The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis silent while Canucks need him most (Bold moves my ass)

Jamaicanice

Didn't you hear, "trade talks are as dead as they've ever been"

Yeah, probably because your not willing to trade any big piece.... Gillis will be long gone after this year.

Kinda hard to trade a big piece with all the no trade clauses

NTC

H. Sedin

D. Sedin

Kesler

Burrows

Higgins

Edler

Bieksa

Garrison

Hamhuis

Luongo

He's only human, everything is 20/20 in hindsight, it's not an exact science, yadda yadda. In many instances, players just didn't produce.

Having no moveable assets and no cap space is not hindsight, that's poor planning.

Gillis and co created the cap mess that many fans could see coming.

It's kind of obvious: he has no idea if a player is good or not - kassian? A good pickup but not 2 years ago with a team with a closing window. Booth? Ballard?

Honestly he doesn't make good trades so he avoids them. We have needed to trade a top-4 defenseman for a top-6 forward for years.... Seriously. Does anyone really not see this? And wasn't trading a goalie supposed to keep this current window open - ???

Anyways, the conclusion is that te GM really is only looking to keep his job and not in really trying to win. Else he would risk winning now at the expense of missing the playoffs later. .... Or he doesn't believe in this group but won't do anything about it.

Blah.

Meh. I expect a big off season. Why would you want to do anything this season when we could potentially unload Booth and inject Horvat as a 3C next year?

Horvat won't be with the big team next year. Where is he going to play and get minutes? Third line defensive responsibilities? Not a chance. Fourth line f-all minutes? Not a chance. Utica-bound. Get used to it. :sadno:

Having no moveable assets and no cap space is not hindsight, that's poor planning.

Just for the record Deniro. When did we actually start agreeing on Gillis? I know I beat you to it but welcome to the darkside.

The problem is that the Canucks are in a specific situation. There is no doubt in my mind Luongo will again ask for a trade so he can be closer to his wife in Florida. Or at least in the east where its the same time zone.

The only way he considers staying is if our team is a bonifide contender, not an sagging aging core. The twins are not getting any younger and Ryan Kesler is in his prime right now. Hamhuis, Bieksa and Burrows are all on the edge of going backwards. Even Higgins is 30 now.

Why does Gillis want to put us in this middle ground where we cant win now and we cant tank for an excellent draft pick?

Either run us at the cup or tank the team.

To their credit, they've also (mostly) gotten us out of it beginning next year, presuming we don't do anything dumb here near the deadline.

Something has gotta give, I am so glad I was not down in Cali for that debacle of a weekend showing. We are like that little brother trying to play with the older bigger kids and just getting dirtied. The team needs more than over achievers you can only ride Santorelli so long before reality sets in.

It would be stupid to make a trade now... Better to wait for the deadline, or if we are in the playoffs, in the summer.

I personally think its time to consider unloading Kesler. He still has a lot of value, could put a contender over the top into Stanley Cup territory if picked up at the deadline. Price is a 1st rounder and a player, or a 1st and 2nd.

Edler goes in the summer, so does Bieksa... both are past their prime and on the way downhill.

Canucks need to stock up on draft picks, get a big body to the play with the Sedins and look to the future.

I just don't know who we could have as GM that could make anything happen. Making moves is tough in our situation, so I think we are doomed to suffer, no matter who is GM. We need players coming up, to perform.

I don't want to come across as Europeanist, but unless you were born and raised in north america, watching the stanley cup playoffs since birth, you can't possibly want to win the cup as much as one who was born here. Most Europeans look at the olympics gold as the pinnacle of hockey championships. North americans don't, its the stanley cup for us.

We may as well choose secondary teams to cheer for, as I say.

Just for the record Deniro. When did we actually start agreeing on Gillis? I know I beat you to it but welcome to the darkside.

I used to be one of his biggest supporters.

I could see what he was trying to do in 2011-2012, unfortunately it didn't work out.

Since then he hasn't done much in terms of "bold moves" as the teams around us continue to get better. I guess that's why the average shelf life of a GM is only 5 or 6 years. He built a great team, but seems to have lost his direction or motivation. Which is usually the signal that it's time for a change.

quote "And wasn't trading a goalie supposed to keep this current window open - ???"

I like Bo Horvath's potential but what has he done to help us this year???

quote "There is no doubt in my mind Luongo will again ask for a trade so he can be closer to his wife in Florida. Or at least in the east where its the same time zone."

Lu's recent (I call bull$hit) lower body injuries just show that he's only been here for his Team Canada considerations. Lu ain't no Tim Horton playing on a broken leg for sure...

Lu's soft, hopefully he'll be gone soon and thank goodness Lack is capable of handling the net!

Archived