The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sens’ Ryan upset with Burke’s ‘gutless’ comments

Ryan is slow and the top two centers for the U.S. aren't exactly playmakers. Which is why he lost out to Oshie who is faster and more of a playmaker. Not like I care, honestly I don't think either the U.S. or Canada is going to do well. Sweden is my favorite to win gold with the hometown Russians second.

The problem is the two guys above him also play RW, which leaves little room for Ryan in the top 6 unless one of those players moves to their off wing. Personally I would have taken Ryan and gone with 3 pure offence lines but I guess team USA wanted more defensive players in their bottom 6.

Valid point, but all three guys have played at different positions over their careers. Also, Ryan played on the left wing in ANA on that line with Getzlaf and Perry.

Ryan's like carrying a weak Senators team on his back. It's really insulting to be told you have a lack of worth ethic.

I don't understand why Burke always needs to add an exclamation mark to everything he says. Just say he wasn't taken due to the top 6 being crowded with Right Wingers. How hard is that?

The worst comment of the bunch was the "I should have taken Jack [Johnson] comment".

Burke is helping to build a team and I get that his job is to critically evaluate players, and that involves making some criticisms. However, the above comment is just spiteful, it does nothing to help evaluate whether Ryan should or should not make the team. That comment never needed to be made and only seems to have been made to degrade the player.

I was really disgusted by what Brian Burke said in the media about Bobby Ryan. I really believed that Brian Burke was a real, genuine guy but he's showed us that he's anything but.

That swipe he took at Ryan, saying he should've picked Johnson. That was a bush-league BS character assassination cheap shot, I don't care what anyone says, you don't say any of that crap when there's a reporter in the room.

He's got a history of waking up sleeping dogs:

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/01/26/leafs-gm-brian-burke-on-the-perils-of-nhl-trading/

The worst comment of the bunch was the "I should have taken Jack [Johnson] comment".

Burke is helping to build a team and I get that his job is to critically evaluate players, and that involves making some criticisms. However, the above comment is just spiteful, it does nothing to help evaluate whether Ryan should or should not make the team. That comment never needed to be made and only seems to have been made to degrade the player.

oh no.. a random CDC dude calling me a "troll" because I haven't embraced the soft culture everyones adopted..

and "troll" a sens player ive never liked.

Burke was the best GM in this franchises history. he almost single handedly saved this team from relocation at a time when this team was dirt poor, was losing and had empty arenas (also the Canadian dollar was worth around 60Cents to the US dollar).

as a life long canucks fan I will always be grateful to burke, and be angry at the way this franchise threw him under the bus.

and by no means will I tolerate little children who became "fans" 3 years ago constantly bashing him because of sheer ignorance.

if being a fan of burke and his style makes one a "troll" , then I will personally embrace it.

The should have taken Johnson wasn't meant as a swipe against Ryan but it was said in defence of Johnson who was also left off the US team.

Maybe this is true, maybe it is not (*EDIT: Read the actual article and he was talking in the defence of Johnson). Even if it is true, you don't pay a compliment to another player by degrading another. There are about a million different ways Burke could have complimented Johnson and he chose to take the one that simultaneously insulted Ryan.

If Ryan's only good in the top 6, then they should've went with

Parise-Kesler-Kane

Ryan-Pavelski-Kessel

He can play both wings, and Ryan is more offensively talented than the majority of who got picked. Not enough skill-based players on that team to win IMO.

Maybe this is true, maybe it is not. Even if it is true, you don't pay a compliment to another player by degrading another. There are about a million different ways Burke could have complimented Johnson and he chose to take the one that simultaneously insulted Ryan.

You would know its true if you read the article.

The irony as far as I'm concerned is that if Ryan is "passive" and doesn't have a very solid two way game, then what is Kessel? Or Patrick Kane? Those are two of the softest and biggest liabilities without the puck in the NHL. I get that the US wants to balance their lineup and that those two guys already spent all the soft that they can afford, but the comments come accross as fairly arbitrary and ironic.

Bobby Ryan has thrown 78 hits this season to Kessel's 16. He has a +8 turnover differential to Kessel's -25. He scores more points per 60 minutes than Kessel and is easily multiples grittier than the Leafs floater.

Bobby Ryan has gotten less than 50% offensive zone starts this season whereas Patrick Kane gets 68% (with only 50% offensive zone finishes - in other words, he concedes a whole lot of territorial advantage produced by his team-mates). His underlying numbers are easily better than the Hawk's one dimensional wonder.

The problem with one way wonders in a tournament like the Olympics is that the best teams in the world have third and fourth lines that play a two way game and still have the kind of offensive punch to exploit players like that - there aren't really the matchups there to shelter them against.

If you're going to leave Bobby Ryan off the team in the name of 'intensity' or defensive vacancy, then it's hard to justify a pair of one dimensional top 6 forwards who could easily hurt the US as much as help them, particularly with the kind of young blueline they have opted to go with...

I would be pretty irked also he is on pace for 35 goals and 70 points (16.5 shot percentage) and a +10 on a non playoff team. You could say he is having his best season. It's hard to say he didn't deserve it.

Archived