles up to the old sophomore jinx and having a rookie coach who has found his whipping boy.

You clearly haven't paid attention to the whole Yakupov saga this season. He has not once acted like a primadonna. He has taken his lumps in stride. Every comment from him is that this is part of the game and that he has to work harder to get into the lineup and get more minutes. I suppose you are judging him by the fact he celebrates and hotdogs on the ice. I chalk his troubles up to the old sophomore jinx and having a rookie coach who has found his whipping boy.

Well said. And I'd add the Oilers' clueless front office to the problems.

Edmonton must be kicking themselves for taking Yakupov 1st overall.

He just seems to have such a bad attitude.

I'll admit I didn't follow that draft year much,

who are some of the other top players from that draft they could have picked instead? Have any made a name for themself yet?

The Oilers clearly needed a defence prospect going into this draft. The chose the BPA in Yakupov. The top 10 picks that year had 8 defencemen vs 2 forwards. The defencemen taken were R Murray, G Reinhart, M Rielly, H Lindholm, M Dumba, D Pouliot, J Trouba and S Koekkoek. In hindsight, the Oilers crapped the bed in this draft and should have traded down.

Trade him to Pittsburgh for Letang (theres rumours he may want out or vice versa). Yak can play with Malkin and it's a wide open Eastern Conference, would suit his style more.Edit: Pittsburgh has Pouliot coming up the ranks to replace Letang as a number 1/2 in a few years. Not as offensive as Letang obviously though...

Archived