The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Kings 3-Luongo 1

D.Doughty

A few points:

-This has to be one of the softest Defences to play against. Bieksa aside this is what we have:

Tanev, Hamhuis, Garrison, Weber, Corrado - no wonder they are running Lu all night. All those guys have strengths but intimidation is not one of them.

-That goon Sutter has figured out the Sedins - its easy...just do what Boston did. Play them tough and break the cycle on the boards and you pretty much neutralize them. It would be nice to see them score off of the rush.

-Other than Sestito and Bieksa there was very little physical push back. Its a shame guys like Wiese, Kassian, Booth, Kesler dont punish their D.

- Its frustrating to watch Kassian - he has the speed and the size to hit, but he doesnt. The guy is trying to be a playmaker and not a power forward....maybe thats what he is destined for....problem is Gillis thought he was getting a power forward when he traded hodgson.

-The league is heading towards low skill goon hockey. Assemble the biggest and heaviest guys you can, put a 5 man box around the net, dump and try and kill the opposition on the boards. Have a couple of snipers and tada - you have a cup contender. The current canuck roster cannot counter this in a 7 game series. In 2011 they had the skill akin to Chicago and could out skill the opposition (until Boston ran them through the rink and they were all playing injured). The Edmonton oilers are polar opposite of what type of team is a contender today - all skill and all soft....

I agree re: Kassian. This was a game he could step it up physically and really help our team. Instead, limited minutes and he didn't do much at all. He needs to crash and bang, and fight, if he isn't scoring.

There's NOBODY other than Sestito to do it. He's doing absolutely everything he can and working as hard as he can to line up big hits but he only gets 6 mins a night. Kassian has no more excuses left. He needs to show up. This was an emotional game that we needed his physicality in and he was no where to be found. There was a time towards the end of the 3rd period where he had Brown (FRICKING BROWN!!) lined up for a hit on the boards near our blue line and he passed on it. Disappointed beyond words in this kid. Please no more excuses.

Sestito has been earning his way on this roster the last few games I agree. And he was one of the few Canucks 'mucking it up' as Mark Lee would say

A few points:

-This has to be one of the softest Defences to play against. Bieksa aside this is what we have:

Tanev, Hamhuis, Garrison, Weber, Corrado - no wonder they are running Lu all night. All those guys have strengths but intimidation is not one of them.

-That goon Sutter has figured out the Sedins - its easy...just do what Boston did. Play them tough and break the cycle on the boards and you pretty much neutralize them. It would be nice to see them score off of the rush.

-Other than Sestito and Bieksa there was very little physical push back. Its a shame guys like Wiese, Kassian, Booth, Kesler dont punish their D.

- Its frustrating to watch Kassian - he has the speed and the size to hit, but he doesnt. The guy is trying to be a playmaker and not a power forward....maybe thats what he is destined for....problem is Gillis thought he was getting a power forward when he traded hodgson.

-The league is heading towards low skill goon hockey. Assemble the biggest and heaviest guys you can, put a 5 man box around the net, dump and try and kill the opposition on the boards. Have a couple of snipers and tada - you have a cup contender. The current canuck roster cannot counter this in a 7 game series. In 2011 they had the skill akin to Chicago and could out skill the opposition (until Boston ran them through the rink and they were all playing injured). The Edmonton oilers are polar opposite of what type of team is a contender today - all skill and all soft....

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Brown in a huge slump..you could have called the fact he would score against us tonight,,he should have been throttled for crashing into Lu,,sure he got shoved but he made it look good and even got his legs up on him...Sedins have become extremely boring to watch,present play taken into account they should be good for about 50 points this year...I hate to see the threads here after the next 5-6 games.

I was one of the few who did not want them re signed for more than 2 years. I would have given 7 mil though. Its hard to refuse them after all they have done for our franchise. I just dont see them as 80 point players again.

Ergo we have to rely on Kesler Higgins and Santo more.

We have a winner. Brown's "goal" should have turned the game into open warfare. Instead, Sestito shoves Quick and nobody else does anything.

and the second Sestito shoves Quick EVERYBODY from the Kings push him back and stand up for their goalie. GODF***#**$ DAMMIT we need players with dignity who are willing to play with men other than Sestito. FIGHT BACK FOR YOUR GOALIE!!! *@#&k!!!

Sistito is quickly becoming my favorite player. Levels LA crap, and then throws the gloves, but nobody will fight him, lol. Vancouver needs about three more of him, in my opinion.

I love Sestito and his play, I just wish he could crush people fighting wise. I just don't think he instills enough fear in the opponent.

Kassian is a very confused player.

QFT.

I watched him closely this game and he really has no clue what the hell he's supposed to do on the ice. When he has the puck on his stick he does this thing. However, when he doesn't have it he seems to just drift to wherever he's 'supposed to be'. He doesn't make any effort to engage in the play at all. I watched him stare at some poor Canuck being plastered along the boards in the neutral zone by two Kings and do nothing!

Reminds me of this guy.

19MooseMason.jpg

QFT.

I watched him closely this game and he really has no clue what the hell he's supposed to do on the ice. When he has the puck on his stick he does this thing. However, when he doesn't have it he seems to just drift to wherever he's 'supposed to be'. He doesn't make any effort to engage in the play at all. I watched him stare at some poor Canuck being plastered along the boards in the neutral zone by two Kings and do nothing!

Reminds me of this guy.

19MooseMason.jpg

duh-uhhhh stop badmouthing Moose I mean Kassian like that

I was one of the few who did not want them re signed for more than 2 years. I would have given 7 mil though. Its hard to refuse them after all they have done for our franchise. I just dont see them as 80 point players again.

Ergo we have to rely on Kesler Higgins and Santo more.

Kesler is an ideal third line shutdown center with some offensive upside. Higgins is a third line checking wing with less offensive upside. Santorelli has been way better than expected but he is not going to carry a 2nd line either. The Sedins are 75% of what they were in 2011 and they couldn't get it done then.

Gillis has. in 3 years, taken this team from a contender to a team that can't win a playoff game and this year, will likely not make the playoffs. The core is old and tired looking and doesn't fit the mold of what Gillis himself says the team needs...younger, faster, bigger. Our top 6 is soft and slow.

Gillis likes to reward average players for past service just as their production is beginning to drop instead of moving those assets for younger players on the up-swing. Right now, this team is not a contender and without a major upgrade to its top 6, isn't going anywhere. I think every player on the roster should be made available and they should be told so. Too many passengers and under-performers.

Archived