The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How many players on the USA Olympic Team would have made Team Canada?

SeaBass

Just looking at the USA Olympic Team and listening to all the debate over who was included and who wasn't. It made me wonder if all the USA players were Canadian and eligible for Team Canada, how many of them would make the cut given Canada's depth.

My picks are:

Patrick Kane

Ryan Suter

Zach Parise

Possibles are:

Ryan Kesler

Daid Backes

Ryan McDonagh

What do you guys think?

I would take Suter, Kane, Parise, Kesler, and Miller. We would roughly have:

Stamkos-Crosby-St. Louis

Parise-Getzlaf-Perry

Sharp-Toews-Kane

Duchene-Tavares-Giroux

Bergeron-Kesler

Suter-Weber

Keith-Doughty

Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo

Boyle-Subban

Miller/Luongo/Price

Patrick Kane, Ryan Suter for sure.

At least one of their goaltenders.

Kesler would simply because Bergeron is penciled in on the team despite being injured and ineffective and a healthy Kesler > an injured Bergeron.

I'd personally say no to Parise because I don't think he's that great. He's a garbage-goal getter and we have garbage-goal getters who are just as good who aren't even a consideration.

Kessel would likely be on the team, IMO. Elite speed, shot, and playmaking. Only concern is fitness level on the big ice.

Kane

Suter

Quick

Kesler

Backes

All would be locks. Maybe a little bias in favour of Kes.

Wouldn't put these 2 as locks, we already have Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, and Getzlaf. Would take Kesler over Bergeron though. Backes would be on the bubble.

So you don't even think that the USA is going to make it to the finals? If Canada doesn't at least get silver, I'm going to remind you that you said this.

If Team USA makes it to the medal rounds, it's solely on their goaltending.

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago in another thread (the one about Bure saying Canada isn't a threat). Even if Canada never wins another medal for the next 50 years. They will always be the top team to beat in every international hockey tournament, until other countries can ice 2 or 3 competitive teams. It's all about picking the right group of players, not because the lack of talent Canada has.

If Team USA makes it to the medal rounds, it's solely on their goaltending.

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago in another thread (the one about Bure saying Canada isn't a threat). Even if Canada never wins another medal for the next 50 years. They will always be the top team to beat in every international hockey tournament, until other countries can ice 2 or 3 competitive teams. It's all about picking the right group of players, not because the lack of talent Canada has.

Um, that makes no sense. Any team that goes half a century without medaling would never be the top team to beat no matter which country they are from.

I would be surprised if the USA gets back to the finals, but I would definitely not count them out for at least making it to the bronze game.

Kesler and Backes.

and Schneider :bigblush:

Suter is over-rated (and has been for quite some time). His underlying numbers aren't very good - he gets 55% offensive zone starts, concedes territory (48% finishes), has a negative corsi on and relative corsi... 14th on the Wild.

http://www.behindthe...34 45 46 63 67#

Good player, but wouldn't make my Team Canada.

Just doesn't live up to the hype imo.

Same with Kane. Way too one way wonder for me. Many more complete players to choose from and I don't give a crap what the highlight reelers think.

Um, that makes no sense. Any team that goes half a century without medaling would never be the top team to beat no matter which country they are from.

I would be surprised if the USA gets back to the finals, but I would definitely not count them out for at least making it to the bronze game.

Read the last sentence.....please, thanks.

Probably Suter to pair up with Shea Weber and Patrick Kane with Jon Toews.

Quick would be a maybe. Is he good because he's good.... or is he just excelling due to his team success (of course he his part of).

Kesler wouldn't even make it. His Canadian counterpart is Mike Richards who is equally, if not more accomplished, yet he is a long short for making Team Canada.

Backes doesn't even compare to Getzlaf, and even Getzlaf might just be the 4th line centre or something.

Wouldn't put these 2 as locks, we already have Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, and Getzlaf. Would take Kesler over Bergeron though. Backes would be on the bubble.

Kesler can also play the wing just as effectively. This makes him far more valuable than Backes or Bergeron.

Kane , Miller and Suter are no brainers.

Kesler would almost certainly make it. Yzerman says he wishes Kesler was Canadian last time in 2010 and he is a better player now.

I would also take Backes as well as a dominating 4th line presence.

Archived