The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sens’ Ryan upset with Burke’s ‘gutless’ comments

The irony as far as I'm concerned is that if Ryan is "passive" and doesn't have a very solid two way game, then what is Kessel? Or Patrick Kane? Those are two of the softest and biggest liabilities without the puck in the NHL. I get that the US wants to balance their lineup and that those two guys already spent all the soft that they can afford, but the comments come accross as fairly arbitrary and ironic.

Bobby Ryan has thrown 78 hits this season to Kessel's 16. He has a +8 turnover differential to Kessel's -25. He scores more points per 60 minutes than Kessel and is easily multiples grittier than the Leafs floater.

Bobby Ryan has gotten less than 50% offensive zone starts this season whereas Patrick Kane gets 68% (with only 50% offensive zone finishes - in other words, he concedes a whole lot of territorial advantage produced by his team-mates). His underlying numbers are easily better than the Hawk's one dimensional wonder.

The problem with one way wonders in a tournament like the Olympics is that the best teams in the world have third and fourth lines that play a two way game and still have the kind of offensive punch to exploit players like that - there aren't really the matchups there to shelter them against.

If you're going to leave Bobby Ryan off the team in the name of 'intensity' or defensive vacancy, then it's hard to justify a pair of one dimensional top 6 forwards who could easily hurt the US as much as help them, particularly with the kind of young blueline they have opted to go with...

Kane and Kessel are better offensively than Ryan and were considered locks for Top-Six RW positions. Their speed and skill will suit the large international ice better. The main debate was whether Ryan should be included as a bottom six forward, or an extra forward. They went with more versatile players with Pacioretty, Wheel, and Oshie.

Understandable. I'd be pissed off too if I were Ryan. If they were going to cut him, they should have just cut him like Ryan said so himself and not make all of those comments become public. It's really embarrassing but I'm sure he will use it as a motivation to become a better player, I'm just glad he is no longer playing for the Ducks.

It's a bit surprising though that he was left off the team USA. But considering that they have Kane and Kessel who are probably one of the best game breakers in the NHL, I understand why they thought they had no room for Ryan. Although I do think that one more game breaker like Ryan would have been better. What if Kane or Kessel goes down to injury? Is Wheeler supposed to take over that role? They have way too many two way players that one more player like Ryan would have been a better and safer choice in my opinion.

BB..Mr Vainglorious, shameless ***hole. One of the insiders for Bettman's secret handshake-club. In private, bet this bloke's an even more blatantly egotistical sociopath. Remember being upset over 20 yrs back, just listening to this pompous primate verbally assaulting at whim, on Dan Russell's lame show. Guy represents all that is wrong(in terms of self-important character), in modern-day western society..It seems so prevalent in entertainment, media & sport. Individuals like Charlie Sheen, Rob Ford & Brian Burke. Then there's the next wave of 'embedded' lackeys who arrive, shortly thereafter,(Dreger-poodle-style) explaining/quasi-apologizing for their master's behaviour...To the Aquilini family, a sincere thank you for runnin' this CLOWN outa'TOWN,(1-way) on the quickest rail!

Very bold com

Just which team did he build into a 'winner'?? .. it can only be the Leafs, and he only partially 'built' them, and all they have won was the worst hockey 'spectacle' I have ever seen .. I would rather watch an All-Star game than that farce called the "Winter Classic" .. classic crap, says I !! .. I would take Yandle ahead of most of the American defensemen chosen.

Very bold comment

Faulk over Yandle

Brown/Stepan over Ryan....

Those decisions are awful, and it's gonna make Canada's roster look

"really,really,ridiculously, good-looking"

Left out Okposo too.

Kesler is lucky they aren't super strong down the middle.

Well.. he probably would have made the team anyway even though he's ice cold recently..

All I know is that the US is a lot weaker without Ryan and Yandle. As a Canadian I am sending Burke a thank you card.

You take out your best pure goal scoring threat that has an actual 2 way game and arguably your best and most mobile D man. And you have the stones to call them Gutless and a disaster while doing it.

Ya I am sure that is going to translate into a medal Burkie

Again, not sure why they did it but as a hockey fan cheering for my country. I would be equally as happy if the Swedes left out the Sedins and Karlsson and the Russians Ovechkin and Kovalchuk

As a fan cheering for my team (Canada) I have the exact opposite reaction as you. Anything we accomplish there is cheapened by having a lower quality of competition. I want to see how we measure up against the best of the best. To me, the best USA team should have Ryan on it.

As a fan cheering for my team (Canada) I have the exact opposite reaction as you. Anything we accomplish there is cheapened by having a lower quality of competition. I want to see how we measure up against the best of the best. To me, the best USA team should have Ryan on it.

Exactly. We already have an international tournament featuring weakened teams playing without their best players. It`s called the IIHF World Championship

ANy reason why Calgary employed that Clown? He is arguements waiting to happen behind doors. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Burke brings it to the next level uttering insults and pissing off his colleges. I'm glad Bobby Ryan fought back. Burke, not every player plays the way you want. But Ryan's skill sets speaks for itself you clown.

Burke's right.

ryan' thin skinned/ ultra sensitive response proves burke right.

What a gutless puke (to quote cherry)

you don't win with these type of ballarina's

Nah. You're wrong.

But you're entitled to be wrong so no worries.

Yeah but it will never happen as long as Brian "I can't build a team to save my life" Burke is in charge.

Ryan was trade bait for years in Anaheim, in spite of all world abilities. Burke is not that far removed form what went on after he left.

No doubt there are underlying issues...

But as Kane suggests just cut him and keep the dirty laundry behind closed doors. Just like MG on Hodgson... It makes Burke a cult hero with some just like Don Cherry, but it still helps the situation Nada and makes him look like (as someone else pointed out) a buffoon!

Burke didn't build the Ducks, he came in and added a couple of pieces and rode off with all the glory. Can't grasp the context of leaving Yandle off the US team, maybe Poile hates him for playing for the Yote's.

there were alot of pieces in place already in Anaheim when Burke arrived but that team was not going to win the cup without Pronger and Niedermayer, the backbone of the team

Archived