The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike gillis on team1040

Youth_Movement

I get the vibe he's mailing it in this season unless something pops up. He doesn't want to give up any of the main guys. He doesn't know if we're ready to win. Guess he's hoping that we'll be able to lure that 'one guy' in free agency and pop horvat in..

Kinda contradicts him saying in the summer 'we have a really solid group of guys and I think they deserve one more chance' doesn't it? I honestly think Gillis is too scared to make a trade.

he isnt scared to make a trade. There isnt much available. Everyone is competitive and the others dont wanna give up a good top 6. If there is a top 6 available every team in the league would put a call in. Salary has to match and you have to have a package that will get it. As it stands right now Im content with this team going forward. See what schroeder adds to booth and kass and see how far we go in the playoffs. We have alot of cap coming this off season with possibly some prospects stepping up.

he isnt scared to make a trade. There isnt much available. Everyone is competitive and the others dont wanna give up a good top 6. If there is a top 6 available every team in the league would put a call in. Salary has to match and you have to have a package that will get it. As it stands right now Im content with this team going forward. See what schroeder adds to booth and kass and see how far we go in the playoffs. We have alot of cap coming this off season with possibly some prospects stepping up.

While that may be true this year... he's been saying this same crap since 2010... since then we've seen Neal, Dupuis,Richards,Carter,Ryan traded to different teams...

- Happy New Year

- Agree with Torts, did not play good last game. Particularly the same guys who did play well the last 30 days.

- Injuries; all moving along well. Hard to say who is closest. No re-occurring issues.

- Horvat at WJC; performing extremely well, thinks the game, the biggest issue with young guys, even got better for us as training camp went along, hinted could have started here, but was better for his development to play junior / WJC.

- Shinkaruk and new trend of labrum / hip injuries. Game is faster and more physical, just a factor.

- Edler; 1st MCL sprain we have seen in some time, which used to be a more common injury.

- Newest prospect Dane Fox; a number of teams were after him, talent strong reflecting by his ability to score and competitiveness. Just fell because of some unfortunate circumstances he let himself get in to. Also likes that he plays with an edge.

- Was Dane a result of Schroeder perhaps having an expiring contract? No; its about depth and having good young players; started talking about Utica and it being our team > I drew the conclusion its about Utica perhaps? (my conclusion)

- re Botchford on long term Canuck playing thru long term injury needing surgery? No I cant confirm, I dont know what he is talking about! (after interview, Team 1040 guys mentioned guys who cover the team all the time observe and know, and can see an issue and mentioned defence...)

- What in our top end guys do you see as to why our top guys not scoring? Well, its not just us having trouble scoring; there are 3-2 and 2-1 goals everywhere and you need to know how to close out such games, goaltending, defensive play and shot blocking, highly aggressive PK is all factors. A trend all over, not here.

- Re "one top end fwd away," or Nic Jensen not making it this year and will u get a rental? First and foremost there has to be a deal to make, and many teams are looking for something like that. Trade discussions are as limited as I have ever seen, cap is tight this year, rentals in the past havent worked, getting and keeping guys you want to keep is a bigger priority. If its not there, its not there. We gave up a lot to get Bo Horvat, we're not giving him up for a rental.

- Kassian is starting to play better, so is Booth.

- When everyone is back, are you a good team? "I dont know!" We'll have to wait for them to come back, evaluate the market as that is happening, and "we'll see!" Dodges the question

- Stadium game will be a great event!

Burrows, Edler, Stanton and Schroeder all back at various times over the next few weeks...

Horvat: "performing extremely well....thinks the game extremely well...getting better all the time."

Kassian: "is playing really well and understanding how good a player he is."

"Very few players available on the market."

Whole team sucked vs TBL.

Lu is coming back.

Yep, Horvat is good.

Shinkaruk's injury not result of equipment.

Dane Fox has matured late, look for more players like this making the NHL.

Canucks' own farm team has made the whole organization stronger.

Canuck 'player with injury story' from Botchford not confirmed.

Every team in the league is having difficulty scoring.

Low scoring teams can have playoff success.

NHL goaltending is best ever.

The game is changing faster than ever, teams struggle to keep up.

NHL trade talks lowest ever.

Reluctant to take on rental players.

Doesn't know if the team as is, is 'good enough'.

Very few players are available on the market.

Likes the new coaching staff.

- Happy New Year

- Agree with Torts, did not play good last game. Particularly the same guys who did play well the last 30 days.

- Injuries; all moving along well. Hard to say who is closest. No re-occurring issues.

- Horvat at WJC; performing extremely well, thinks the game, the biggest issue with young guys, even got better for us as training camp went along, hinted could have started here, but was better for his development to play junior / WJC.

- Shinkaruk and new trend of labrum / hip injuries. Game is faster and more physical, just a factor.

- Edler; 1st MCL sprain we have seen in some time, which used to be a more common injury.

- Newest prospect Dane Fox; a number of teams were after him, talent strong reflecting by his ability to score and competitiveness. Just fell because of some unfortunate circumstances he let himself get in to. Also likes that he plays with an edge.

- Was Dane a result of Schroeder perhaps having an expiring contract? No; its about depth and having good young players; started talking about Utica and it being our team > I drew the conclusion its about Utica perhaps? (my conclusion)

- re Botchford on long term Canuck playing thru long term injury needing surgery? No I cant confirm, I dont know what he is talking about! (after interview, Team 1040 guys mentioned guys who cover the team all the time observe and know, and can see an issue and mentioned defence...)

- What in our top end guys do you see as to why our top guys not scoring? Well, its not just us having trouble scoring; there are 3-2 and 2-1 goals everywhere and you need to know how to close out such games, goaltending, defensive play and shot blocking, highly aggressive PK is all factors. A trend all over, not here.

- Re "one top end fwd away," or Nic Jensen not making it this year and will u get a rental? First and foremost there has to be a deal to make, and many teams are looking for something like that. Trade discussions are as limited as I have ever seen, cap is tight this year, rentals in the past havent worked, getting and keeping guys you want to keep is a bigger priority. If its not there, its not there. We gave up a lot to get Bo Horvat, we're not giving him up for a rental.

- Kassian is starting to play better, so is Booth.

- When everyone is back, are you a good team? "I dont know!" We'll have to wait for them to come back, evaluate the market as that is happening, and "we'll see!" Dodges the question

- Stadium game will be a great event!

Thanks for this ! First time I seen gillis not say " this is a great team " so he wants to make a trade but needs to see the right fit.

if the canucks stay in their current format with no upgrades, we get bounced in the first round.

Yeah I dont know. At the very least, the Canucks pound the crap out of their first round matchup so badly, round 2 goes quickly for that team. 7 games is a long time, and the Canucks have a good playoff team all around. Experience, toughness, granted our scoring has been weak but then the Sedins are likely tired from the first two months of the season. I cant underestimate this team with Tortorella standing behind them.

About halfway thru, responding to Kuzma's question on C-depth(3rd line C), MG explained the benefit of having their own AHL franchise. It's a big bonus which could prove to be a major wildcard, this spring, & every late-season, going forward.

TBay's win yesterday, is a perfect illustration. Their farm team won the AHL championship last yr, & we can see excellent, emerging young fwds(sometimes in tandems, who've played seasons together). Even missing their superstar Stamkos, they're still capable of offensively controlling play, with names you might not have heard before.

We can start to project such a scenario ourselves. For example next season, maybe Fox & Gaunce put up great pro numbers in the AHL(& develop further chemistry). Maybe another C can also do this with Shinkaruk or Jensen. If we're patient, this approach will make us so much deeper in the coming yrs.

We shouldn't be discouraged our strong NHL(reg season) numbers, leave us with later picks. Despite this fact, we've added the talent of the 2013 class, alongside names like Fox, Gaunce, Corrado, Archibald, et al...

Personally just enjoying watchin the development/gradual progress of both our teams, with MG & LG setting things up.

Be patient Canucks fans, how many big name moves worked out last year??? Team success not individual player success.

Big changes are overrated, if you factor the low cost at all our changes/upgrades, I would say the Canucks had one of the most successful offseasons last summer.

Patience. With the tight cap I don't expect much at all anywhere.. Look at all the teams with busy GM's, how are they doing?

Well, when we bail out in the first round Gillis will get tossed and we will get a new GM who is more likable.

Last year there was plenty of reason to question Gillis.

This year he said we were in reset mode, and he meant it. It just meant something different than many here anticipated;

Some thought we would dismantle the team. It really meant we were committing to growth through youth versus premium free agents and deadline deals as we had done the previous few years. See Zack Dalpe i/l of Simon Gagne or Ryan Stanton versus Ron Hainsey.

And we're better for it.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, it also looks we are saving all cap space to make runs next year and the year after. We're well coached, and may well make it past the first round. But all signs appear geared to next year and beyond.

Get used to it. If this plan is in place (it is!), it has already been sold to ownership. And MG is not going anywhere if we lose in the first round...

Thanks for this ! First time I seen gillis not say " this is a great team " so he wants to make a trade but needs to see the right fit.

He also said, could not type that fast, that teams have to learn how to win low scoring games 2-1, 1-0 and 3-2. I read that as; if he intends to go out and improve our scoring this year, he is not tipping his hand!

It's clear that Gillis has bought into the Torts philosophy of getting younger. Unfortunately it's very hard to trade for that so it's going to take time. Hunter and Bo were the start of that journey and unless it's the deal of the century, they are staying canucks.

Archived