The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sens’ Ryan upset with Burke’s ‘gutless’ comments

Burke's right.

ryan' thin skinned/ ultra sensitive response proves burke right.

If anything it's the opposite. Ryan calling out Burke and saying he will use it as motivation, shows more intensity than not responding at all.

there were alot of pieces in place already in Anaheim when Burke arrived but that team was not going to win the cup without Pronger and Niedermayer, the backbone of the team

Absolutely. Anaheim was poised to reach the ultimate level and of course players like those two were attracted by that fact. Burke just had the good fortune to be there at the right time. Especially with Pronger and his personal issues in Edmonton. When he got the ultimatum to return stateside or else where else would he want to play and Anaheim had pieces Edmonton wanted. A grade schooler could have closed the deal on him.

The irony as far as I'm concerned is that if Ryan is "passive" and doesn't have a very solid two way game, then what is Kessel? Or Patrick Kane? Those are two of the softest and biggest liabilities without the puck in the NHL. I get that the US wants to balance their lineup and that those two guys already spent all the soft that they can afford, but the comments come accross as fairly arbitrary and ironic.

Bobby Ryan has thrown 78 hits this season to Kessel's 16. He has a +8 turnover differential to Kessel's -25. He scores more points per 60 minutes than Kessel and is easily multiples grittier than the Leafs floater.

Bobby Ryan has gotten less than 50% offensive zone starts this season whereas Patrick Kane gets 68% (with only 50% offensive zone finishes - in other words, he concedes a whole lot of territorial advantage produced by his team-mates). His underlying numbers are easily better than the Hawk's one dimensional wonder.

The problem with one way wonders in a tournament like the Olympics is that the best teams in the world have third and fourth lines that play a two way game and still have the kind of offensive punch to exploit players like that - there aren't really the matchups there to shelter them against.

If you're going to leave Bobby Ryan off the team in the name of 'intensity' or defensive vacancy, then it's hard to justify a pair of one dimensional top 6 forwards who could easily hurt the US as much as help them, particularly with the kind of young blueline they have opted to go with...

Amen.....

its a way to fire a player up thats for sure, Ryan will come up out firing. Did the media focus on the one thing Burke said or mention everything else he had to offer. Whatever, all the other GM's Managers Coaches left him off but its all Burkies fault, come on!!! He didn't fit in on the top 2 lines and the bottom 3 either. It's tough but thats what happens when you have a plethora of talent.

wait and see what happens to some of our players that will be left off and the __it will hit the fan, you watch, there will be so many needless threads made over it

Time will tell folks .. If the U.S pulls this out , I wonder how many of us will post that we were wrong and Brian was right ?

I also think Burke saying that bobby lacks intensity , is a lot different than saying that he is lazy .. 2 very different things ...

I will admit one thing:

Anaheim traded Ryan for youth, and ended up a better team now.

But if Burke really thinks he should have taken Johnson, then he's a horrible drafter - even with hindsight!!!

That's why the comment seemed spiteful. Even if he was trying to 'defend' Johnson, I can't think of many scouts/GMs that would take Johnson over Ryan.

In 8 NHL seasons (won't count his 5 games in 06-07) he has only once scored over 40 points and has only once been a + player. He is a nice -100 over his career.

loved how in the "Secret of life of Bobby Ryan" Burke was like a Godfather to him haha

I think Burke had in mind he probably should have drafted Jack Johnson because that was Anaheim's needs at the time.

Thinking about it, if Anaheim drafted JJ, Johnson wouldn't have been moved around and actually continued playing like a top 2 D for Anaheim while Bobby Ryan would be helping the Canes so much more now.

damn it Burke

Ironic how a failed hockey player who never played 1 game in the NHL can call an NHL player passive. Especially a player thats had the kind of career Ryan has. 4 straight 30+ goal seasons including his rookie year. I think Burke is actually envious of Bobby Ryan because he's a 26 yr old hockey player and Burke is a fat, old man.

Just saw this on the TSN site. I hadn't seen this posted here yet.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=440282

I think we all have pretty much a clear view about Burke. David Poile comes out and apologizes not only to Ryan but to the Sens organization tells you USA hockey doesn't care about Burke's nasty feelings.

Good on the USA hockey for making things right, immediately.

I think we all have pretty much a clear view about Burke. David Poile comes out and apologizes not only to Ryan but to the Sens organization tells you USA hockey doesn't care about Burke's nasty feelings.

I might add, that distancing themselves from Burke on this one was probably easy. Makes me wonder about his relationship with the rest of the US Olympic Hockey group?

I've got a soft spot for Burke - it's hard to dislike a guy who muscles your franchise into a pair of Sedins and stands behind his players the way he did/does, but no matter how you slice it, this just looks like a horrible decision, particularly attempting to defend it by running the player down publicly.

I think this is an instance where the right thin to do is apologize to Ryan. Burke has always struck me as someone who is stubborn, but man enough to own it when he puts a brain cramp into words.

It's a pretty significant disappointment to be denied the opportunity to participate in the Olympics - certainly there are many great players who miss the cuts on extremely strong national teams, but was it really necessary to add insult to injury?

Not only that, but how does this serve the US Olympic team? It adds a kind of pressure on the forwards that were selected instead that might not exactly be the 'productive' type of pressure. It sets the management up for a lot more criticism if those players don't produce, and it is a distraction that is divisive.

"Poile, who said he has spoken with Senators' general manager Bryan Murray about the situation, also revealed Friday that when the management team made their final selections, Ryan was on Burke's roster."

"Burke, who drafted Ryan second overall when he was the general manager with the Anaheim Ducks, also praised Ryan's ability as a game-breaker in the meetings, saying that while candidates Max Pacioretty and Brandon Saad were both better 60-minute players, "neither can do what Bobby can do."

It sounds in the end like the Burke quotes were cherry-picked and taken out of context.

Not surprising considering not all media have a love affair with Burke, but in the context that Poile describes, it appears that the comments were more along the lines of a pro and con of the player, starting with the devil's advocate part....

ie. Ryan isn't the most intense guy, and doesn't necessarily show up for 60 minutes, but for the 40 minutes he does play, he's simply an elite player that produces more than most guy's 60 minute effort, and therefore belongs on the team...

If what Poile says, that Burke's version of the roster included Ryan, is true, then it sounds like Burke might have been somewhat trolled here.

"Poile, who said he has spoken with Senators' general manager Bryan Murray about the situation, also revealed Friday that when the management team made their final selections, Ryan was on Burke's roster."

"Burke, who drafted Ryan second overall when he was the general manager with the Anaheim Ducks, also praised Ryan's ability as a game-breaker in the meetings, saying that while candidates Max Pacioretty and Brandon Saad were both better 60-minute players, "neither can do what Bobby can do."

It sounds in the end like the Burke quotes were cherry-picked and taken out of context.

Not surprising considering not all media have a love affair with Burke, but in the context that Poile describes, it appears that the comments were more along the lines of a pro and con of the player, starting with the devil's advocate part....

ie. Ryan isn't the most intense guy, and doesn't necessarily show up for 60 minutes, but for the 40 minutes he does play, he's simply an elite player that produces more than most guy's 60 minute effort, and therefore belongs on the team...

If what Poile says, that Burke's version of the roster included Ryan, is true, then it sounds like Burke might have been somewhat trolled here.

Thank you! That's what I've been saying in this thread for awhile now. As the small minority of you that actually read the ESPN article know all GM's were going back and forth on including Ryan on the team and saying positive and negetative things about him and other players. For some reason the Sportsnet article decided to focus soley on Burkes negatative comments about Ryan without mentioning the good things he said. Burkes not the "classless" or "gutless" one here the sportsnet "reporter" is.

The fact the Poile came out the next day should speak louder than anything, whether Burke was taken out of context or not. It's not that Ryan was left off the team it's how it was done. As usual when Burke opens his mouth, it's rarely positive and usually promotes confrontation. So yes, if he has been taken out of context this doesn't surprise me.

Archived