The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts = Best Canucks Coach Ever

bohonos76

Somehow I don't think its the coach.

I think it is. His system doesn't mesh with this group. 5 players having some of the worst years of their careers...and they are all in our top 9. I hate to say it, but Torts lost the room already. Look at the Dallas game, they've tuned him out. I've seen it before and this group is showing all the signs. Top players asking out, top players not performing, team looking like this is their first year playing.

I think a message is being sent from the room. For this team to be better next year, Torts and Gillis have to go.

I'll be happy to see Gillis go and honestly, I can't say I'll be sad to see torts go too, his act got real old real fast.

I think it is. His system doesn't mesh with this group. 5 players having some of the worst years of their careers...and they are all in our top 9. I hate to say it, but Torts lost the room already. Look at the Dallas game, they've tuned him out. I've seen it before and this group is showing all the signs. Top players asking out, top players not performing, team looking like this is their first year playing.

I think a message is being sent from the room. For this team to be better next year, Torts and Gillis have to go.

I'll be happy to see Gillis go and honestly, I can't say I'll be sad to see torts go too, his act got real old real fast.

Or, perhaps, the problem is the players. I guess you suddenly forgot that this team showed no heart under AV last year either. Players were already on the decline. No coach will fix this. The only fix is getting rid of our core. They are done.

calling it hindsight is fine and dandy, but it could more aptly be described as a lack of foresight (by some - i personally thought torts was a catastrophic hire from the beginning and never swayed despite limited short term success).

calling it hindsight is fine and dandy, but it could more aptly be described as a lack of foresight (by some - i personally thought torts was a catastrophic hire from the beginning and never swayed despite limited short term success).

You're so smart dude, I wish I had your foresight. Did you foresee Torts trying to jump Hartley? Did you foresee a CLEAR disconnect after that point?

You're so smart dude, I wish I had your foresight. Did you foresee Torts trying to jump Hartley? Did you foresee a CLEAR disconnect after that point?

of course not. foresight and clairvoyance are different things.

i foresaw tortorella being a bush league coach that has accomplished nothing in a decade other than to have the game pass him by.

he's not fit to coach in this league. he doesn't have the tactical intelligence or the motivational techniques required to succeed with modern professional hockey players.

of course not. foresight and clairvoyance are different things.

i foresaw tortorella being a bush league coach that has accomplished nothing in a decade other than to have the game pass him by.

he's not fit to coach in this league. he doesn't have the tactical intelligence or the motivational techniques required to succeed with modern professional hockey players.

True enough, sorry for fronting so hard. I agree with you for sure. I feel like everything that has gone down has been a direct correlation with too much playing time. I like the Sedins on the PK IF we are taking a ton of penalties early. They need to be involved in the game so it makes sense, but when they play it regularly for no reason, it makes players like Burrows or Hansen completely invisible. They thrive off that kind of thing. He needs to adapt for sure, and as history shows...

True enough, sorry for fronting so hard. I agree with you for sure. I feel like everything that has gone down has been a direct correlation with too much playing time. I like the Sedins on the PK IF we are taking a ton of penalties early. They need to be involved in the game so it makes sense, but when they play it regularly for no reason, it makes players like Burrows or Hansen completely invisible. They thrive off that kind of thing. He needs to adapt for sure, and as history shows...

Sedins got a lot of minutes because we have no one else good enough to take those minutes.

Ideally there was nothing wrong with Torts trying to make the Sedins complete players problem is they have been stuck with AV's system for so long they weren't able to properly adjust. My guess is what happened is that in the early part of the season it was working but as the team moved on through the season fatigue started kicking in that and Torts isn't used to the western conference travel (especially for the Canucks) in managing the health and fatigue of players.

It kind of shows once the team started to look slower and looked older as the season progressed.

Still confident Torts can turn it around (not this season) but maybe the next one with the team getting younger he could probably put the Sedins back in their roles and create complete players of newer and younger guys. Maybe.

Torts has won a Stanley Cup, Took the Rangers in the conference finals, and only missed the playoffs twice of the last 10 seasons. So I would give Torts another season or two before giving him the boot. Even if worse comes to worse, the team goes lower in the standing at least the teams gets a high draft pick :)

Ideally there was nothing wrong with Torts trying to make the Sedins complete players problem is they have been stuck with AV's system for so long they weren't able to properly adjust. My guess is what happened is that in the early part of the season it was working but as the team moved on through the season fatigue started kicking in that and Torts isn't used to the western conference travel (especially for the Canucks) in managing the health and fatigue of players.

It kind of shows once the team started to look slower and looked older as the season progressed.

Still confident Torts can turn it around (not this season) but maybe the next one with the team getting younger he could probably put the Sedins back in their roles and create complete players of newer and younger guys. Maybe.

Torts has won a Stanley Cup, Took the Rangers in the conference finals, and only missed the playoffs twice of the last 10 seasons. So I would give Torts another season or two before giving him the boot. Even if worse comes to worse, the team goes lower in the standing at least the teams gets a high draft pick :)

It was because of his decisions that we lost arguably our best player and others want to leave. Fire him NOW

I was listening to Ray Ferraro yesterday talking about Torts' reaction to the Flames starting their goons the last time we played them, and he said something that I think describes Torts to a tee.

He said that coaches like Scotty Bowman and other forward thinking coaches would laugh if they saw who the Flames were starting that night, then go to their top line and tell them to go out, pad their stats, and have some fun.

The fact that torts did what he did tells you all you need to know about what this team is this year, which is they are passive, reactive, and only focussed on preventing rather than scoring goals.

Torts is an old school coach using old school coaching methods on new-age players, with the results usually being exactly the mess we see today.

If we actually are starting our rebuild and planning to bring in both youth as well as aggresssively going after UFA's with our new-found cap space, then torts needs to be fired ASAP.

I was listening to Ray Ferraro yesterday talking about Torts' reaction to the Flames starting their goons the last time we played them, and he said something that I think describes Torts to a tee.

He said that coaches like Scotty Bowman and other forward thinking coaches would laugh if they saw who the Flames were starting that night, then go to their top line and tell them to go out, pad their stats, and have some fun.

The fact that torts did what he did tells you all you need to know about what this team is this year, which is they are passive, reactive, and only focussed on preventing rather than scoring goals.

Torts is an old school coach using old school coaching methods on new-age players, with the results usually being exactly the mess we see today.

If we actually are starting our rebuild and planning to bring in both youth as well as aggresssively going after UFA's with our new-found cap space, then torts needs to be fired ASAP.

Well said. This is pretty much the same team that won the president trophy two years back and the division last year. Only difference is we have a coach with some seriously mental health issues.

I don't know how anyone can call him the best coach ever when he has coached less than a season and the team is currently out of the playoffs.

We need to give him more time (and better players) before we decide. Maybe you like his style but results are what matter.

Didn't he managed to get Luongo out of town? MG would still be waiting without Tortorella acting. Luongo's agent is 100% clear on that, the March 2 game made that trade.

Well said. This is pretty much the same team that won the president trophy two years back and the division last year. Only difference is we have a coach with some seriously mental health issues.

Well said. Well said. LMAO. Completely agree.

Archived