The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sens’ Ryan upset with Burke’s ‘gutless’ comments

Gotta agree ^

Just listened to Hockey Central where Poile spoke and it was completely cherry picked. That's what some of the softies on CDC need to learn. At the highest level the critique is heavy. They don't just support everyone blindly.

The truth is told and people know what they are doing well and what their bottleneck weaknesses are.

This was something they didn't neccesarily agree to but there was an understanding that the material would be reviewed before it went public. It never was the articles just came out.

Lastly, the media are leeches.

The fact the Poile came out the next day should speak louder than anything, whether Burke was taken out of context or not. It's not that Ryan was left off the team it's how it was done. As usual when Burke opens his mouth, it's rarely positive and usually promotes confrontation. So yes, if he has been taken out of context this doesn't surprise me.

Of course Poile came out. It's a matter that required additional context and commentary. Poile didn't throw Burke under the bus - he clarified the context of the comments - and an apology, whether or not the appearance of the comments was intended as delivered in media or not, was the right thing to do. Undoubtedly Burke's attempt to contact Ryan was to make that context clearer.

The media may not feel that Burke has the nicest hairdo in the NHL, but he's more reasonable imo than the typical depiction he gets.

I think this is another fairly good example of a situation where we jump to assumptions and conclusions when we only have a fraction of the story - I'm not sure where the perhaps selective editting took place, but one thing there is no shortage of in the media is cherry picking controversial material and taking it out of context in order to fuel a story/controversy.

Understandable. I'd be pissed off too if I were Ryan. If they were going to cut him, they should have just cut him like Ryan said so himself and not make all of those comments become public. It's really embarrassing but I'm sure he will use it as a motivation to become a better player, I'm just glad he is no longer playing for the Ducks.

It's a bit surprising though that he was left off the team USA. But considering that they have Kane and Kessel who are probably one of the best game breakers in the NHL, I understand why they thought they had no room for Ryan. Although I do think that one more game breaker like Ryan would have been better. What if Kane or Kessel goes down to injury? Is Wheeler supposed to take over that role? They have way too many two way players that one more player like Ryan would have been a better and safer choice in my opinion.

He pulls a sammuelsson?

Ryan was on Burke's final roster, MEdia took quotes out of context.

That's just typical burke language. being candid and telling it as it is with little sugar coating

Sorry to rain on the parade of all the burke bashers~~

all over tsn/Sportsnet Cant copy link for some reason

Just which team did he build into a 'winner'?? .. it can only be the Leafs, and he only partially 'built' them, and all they have won was the worst hockey 'spectacle' I have ever seen .. I would rather watch an All-Star game than that farce called the "Winter Classic" .. classic crap, says I !! .. I would take Yandle ahead of most of the American defensemen chosen.

3.5 million canadian viewers and a record in viewers say otherwise.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=698859&navid=nhl:topheads

I've got a soft spot for Burke - it's hard to dislike a guy who muscles your franchise into a pair of Sedins and stands behind his players the way he did/does, but no matter how you slice it, this just looks like a horrible decision, particularly attempting to defend it by running the player down publicly.

I think this is an instance where the right thin to do is apologize to Ryan. Burke has always struck me as someone who is stubborn, but man enough to own it when he puts a brain cramp into words.

It's a pretty significant disappointment to be denied the opportunity to participate in the Olympics - certainly there are many great players who miss the cuts on extremely strong national teams, but was it really necessary to add insult to injury?

Not only that, but how does this serve the US Olympic team? It adds a kind of pressure on the forwards that were selected instead that might not exactly be the 'productive' type of pressure. It sets the management up for a lot more criticism if those players don't produce, and it is a distraction that is divisive.

It's called publicity(getting lots of media attention) it's the same reason Thomas didn't go to the Whitehouse. In America they need to do that stuff to generate interest in hockey.

3.5 million canadian viewers and a record in viewers say otherwise.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=698859&navid=nhl:topheads

Wow a record number of viewers on a holiday with little to no other sporting events to watch. Impressive. But how long did they watch? Becuase I watch 2min and turned it off yet I still count as one of those 3million viewers. And why hasnt the other outdoor venues sold out yet? Its old and played out and makes the product on the ice that much worse.

"Poile, who said he has spoken with Senators' general manager Bryan Murray about the situation, also revealed Friday that when the management team made their final selections, Ryan was on Burke's roster."

"Burke, who drafted Ryan second overall when he was the general manager with the Anaheim Ducks, also praised Ryan's ability as a game-breaker in the meetings, saying that while candidates Max Pacioretty and Brandon Saad were both better 60-minute players, "neither can do what Bobby can do."

It sounds in the end like the Burke quotes were cherry-picked and taken out of context.

Not surprising considering not all media have a love affair with Burke, but in the context that Poile describes, it appears that the comments were more along the lines of a pro and con of the player, starting with the devil's advocate part....

ie. Ryan isn't the most intense guy, and doesn't necessarily show up for 60 minutes, but for the 40 minutes he does play, he's simply an elite player that produces more than most guy's 60 minute effort, and therefore belongs on the team...

If what Poile says, that Burke's version of the roster included Ryan, is true, then it sounds like Burke might have been somewhat trolled here.

To me sounds more like Poile and staff are trying to cover up Burke, downplay what he said, and work towards saying his words were taken out of context when really, they weren't. End of the day he said what he said so after the fact this got leaked saying he praised Ryan and whatnot is pretty pathetic in my view. And the fact Ryan responded back on what Burkie said and seemed to be hurt from the words..

And then you have this:

KANE_normal.jpgDrunk Patrick Kane ‏@Drunk_Kane885m

Paul Martin, who hasn't played since November 25 and is on IR made Team USA over Keith Yandle. Let that sink in.

Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell8m

Brian Burke on Keith Yandle when he's on the ice: "I always assume a disaster's going to happen,"

Lol...Burkie crossed the line without a doubt :lol:

And then you have this:

KANE_normal.jpgDrunk Patrick Kane ‏@Drunk_Kane885m

Paul Martin, who hasn't played since November 25 and is on IR made Team USA over Keith Yandle. Let that sink in.

Todd Cordell ‏@ToddCordell8m

Brian Burke on Keith Yandle when he's on the ice: "I always assume a disaster's going to happen,"

Lol...Burkie crossed the line without a doubt :lol:

Someone again tell me who the heck is Justin Faulk and how is he on an Olympic team?

To me sounds more like Poile and staff are trying to cover up Burke, downplay what he said, and work towards saying his words were taken out of context when really, they weren't. End of the day he said what he said so after the fact this got leaked saying he praised Ryan and whatnot is pretty pathetic in my view. And the fact Ryan responded back on what Burkie said and seemed to be hurt from the words..

You really need to read the orginal ESPN article the quotes were taken from. He praised Ryan in the same article the negative quotes were taken from, nothing was "leaked after the fact".

Ironic how a failed hockey player who never played 1 game in the NHL can call an NHL player passive. Especially a player thats had the kind of career Ryan has. 4 straight 30+ goal seasons including his rookie year. I think Burke is actually envious of Bobby Ryan because he's a 26 yr old hockey player and Burke is a fat, old man.

Common now. It's one thing to fat shame him, its another thing to bring up his oncoming death but I can't believe you would stoop so low as to calling him a man.

What Burke said is probably correct. He drafted Ryan and had watched him for yrs, picked him on 2010 Olympic team.

when u pick teams, u are suppose to say the good and bad about a player, and burke did say positives about him.

the main problem is that the press got a wind of it and published it.

when team Canada was assembled, they made a documentary on the selection process but they won't allow unfiltered conversation to be public, unless the guy made the team or is very close, but even then no negative thing is allowed to be aired.

Ryan didn't handle it well. No need to call burke gutless etc. Just say he is disappointed, will use it as motivation, cheer for team USA, and be ready to go in if there are injuries etc. Now the GM of team USA had to apologize? He will never be on team USA again.

Apologists tryin to cover Burke's ample azz.."Oh, he was ON Burkey's squad.." Right, after denigrating the guy's character, beforehand. I've read speculation that urke tried to acquire Ryan for the TML's..Maybe Ana asked him, & he said, "Lord, please not THAT team!" I bet BB has a lot of grudges to keep score of...

Then yesterday didn't Dreger say Ryan was on NOONE'S list? They should get their stories half-straight, at least.

Another reason to cheer against the spying, disingenuous, bully-nation!

It's called publicity(getting lots of media attention) it's the same reason Thomas didn't go to the Whitehouse. In America they need to do that stuff to generate interest in hockey.

Nice story, but Tim Thomas' snubbing the White House had nothing to do with attempting to generate publicity for the NHL - and if you think this story is a ploy to generate publicity I think you have a vivid imagination.

I don't think you've grasped the timeline or the context.

Archived